Thinking about not watching Season 5 (possible spoilers)

Ordos

I think what stannisismyking was saying is that when GRRM writes an episode, some people assume all the good stuff in it was written by GRRM, and anything bad must have been written and added by D&D.

Yes, I understand, but they are wrong. Not just their opinion, but their whole attitude toward the show.

But even if there is an episode written by GRRM, and you like the dialogue that GRRM wrote - You have everything from cinematography, direction, acting, casting, craft services, transportation, storyboarding, concept art, pre-vis, VFX, sound design, literally EVERYTHING else that it took. GRRM may have written it, but he sure as hell didn't have control over the editorial.

Also - I GET IT. My favorite side character is Rodrik Harlaw, and I am weeping for the loss of The Kingsmoot. I am currently sipping coffee from my Greyjoy mug. But I'm not going to get on a high horse and say "man, the show would be so much better with more GRRM in it". First of all, then we'd NEVER get another book. But also it disregards all of the creative collaboration that goes into the production of a television series.

Yes, I understand, but they are wrong. Not just their opinion, but their whole attitude toward the show.

But even if there is an episode written by GRRM, and you like the dialogue that GRRM wrote - You have everything from cinematography, direction, acting, casting, craft services, transportation, storyboarding, concept art, pre-vis, VFX, sound design, literally EVERYTHING else that it took. GRRM may have written it, but he sure as hell didn't have control over the editorial.

Also - I GET IT. My favorite side character is Rodrik Harlaw, and I am weeping for the loss of The Kingsmoot. I am currently sipping coffee from my Greyjoy mug. But I'm not going to get on a high horse and say "man, the show would be so much better with more GRRM in it". First of all, then we'd NEVER get another book. But also it disregards all of the creative collaboration that goes into the production of a television series.

I agree with you, and I think stannisismyking does as well. I just must have misread your initial response to him. There is too much GRRM = great and everything else = mediocre at best, on this forum.

Lol at avoiding spoilers by not watching the show.

It is pretty hilarious, actually.

It's even more hilarious that many of the same people who crucified the show for making changes are now crucifying the show because it WON'T make changes. Just goes to show that you can never win with some people, so there's no reason to try to appease them in the first place.

The only way to avoid spoilers this day in age is to go live under a rock for the next 10 years until the book series is (hopefully) finished. Until then I'll enjoy an amazing TV production of the books I love and actually get to see how the main points of the story concludes instead of debating if R+L=J for the next century.

The only way to avoid spoilers this day in age is to go live under a rock for the next 10 years until the book series is (hopefully) finished. Until then I'll enjoy an amazing TV production of the books I love and actually get to see how the main points of the story concludes instead of debating if R+L=J for the next century.

God, this. I'm tired of the same old debates getting thrown around all over the place...I just want things settled once and for all so we can all move on to more interesting topics.

????

GoT is probably my favourite TV of all time. I know it's not perfect but it's my television highlight of the year. I have the utmost respect for the dedication of the people who put the production together. My dream job would get be helping Stephen Dillane in and out of his costume every day...mmmm...buckles and lacing.

Maybe I should have put some quotation marks in my post to show I was talking about the general attitude that seems to prevail when GRRM writes an episode. People cherry pick the things that fit in with what they like and don't like. I've seen it happen every year since S2 (I didn't really participate in online stuff about GoT before that).

I see others have picked up on what I was trying to say but seeing as you were telling me how WRONG I am I just had to clarify.

God, this. I'm tired of the same old debates getting thrown around all over the place...I just want things settled once and for all so we can all move on to more interesting topics.

Like that'll happen. They'll just change to "Well it'll be different in the books!"

Maybe I should have put some quotation marks in my post to show I was talking about the general attitude that seems to prevail when GRRM writes an episode. People cherry pick the things that fit in with what they like and don't like. I've seen it happen every year since S2 (I didn't really participate in online stuff about GoT before that).

I see others have picked up on what I was trying to say but seeing as you were telling me how WRONG I am I just had to clarify.

Sorry, I didn't get what you were doing in your post. I am such a huge fan of the books (including the WoIaF, the Dunk and Egg stuff, the Princess & The Queen, etc) but I also have a deep love for the show. It frustrates me to no end when I hear people with no understanding of production pontificate about how the show would be better with MOAR MARTIN!!!

