Craigslist Stories

Dr. Pepper

I've sold extra tickets to concerts on Craig's when friends can't make it to the show. It has worked out though it takes a bit of effort to sort through the inquiring emails and arrange the transaction.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this dining set that was old, yet still sturdy and usable and in reasonably good shape for it's age. I put it up on CL as a free item, and included a lot of pics and a good description. A family came and got it. They have now contacted me asking to return it because it doesn't match their personal style. It totally baffles me that it didn't first cross their mind to give it away or even try to sell it.

I've bought plenty of stuff on craigslist (well, the local equivalant) - bicycles, furniture, backpack, can't even remember. Although I found my roomates from hell on that site as well. Better is the free giveaway craigstlist (local equivalent, again) site though. I've gotten loads of stuff there and it's always been sane and friendly, and have given away things like piles of SAT prep books, kitchen stuff, old National Geographic magazines (to an NGO working with kids for whom they'd be perfect for crafting and stuff) and once our commune put out a sack of mangoes from a tree in our yard because we couldn't eat another one and didn't want to throw them out. It's a small but friendly blow against consumption and disposability. The only at-all interesting experience was once when we went to pick up a sofa bed from the most boring sounding people in the most boring suburb in Israel and discovered their entire living room, floor to ceiling, wall to wall - ninth floor apartment in a boring building - taken up with a ginormous cage containing what looked like a rube goldberg machine designed by MC Escher and serving as a habitat to some very happy ferrets.

So what's your advise for newbies like me? I want to sell my wedding gown (among other things) and a bedroom set but I'm too chicken shit to try craiglist. But reading the positive things here, I might have to consider. I would never give out my address and only meet someone in a public place. Any advise would be appreciated!

Have pictures of the item you're selling. It helps a lot.

Give a good description of the condition of the item, as well.

Determine if you'll accept cheques or not (I recommend not) and make the acceptable payment method clear.

In terms of safety, you got the big one covered. Now, if you're selling furniture set then obviously they will have to come to your house. I would recommend still meeting at public first, and then go back to pick up the furniture. Also, have someone at home with you to keep an eye on things.

When I sold my tickets I always go by the order of response first. If the first responder doesn't seem legit or if they don't seem they will follow through, I tell them and move on to the second responder, etc. I also give people reasonable deadlines, like "if you want the tickets please confirm with me by 5pm today." I also tell the next person that I have reached a deal with one person, but if the first person fails to show up, would they like me to contact them as a back up.

So what's your advise for newbies like me? I want to sell my wedding gown (among other things) and a bedroom set but I'm too chicken shit to try craiglist. But reading the positive things here, I might have to consider. I would never give out my address and only meet someone in a public place. Any advise would be appreciated!

Be patient, especially if you aren't in any hurry to sell. If you want a certain price and the used market will support that price, wait for it. Take good pics and write a good description. ETA: Also, it's helpful to include a firm meeting place in your ad. I would also include some time slots that you'd be available. This eliminates a lot of the back and forth of trying to figure out time and place.

For furniture, you might not have any choice but to have them meet at your house. I actually found that this was the more comfortable way to conduct the transaction. It could be that where I live and who I live around made the difference. I just had some weird uncomfortable encounters meeting in a gas station parking lot. In all, I found the method of selling stuff on CL so much better than having a garage sale.

I got my old apartment on Craigslist. It was really nice. Unfortunately it came with roommates. They were hella sketchy. After the first month they told me they wanted the rent in cash (no). It turned out this was because the landlord made them pay it in cash after they bounced too many checks. He was an alcoholic who almost burned down the house and she was codependent although otherwise nice enough. The only redeeming quality about him was that he had good taste in literature, although he was a total snob and hid his girlfriend's books from the living room lest anyone think he read Dan Brown. They tried to illegally evict me (the only financially stable member of the household) and then I later found out that they ended up with a new roommate who was even crazier than they were. They got guinea pigs and kept them in a pen on the hardwood floor. We lived next to a park and they once asked me for a ride in the middle of the night to a different park so they could bury their dead hamster. They half-painted the dining room black with white trim and left the TV on as a light. According to Facebook, they now have birds, which just hatched eggs, so now there are several more. Did I mention they got these birds and other small mammals when I had a cat?

I got my old apartment on Craigslist. It was really nice. Unfortunately it came with roommates. They were hella sketchy. After the first month they told me they wanted the rent in cash (no). It turned out this was because the landlord made them pay it in cash after they bounced too many checks. He was an alcoholic who almost burned down the house and she was codependent although otherwise nice enough. The only redeeming quality about him was that he had good taste in literature, although he was a total snob and hid his girlfriend's books from the living room lest anyone think he read Dan Brown. They tried to illegally evict me (the only financially stable member of the household) and then I later found out that they ended up with a new roommate who was even crazier than they were. They got guinea pigs and kept them in a pen on the hardwood floor. We lived next to a park and they once asked me for a ride in the middle of the night to a different park so they could bury their dead hamster. They half-painted the dining room black with white trim and left the TV on as a light. According to Facebook, they now have birds, which just hatched eggs, so now there are several more. Did I mention they got these birds and other small mammals when I had a cat?

I really hope you misread the fb post and that they actually created a new monotreme by breeding birds with guniea pigs.

Edit speeling

You know, it has never even have occurred to me to do anything but invite people to my house to pick up stuff or to not go to someone's house, in terms of meeting places. That level of safety concerns seems way out there to me. :dunno:

You know, it has never even have occurred to me to do anything but invite people to my house to pick up stuff or to not go to someone's house, in terms of meeting places. That level of safety concerns seems way out there to me. :dunno:

That's why you have internet friends - to warn you of the danger from internet not-friends. :D

Re: Kat

Wait, what? This story is too complicated without a PPT. :p

• 1 month later...

larrytheimp, I think you said you've sold vehicles on CL. Any advice there? I'm car shopping and trying to determine if it's work my time and effort to sell my current car privately or just do a trade-in.

I'd be shocked if you couldn't get at least 20-30% more selling it on your own, maybe up to double the trade-in value depending on the vehicle. I don't know enough about how auto financing works though to say whether or not you'd be able to negotiate other terms on a new vehicle if you aren't trading something in (I've never financed a vehicle).

If the car runs, drives, and is registered, and will be easy for the new owner to get through any emissions or inspections your state requires, you could probably get more for it selling it privately. The catch here is that to get that price you might need to list it for a couple of months. The trade-in is convenient because it's quick money. I'd check out some prices to see what similar vehicles are going for on CL, and also run your car through either Kelly Blue Book or NADA's website (quick and easy to get some ballpark #s on your car).

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions. I know you mentioned you moved recently-- if your car spent most of its life in the South or West and you've since moved to the North East, I would definitely try selling in on CL. Southern cars are a commodity here because they haven't been eaten up by the salt.

Archived