Thinking about not watching Season 5 (possible spoilers)

Ordos

It is becoming increasingly more difficult for myself (and others, it seems), to follow the show when I know there's an extended version of the story available.

Some people want to watch short programs full of action, and some want to take in a fully-fleshed out story, which most of the time will take QUITE some time to finish.

A Feast For Crows is my favourite of ASOIAF thus-far, so I know next season will be demanding, but I can also recognize that it's rather unreasonable to expect the showrunners to faithfully adapt it as well as they already have.

Oddly enough, Season 5 is the most excited I've been for Game of Thrones so far, purely because I am curious to see how it's all executed.

I've said in the past that if you are a show only fan or 'unsullied' as we sometimes call them, don't claim to be the Number 1. Fan of all things Game of Thrones as you cannot even be bothered to read and appreciate the books.

This is not a fair statement to make. Game of Thrones is a television show. A viewer who watches it can most definitely say they are the show's number 1 fan. Enjoying the show may push that viewer to seek out the books but there is absolutely no logic in saying a viewer has to have read the books in order to be a fan of the show. That shows a fundamental flaw in understanding that there are different forms of media a story can use and that one doesn't need to know any of the other formats to appreciate, judge or dislike any format in particular.

It will be very interesting when we have a thread debating wether new scenes/plots are from TWOW or made up by D & D.

Really, we're already getting those discussions since characters have been changed/condensed/cut.

It will be very interesting when we have a thread debating wether new scenes/plots are from TWOW or made up by D & D.

It'll be funnier when it turns out that they are in the book too and the scenes are suddenly well received by book readers. Hopefully we're still alive when that happens.

I've begun to think of the books and show as completely different entities, and ones that I can enjoy separately. That might help you.

Likewise if it helps I've begun to see the books as a more expansive version of the TV, they are one in the same but the books are able to delve far into the details. Note. I started with the show before reading the books:-)

I'll watch it. I don't know, seeing all the changes they made, instead of everyone else being annoyed by them, I'm fascinated to see what they will turn out with. Now that the second trailer came out, I'm kinda pumped. Sansa is in Winterfell, Jon's going to Hardhome, Brienne, from what I see will be going to the North (that or it's snowing in the Riverlands because winter is on its way), and I am interested in how they handle Dorne with Jaime and Bronn being there and all. And about the omissions, do you really want to see Quentyn? I mean really? The guy didn't really have much of a point, other than show up and die. As for Arianne, we will have an established and more interesting IMO character in Ellaria replacing her, and fAegon... Well, there's too many storylines already, and there are only 7 seasons, each 10 episodes to do it all in, so fAegon showing up would just be make everything messy and cluttered. I will say that I'm disappointed in the omission of the Greyjoys, but it doesn't bother me that much. Seeing how idiotically Asha/Yara ended up last season, I don't have much hope they will really include them, but it's not impossible for at least Euron to show up, if he does something important later on in the books (Or if he's Daario... ha!).

So no, I won't stop watching. I think we should reserve judgement until we actually see the season, instead of immediately making decisions about not watching it.

So no, I won't stop watching. I think we should reserve judgement until we actually see the season, instead of immediately making decisions about not watching it.

You're right that we should not prejudge the season as 'bad' before we see it. It might be the best season yet in terms of views and reviews. However, what is important to me in the story from the books is omitted. Therefore I'm not judging the acting or the costumes or action sequences but the plot itself because the quality of it in my view has been reduced.

You might say omitting important events and interesting characters raises the quality of the TV show, but that is strictly a matter of opinion. They lost me not when they omitted my favorite character, but when they omitted that very important incident that happened on the Iron Islands in book 3.

You might say omitting important events and interesting characters raises the quality of the TV show, but that is strictly a matter of opinion. They lost me not when they omitted my favorite character, but when they omitted that very important incident that happened on the Iron Islands in book 3.

Iron Islands weren't in book 3. Do you mean book 4?

I don't love all of the omissions either but I understand why they needed to be omitted and I'm not going to whine and moan about not watching the show anymore because it's deviating from the books.

Face it, this is likely the only time Game of Thrones will be adapted for a VERY long time. Either choose to enjoy it now or have nothing ASOIAF-related to entertain you until TWOW comes out. Your choice. I don't get why you think boycotting the show is going to make a difference.

No. In book 3 there was a passing reference to something that happened. In book 4 the Iron Islands deal with the aftermath of said incident.

There's no reason to think that was cut. They can literally deal with the whole thing in one sentence. "Yo dawg, I herd Balon was murdered and his brother showed up out of nowhere and took his place".

Oops.

Really, we're already getting those discussions since characters have been changed/condensed/cut.

And the two collide when GRRM writes an episode:

I like this scene - it's obviously got GRRM's quality all over it.

I don't like this scene - some of the scenes in this episode aren't written by GRRM yanno. Must be one of these.

And the two collide when GRRM writes an episode:

I like this scene - it's obviously got GRRM's quality all over it.

I don't like this scene - some of the scenes in this episode aren't written by GRRM yanno. Must be one of these.

I could not disagree more. Look at that trailer. Are you going to tell me that you aren't more excited by some of the possible plot line combinations? You'd rather they cast Jeyne Poole than explore what could happen with Sansa?

The scenes added by D&D in S1 are my favorite of that season. They've done a terrific job making the series fascinating to watch. Otherwise, we'd be futzing about the Stinking Goose, looking at soldier pines, and wondering which character could possibly be Ashara Dayne.

I could not disagree more. Look at that trailer. Are you going to tell me that you aren't more excited by some of the possible plot line combinations? You'd rather they cast Jeyne Poole than explore what could happen with Sansa?

The scenes added by D&D in S1 are my favorite of that season. They've done a terrific job making the series fascinating to watch. Otherwise, we'd be futzing about the Stinking Goose, looking at soldier pines, and wondering which character could possibly be Ashara Dayne.

I think what stannisismyking was saying is that when GRRM writes an episode, some people assume all the good stuff in it was written by GRRM, and anything bad must have been written and added by D&D.

Archived