Cricket 26: Sri Lankans and Bangladeshis and... Irish, oh my

Zoë Sumra

Pakistan would have had an excellent chance in this match if they could have held onto their catches. They have a strong bowling side and created plenty of chances, but half a dozen or so of them went down. And their batting, Misbah aside, is so miserable that I wouldn't trust them to chase anything more than 250.

And on the other side of things, a good performance from the Windies. That they were able to build a 300+ score with Gayle in clearly bad form bodes well. With Andre Russell and Sammy they now have some lower order power hitting to go around. Definitely lots of potential and a bit of a sleeper team.

A lot will depend on whether they can get bowling consistency, though - there isn't really a super reliable bowler in there.

Really disappointed in the homeboys- I always criticized Pakistan for their 2011 display, but looking at it in hindsight- that team was actually pretty good. The team's downward spiral will seem to continue after the World cup as well, considering Afridi and Misbah are retiring. Love 'em or hate 'em, they are some of the only experienced players on the team.

Pakistan's strength over the years has always been the bowling- though even that isn't in top form this tournament, and their fielding is absolutely atrocious.

Afghanistan have made a decent start. Malinga does not look to be anywhere near his best.

Malinga's action is so freaking weird that it is bound to end up shortening his career at the top. As he gets older and starts to tire earlier then his action will make him far less effective as it's much harder to control line with that action.

Really disappointed in the homeboys- I always criticized Pakistan for their 2011 display, but looking at it in hindsight- that team was actually pretty good. The team's downward spiral will seem to continue after the World cup as well, considering Afridi and Misbah are retiring. Love 'em or hate 'em, they are some of the only experienced players on the team.

Pakistan's strength over the years has always been the bowling- though even that isn't in top form this tournament, and their fielding is absolutely atrocious.

True, but look on the bright side - at least you're not English.

True, but look on the bright side - at least you're not English.

I think I'd rather be English than Pakistani right now. Sure, you guys got hammered by teams that are far superior to you, but remember that you didn't do too badly against India in the tri-series. I think England should be able to account for SL and the associates to qualify for the quarters. Pakistan on the other hand are finished in this world cup with little prospect of recovery in the near future. England at least have some good young batsmen like Root and Taylor.

Brave effort by Afghanistan but SL just kept their cool in the end. Still another associate team plays a good game, you watching ICC?

I think I'd rather be English than Pakistani right now. Sure, you guys got hammered by teams that are far superior to you, but remember that you didn't do too badly against India in the tri-series. I think England should be able to account for SL and the associates to qualify for the quarters. Pakistan on the other hand are finished in this world cup with little prospect of recovery in the near future. England at least have some good young batsmen like Root and Taylor.

I agree. England were humiliated by NZ but it isnt the end of the world for them. They have a team that is capable of playing well, with guys like Taylor and Ali. England beat India well in the tri series, and they should get into the quarters and after that who knows. I still wouldn't write of Pakistan yet though.

Archived