I got bit by the internet rage bug. Mea culpa.

I really can't conprehend someone not watching the show at this point unless they haven't already started and are big book fans. The trailer that came out this week is the best GOT trailer ever. I can already tell by those 2 minutes I will enjoy season 5 more than I enjoyed the last two books.

I really can't conprehend someone not watching the show at this point unless they haven't already started and are big book fans.

Can't comprehend? Well in a few months I'll be a new phenomenon. Someone who read the books but cannot watch the TV show to the end.

I know I'm in a tiny minority and yes, boycotting the show will do no good. But I'm not doing this to 'win' anything. It's for the simple reason that the specific parts of the story I care about will be omitted. The producers have their reasons and I have mine.

Can't comprehend? Well in a few months I'll be a new phenomenon. Someone who read the books but cannot watch the TV show to the end.

I know I'm in a tiny minority and yes, boycotting the show will do no good. But I'm not doing this to 'win' anything. It's for the simple reason that the specific parts of the story I care about will be omitted. The producers have their reasons and I have mine.

You know you're eventually going to break and watch it. But if you actually do wait I admire your discipline if not your logic. I don't know why it's so hard to appreciate the show as its own entity. Are you trying to say there are no interesting characters left on the show? That it was essential to have the Ironborn, Faegon, etc., for the show to remain interesting?

IMO almost every change D&D have made makes sense from a film producer's perspective. We're obviously at other ends of the spectrum. The omissions have me more excited for the show. They've deleted most of the boring plot points from the last two books and have merged stroylines to provide viewers with more drama. It should be great.

I love the books but I'd never have found them without the show and I'm just grateful the show will give me some sort of closure with this world in a few years [emoji2]

It started for us with the show, it will end with the show.

Edit: I know several people(book fans) who stopped watching after season 2. If you don't go on 9gag, FB fan pages, forums or news sites you will be very unlikely to see any spoilers. One even forgot about the show entirely.

You know you're eventually going to break and watch it. But if you actually do wait I admire your discipline if not your logic. I don't know why it's so hard to appreciate the show as its own entity. Are you trying to say there are no interesting characters left on the show? That it was essential to have the Ironborn, Faegon, etc., for the show to remain interesting?

IMO almost every change D&D have made makes sense from a film producer's perspective. We're obviously at other ends of the spectrum. The omissions have me more excited for the show. They've deleted most of the boring plot points from the last two books and have merged stroylines to provide viewers with more drama. It should be great.

I feel the same way. I don't get excited about what I know is coming- I get excited for what I don't know about. Watching the trailer this time around was exciting, because I can't automatically place what is happening in every scene...and neither can anyone else.

Essentially, this is TV at its best. There's nothing worse than a word-for-word screen adaptation of a book. I've seen quite a few and they always lack that spark that makes them exciting to watch. Sometimes they are downright plodding. Those kind of adaptations always feel like the screenwriter didn't trust himself enough to find the screen story within the book story. GoT does not have that feeling whatsoever.

Everybody used to complain about the AFFC/ADWD storylines, but when the show cuts them out people are upset?

Some people like different story arcs. I am glad they cut Quentyn, the author should have cut him too, same for the Greyjoys, and if Arianne and Aegon end up being dead end plot lines that go nowhere, then they will be more evidence of the author letting his story bloat out of control, and those cuts will have been wise also. However, a lot of people really like the Martells.

But none of that necessarily makes cutting Manderly and inserting Sansa into that story a good idea, or sending Jamie to Dorne a good idea and so on. However, it gets more difficult to judge the show's decisions w/out the books, and the best that can be determined generally is that if the show is cutting them, in most cases, they are not important to the final story.

^Cutting them out and adding in pointless crap like a Messandai/Greyworm romance. I'm glad they are rushing through the Meerenese Knot and Stalemate at the Wall but cutting Griffs and the greyjoy brothers completely is dumbing down the story way to much.

Griffs were a dumb idea and the Greyjoy brothers are a ridiculously dumb idea. Cutting them makes the show significantly more intelligent.

Archived