R+L=J v.133

Jon Weirgaryen

Well, I do think that this is way more probable, I just don't want to demonize Brandon or something when we know so little about him. I do think that what he told Barb was just the usual crap, first to get her to bed, then to end the affair, but I am willing to give him a benefit of doubt, the off chance that he might have been sincere.

However, even if he was sincere, it still doesn't preclude a wee bit of patriarchal/ machistic rage of "I had to do as I was told whereas she eloped!"

Well, Brandon was not a bad person. He was just an entitled idiot. And a hypocrite. What would have happened if he had gotten Barbrey pregnant? Her chances for marriage could have gotten ruined, considering how mostly males are in their society. Did he care? Nope. Barbrey was a collateral victim of her father and Brandon's spoiled attitude.

Rhaegar, otoh, at least took responsibility for Lyanna and their baby.

It's strange that when Cat remembers Brandon, she thinks of him rather fondly. You would think she'd know about his womanizing ways by now. I never thought of this before but had she married Brandon she just may have had more bastards to contend with than one. Didn't GRRM even mention somewhere that Brandon may very well have a bastard or two running around? One of the first reactions we get from Ned on Brandon is in a Cat chapter in AGOT. Cat is trying to convince Ned to let Sansa get engaged to Joff and she states that she was only 12 when her father promised her to Brandon. At the mention of Brandon we are told that Ned reacts with a "bitter twist" to his mouth. Now this could have been some form of envy on Ned's part but knowing Ned, envy is probably the last sentiment he'll feel towards his dead brother.

On another topic, in the same Cat chapter, we see that it's Maester Luwin who first brings up the issue of Jon Snow when there was no cause to do so as Ned and Cat were not thinking about Jon, let alone discussing him. And Luwin himself presents the solution by stating that Benjen told him that Jon wanted to join the NW. What Benjen did or did not tell Luwin we do not know but we do know that Benjen was against Jon joining the NW. I don't see why Benjen would say anything different to Luwin. To me, it almost seems like Luwin manipulated the situation in a way to have Jon leave for the NW - he brought up Jon in the discussion, and then quickly solved the problem by suggesting the NW. He may just have been protecting Cat's interest or is there more to it? I have to admit I saw this brought up by another poster on another thread but I thought it was worth considering on this thread.

It's strange that when Cat remembers Brandon, she thinks of him rather fondly. You would think she'd know about his womanizing ways by now. I never thought of this before but had she married Brandon she just may have had more bastards to contend with than one. Didn't GRRM even mention somewhere that Brandon may very well have a bastard or two running around? One of the first reactions we get from Ned on Brandon is in a Cat chapter in AGOT. Cat is trying to convince Ned to let Sansa get engaged to Joff and she states that she was only 12 when her father promised her to Brandon. At the mention of Brandon we are told that Ned reacts with a "bitter twist" to his mouth. Now this could have been some form of envy on Ned's part but knowing Ned, envy is probably the last sentiment he'll feel towards his dead brother.

On another topic, in the same Cat chapter, we see that it's Maester Luwin who first brings up the issue of Jon Snow when there was no cause to do so as Ned and Cat were not thinking about Jon, let alone discussing him. And Luwin himself presents the solution by stating that Benjen told him that Jon wanted to join the NW. What Benjen did or did not tell Luwin we do not know but we do know that Benjen was against Jon joining the NW. I don't see why Benjen would say anything different to Luwin. To me, it almost seems like Luwin manipulated the situation in a way to have Jon leave for the NW - he brought up Jon in the discussion, and then quickly solved the problem by suggesting the NW. He may just have been protecting Cat's interest or is there more to it? I have to admit I saw this brought up by another poster on another thread but I thought it was worth considering on this thread.

Benjen seems to have felt that Jon was too young. Jon disagreed, hotly. So Benjen later going to Luwin to see if Jon is ready isn't so strange, I think.

And why would Cat know about Brandons womenizing ways? It's not like he does it in front of her or her family. As long as he kept his activities mostly north, the people in the Riverlands could have had no idea.

Why can't we all be friends?!

Euron and Ramsay would like to know, too :)

ETA: in other news, I really hate that the "my content" button is disabled.

Mine isn't, it's only it showing an apology instead of the usual result. But notifications still work almost nicely, so you'd just need to follow the threads you want you to be alerted of.

eta:

You are doing this on purpose, right?

I hoped you'd know by know who's trolling you.

reported

Archived