Cricket 26: Sri Lankans and Bangladeshis and... Irish, oh my

Zoë Sumra

This American has been bored with Major League Baseball for years. Cricket just found a new convert.

Welcome on board. Find a local Indian association near you and they will probably have a social cricket league going on, and they will be able to tutor you in the finer points of the game. If you've ever played much baseball you might be able to get the hang of batting. Not sure anyone can learn to bowl with any great skill without doing it from childhood.

Yeah, bowling is one of those weird, unnatural actions. On the weekend I just played some beach cricket and some peoples' actions were atrocious, it made it look like Paul Adams had the most perfect, pristine bowling action known to man.

The England horror show comes to an end. Baffling decision electing to bowl first especially in a D/N game considering that teams batting first have generally come out on top. Serves me right for selecting 3 English players in my team. Should have known better.

To try to forget this atrocity, I have put the dates for the Ashes Tests in my calendar Always good to have something to look forward to.

To be clear, what I am looking forward to is five days of TMS coverage at a reasonable time - 7am-ish through until lunchtime.

15 entertaining tweets so far from a frustrated Piers Morgan about tonight's game lol.

Baffling decision electing to bowl first especially in a D/N game considering that teams batting first have generally come out on top.

I agree, really poor decision from Morgan at the toss. Adelaide Oval is a ground where teams batting second have always struggled to chase even modest scores. There isn't any dew factor or anything like that at play.

English cricket will get a massive shake up that is for sure. Peter Moores will be gone.

http://tvnz.co.nz/cricket-news/black-caps-hoodoo-yes-bangladesh-have-beaten-nz-seven-times-in-row-6251313

De gulp! NZ has lost to Bangladesh 7 times in a row (in games where there has been a result of course). Fortunately it won't matter for NZ what happens because they will finish top of the table regardless being the only team with 5 wins. Indeed formal seedings going in to the WC had NZ at 9 and BAN at 8, so based purely on seedings BAN would be favoured to win. *shudders*

Interestingly though, if Bangladesh were to wipe the floor with NZ and Aussie only got a close win vs Scotland BAN, AUS would end up on the same points and BAN could wind up with a higher NRR. Or what if AUS / SCO is rained out and BAN and SL win their final matches?

There is a potential scenario where BAN ends up 2nd in pool A, SL 3rd and AUS 4th (depending on NRR). The no result vs BAN could end up biting AUS on the arse. And it could also set up a potential NZ/AUS semi-final in AKL. If I'm reading the semi-final set up correctly

SEMI-FINAL PERMUTATIONS

The semi-final match-ups will be determined by the finishing positions from the pool stage.

Semi-final 1 - Winner QF1 (A1 v B4) v Winner QF3 (A3 v B2)
Semi-final 2 - Winner QF2 (A2 v B3) v Winner QF4 (A4 v B1)

The semi-final dates and venues are:

Tuesday 24 March - Eden Park, Auckland
Thursday 26 March - SCG, Sydney

There are two principles that will be used to allocate QF winners to SF venues;

Hosts

o AUSTRALIA and NEW ZEALAND will play their SF matches in their home country, unless they are drawn to meet each other in a SF, in which case the match will be played in the country of the team that finished higher on the Table at the end of the Pool Stage.

NZ could only meet AUS in the semis if AUS ends up at 3rd in the pool stages. Given NZ is guaranteed to end up higher 1st in the pool stage then a AUS/NZ semi would be a rematch back at Eden Park.

TBH I think the benefit of the doubt on that run out should have gone to England. My online streaming footage was not good but it seemed like there may have been a chance there was still bat in contact with the ground there.

I agree, I can't see how that could be given out based on what I saw.

I really thought they stuffed it when they dropped that catch in the third last over, but boom, they just kept going and got there.

I imagine Tamim Iqbal is the most relieved man in cricket right about now, that drop nearly knocked his country out of the World Cup.

The word "woeful" springs to mind. :headdesk: I swear to God this WC is enough to make me follow golf. Forget dropping the associates: don't let England enter the next one...

Sadly, it's not even a surprise that they lost to Bangladesh.

I think the next WC is in England, so that means there's even more potential for humiliation, from what I remember the last World Cup in England was every bit as pathetic a performance as their effort in this World Cup.

Back at that World Cup there was an often-mentioned statistic that Scotland's Gavin Hamilton scored more runs than any other British batsman in the tournament. It looks like history could be repeated, Scotland's Kyle Coetzer currently has the most runs and the highest score of any British player (and Josh Davey has the most wickets) despite Scotland having played a game less. Of course, at least England have managed to win a match but that's not much consolation.

>Interestingly though, if Bangladesh were to wipe the floor with NZ and Aussie only got a close win vs Scotland BAN, AUS would end up on the same points and BAN could wind up with a higher NRR.

the scenario would have to be pretty ridiculous for this to happen, ie. Aust 120 d. Scot 119, and Ban 400 d. NZ 108

Mr. X and I were just staring at each other.

"Are they playing..."

"The Cure? 'A Forest?'"

"Yes."

"Nice."

Delightful choice of music, and a welcome change from Pharrell. (I keep wishing they'll play Weird Al's "Tacky" in its place)

Cool. Every now and then someone pulls a Cure track out of the bottom draw at sports events. A Forest is not usually one of them though. Close to Me is more common, and Friday I'm in Love.

>Interestingly though, if Bangladesh were to wipe the floor with NZ and Aussie only got a close win vs Scotland BAN, AUS would end up on the same points and BAN could wind up with a higher NRR.

the scenario would have to be pretty ridiculous for this to happen, ie. Aust 120 d. Scot 119, and Ban 400 d. NZ 108

Well there have been 400 run innings this WC... I guess Aussie would need to be more worried about the game being a wash out. If that happens and BAN wins then BAN goes to second. AUS 3rd and SL 3rd equal. NZ v Bangladesh is up before AUS/SCO. Probably a rare moment when AUS will be barracking for a NZ win to secure them. Also the forecast for AUS/SCO is for showers. SL/SCO is up first so by the time AUS goes into their final pool game they will know exactly what they need to do to secure 2nd.

Shit! Ireland batting well vs. India. 300 is on the cards here. Go Ireland, knock over another giant and piss in the eye of the ICC some more!

Archived