Thinking about not watching Season 5 (possible spoilers)

Ordos

Exactly, the producers should focus on the main characters there's only two more seasons to finish the story,

Martin can write about one thousand.characters (he already does) because if he wants.he.can extent the number of books that are left (I hope he won't do that). But the producers can't do that so it seems they prefer to tell and finish the story if the characters the tv viewers care about. And I agree with that.

That is a matter of opinion. The producers don't do opinion polls of the viewers of what they should focus on.

Since Martin has approved these omissions I don't have a problem with it at all.I know there has been some hand wringing about how could he "betray" his readers like that and all.It never mattered to me the books will be the books and the show will be the show.It is what it is. :dunno:

That is a matter of opinion. The producers don't do opinion polls of the viewers of what they should focus on.

That would be the worst idea. You'd never get concensus. And the fans would give more abuse.

Also 99% of people have never produced a TV show, run the finances of a large production, or written/adapted a complicated story.

D&D and the producers are doing a fantastic job of boiling down the story and rebuilding it in a logical way. A majority of the series fans have never read the books. They need to keep the story fresh and continue to mix up the types of story being told. Some fans want more sword fighting, others want romance, some want more political wrangling, while others want more fantasy. Its a tightrope.

While some book readers want Lady SH to make an appearance, viewers might want to learn more about character x. Developing Lady SH might take away from the devastation of the purple wedding for non book readers, while writing more stuff for character x will annoy the book people.

You just can't please everyone.

I'm of the opinion that only HBO will actually finish the story....it won't be the same story that GRRM would tell but let's get real, at the current pace it may not get finished. If it does then we all win and I will consider it an alternative, extended edition ending.

I think that they will be echos of each other.

GRRM will make his ending more fantastical, while D&D will keep it in the reality/touch of fantasy that has been the show so far.

I don't believe that they will end in the same place, but there will be similarities once you get the chance to eventually put the two of them together.

I've begun to think of the books and show as completely different entities, and ones that I can enjoy separately. That might help you.

They'll have the same ending though, just without the inclusion of certain elements. Myself, I'm glad. This way we actually know when we'll get the ending instead of not even knowing when we'll get book six.

It don't believe that they will end in the same place, but there will be similarities once you get the chance to eventually put the two of them together.

No, they definitely will.

There was like 1 thing that happened on the Iron Islands, and "Important" is a bit of a stretch. It would take them like 20 seconds to do anyway so they could add it this season or next without any issue.

The interview with NWC confirms that D&D know just as much as George, they have access to the Winds of Winter material but for the last book the show producers will need to fill in the details to despite knowing the ending.

Ever get the feeling that the material is written on the back of a napkin? :D

No, they definitely will.

There was like 1 thing that happened on the Iron Islands, and "Important" is a bit of a stretch. It would take them like 20 seconds to do anyway so they could add it this season or next without any issue.

I think parts will be the same, the over all arc will be covered, but the details, the how and the whats, will be blurred.

I've said in the past that if you are a show only fan or 'unsullied' as we sometimes call them, don't claim to be the Number 1. Fan of all things Game of Thrones as you cannot even be bothered to read and appreciate the books.

Well now let me admit it: I am not the number 1 fan of all things GRRM, ASOIAF or Game of Thrones. It is not the main thing that motivates me to wake up every day. Because I cannot watch and appreciate every single season of the TV show.

I say this because I want to hold myself to my own standard.

I will watch it but I will heavily scrutinise and pick apart all their awful decisions and fanfic additions.

I'm really excited for when we get into Winds/Dance. People will be forced to judge scenes on their own merit as opposed to whether or not they are from the books. I can't wait for someone to call something awful or stupid and then have to desperately try to backtrack when they realize the scene is lifted almost directly from the books.

Your prerogative, of course.

But omissions in and of themselves aren't bad things. The show can't possibly follow these two books literally- they are too bloated and slow-moving, full of unnecessary new characters while putting the necessary ones on the back-burner. It would make for bad television. Just because it's in the book doesn't mean it's necessary for a good story, and I think a lot of people confuse "faithful" with "good". They aren't the same thing at all.

I personally have no problem as seeing them as different retellings of the same story and judging them based on their own merits, and not how well the show follows the books.

I've said in the past that if you are a show only fan or 'unsullied' as we sometimes call them, don't claim to be the Number 1. Fan of all things Game of Thrones as you cannot even be bothered to read and appreciate the books.

Well now let me admit it: I am not the number 1 fan of all things GRRM, ASOIAF or Game of Thrones. It is not the main thing that motivates me to wake up every day. Because I cannot watch and appreciate every single season of the TV show.

I say this because I want to hold myself to my own standard.

Sorry, but that's bullshit. There is no 'hierarchy' of fanship. That's just dumb. People like what they like to the degree that they like it, but there are no 'levels' on who can be a fan of what. This isn't a club.

I think parts will be the same, the over all arc will be covered, but the details, the how and the whats, will be blurred.

Okay, but that's not what you said. You said the endings will be different. They will not. if Dany end up on the IT, then she'll end up on IT in the books. If any characters die, they will die in the books. We'll know the answers to the Maggy the Frog "prophecy", TPTWP, Azor Azhai, Lightbringer/Nissa Nissa, The Stallion, The Dragonriders, if Tyrion/Jaime is a Targ, R+L=J, if Aegon is real (or if not added then that he's not at all important). Essentially everything remotely important from the books.

Archived