Cricket 26: Sri Lankans and Bangladeshis and... Irish, oh my

Zoë Sumra

UAE get up to 285/7 so not bad by them, still think that Zimbabwe should get this but still a good effort. The ICC's decision to get rid of the associates next world cup is looking stupider and stupider as this world cup goes on.

But what's the solution to shortening to tournament though? It's far too long in its current form.

Rejigging the pools would be a good idea but India wont allow that because they got eliminated at group stage in 2007.

But what's the solution to shortening to tournament though? It's far too long in its current form.

Rejigging the pools would be a good idea but India wont allow that because they got eliminated at group stage in 2007.

The 2007 format was good except for the fact that the super 8s took way too long. I like 4 groups of 4. with the top 2 in each qualifying. Either

1) the 8 nations qualifying for the second round be divided in to 2 groups of 4 for a super 8 stage with the top 2 in each group qualifying into the semis

or

2) the top 8 nations go straight into a knockout stage.

If the minnows are really bad against the major teams, then we will get a few one sided encounters but they won't be there deep into the tournament. If the minnows are good then we have a good competitive tournament, and if they manage to beat out a big side to qualify for the second round , then good on them and tough luck on the big team. Cricket is made better if the associates do well.

You are right though, India won't be too keen on this because they got knocked out early, and that is why we have this long format for this world cup. Still I think having 16 teams is the best idea. Not giving the associates a good chance will mean that cricket won't expand, and expansion is important for cricket.

The 2007 format was good except for the fact that the super 8s took way too long. I like 4 groups of 4. with the top 2 in each qualifying. Either

1) the 8 nations qualifying for the second round be divided in to 2 groups of 4 for a super 8 stage with the top 2 in each group qualifying into the semis

or

2) the top 8 nations go straight into a knockout stage.

If the minnows are really bad against the major teams, then we will get a few one sided encounters but they won't be there deep into the tournament. If the minnows are good then we have a good competitive tournament, and if they manage to beat out a big side to qualify for the second round , then good on them and tough luck on the big team. Cricket is made better if the associates do well.

You are right though, India won't be too keen on this because they got knocked out early, and that is why we have this long format for this world cup. Still I think having 16 teams is the best idea. Not giving the associates a good chance will mean that cricket won't expand, and expansion is important for cricket.

Yeah, two good option. I prefer option 1 myself.

My decision to put in 3 Zimbabweans in the fantasy team for that match seems to have paid off well even if two of them got a combined total of -4 Brendan Taylor as captain got a good haul of points. I also note that Fursuit Mania got 100 points by including a random UAE player as Captain which I would normally have thought would be a safe way of making a low score likely.

UAE get up to 285/7 so not bad by them, still think that Zimbabwe should get this but still a good effort. The ICC's decision to get rid of the associates next world cup is looking stupider and stupider as this world cup goes on.

I agree. It is a decent effort from the lowest-ranked team in the competition to put up that total.

I think your proposed format for the World Cup does make a lot of sense, even if it's never going to happen because of the ICC's paranoia about India being knocked out early.

Some other sports tournaments have tried to deal with similar issues by giving the tournament an asymmetrical structure so seeded teams have more opportunities to qualify for the final stages. The World T20 had a preliminary stage for the 9th-16th ranked teams with the winners of that stage qualifying to play against the seeded nations in the main group stages. I can't remember the exact details but I read that the Rugby League World Cup had an odd structure where the 4 best teams were in one group and had three quarter finals spots available while the weakest 4 nations were in a group with one quarter final spot or something like that. I'm not sure I'm particularly keen on either of those options but it's perhaps better than omitting the Associates entirely.

2019 World cup is scheduled to have 1 less game and last for 3 more days than the 2015 edition.

Only the ICC could come up with something like this.

I don't mind a format like the world T20, at least the associates will get some exposure to the world stage, even if it isn't ideal.

$13 for Bangladesh win against Australia. You'd be stupid not to take those odds!

Pity I don't have a betting account. Could've retired after Bangladesh smashes Australia :P

Wow they are offering $13, that's pretty generous. Still I think Cyclone Marcia will mess with that game unfortunately.

NZ vs England is looking interesting. Hope we get a good game.

$13 for Bangladesh win against Australia. You'd be stupid not to take those odds!

Pity I don't have a betting account. Could've retired after Bangladesh smashes Australia :P

Whoa lol your not wrong

Come on black caps beat the Poms Morgen for a duck *prays*

Archived