Thinking about not watching Season 5 (possible spoilers)

Ordos

So they won't include the iron island stoyline in season 5............. thank goodness lol

Now maybe there is actually a chance that this season won't be as slow and boring as A feast for crows was...

Hopefully this means that the show will focus on the "main characters" and not introduce a bunch of new characters that I could care less about ( like george rr martin did in book 4 and 5)

Valid point.

Dave and Dan can't afford to lose the TV/Streaming audiences.

And why do you consider they are a dumb idea?

Eh, I agree. They aren't necessary to the plot- they only dilute it further without any tangible benefit to the story.

I like how people have already read the future books and how they know what is important and what is not. That turns every discussion into a fair argument, I believe. :rolleyes:

Yes, because it's incredibly difficult to tell an important character from an unimportant character. I mean, how do I KNOW that a character like Danaerys or Jon Snow or Tyrion Lannister is more important than a character introduced in book 5 mostly through a previously mentioned character?

No matter what their storyline may be, the Griffs AREN'T main characters. They are introduced too late in the story to be irreplaceable.

Griffs were a dumb idea and the Greyjoy brothers are a ridiculously dumb idea. Cutting them makes the show significantly more intelligent.

Dumbing down the show makes it more intelligent? Care to explain how that works?

Yes, because it's incredibly difficult to tell an important character from an unimportant character. I mean, how do I KNOW that a character like Danaerys or Jon Snow or Tyrion Lannister is more important than a character introduced in book 5 mostly through a previously mentioned character?

No matter what their storyline may be, the Griffs AREN'T main characters. They are introduced too late in the story to be irreplaceable.

Was Ned Stark important, he died in the first book and is rarely mentioned after, if Victarion dies in Mereen or Aegon gets torched by Drogon they would be in the same boat? in a story like ASOIAF its getting to the journey that counts.

I mean, how do I KNOW that a character like Danaerys or Jon Snow or Tyrion Lannister is more important than a character introduced in book 5 mostly through a previously mentioned character?

No matter what their storyline may be, the Griffs AREN'T main characters.

I don't doubt it. But this is what was said:

They aren't necessary to the plot- they only dilute it further without any tangible benefit to the story.

We do not know they aren't necessary to the plot nor if they were a "ridiculously dumb idea" until WOW is published, especially since said characters are currently moving the plot forward. One of them is bringing a massive army to the continent and becomes an immediate threat to the iron throne while others are slowly conquering the Reach and giving a huge fleet to Daenerys.

Presumably, the show is cutting Lady Stoneheart as well. It does not mean she isn't relevant but the producers might have thought they wouldn't have the time and budget to portray that storyline.

I don't doubt it. But this is what was said:

We do not know they aren't necessary to the plot nor if they were a "ridiculously dumb idea" until WOW is published, especially since said characters are currently moving the plot forward. One of them is bringing a massive army to the continent and becomes an immediate threat to the iron throne while others are slowly conquering the Reach and giving a huge fleet to Daenerys.

Presumably, the show is cutting Lady Stoneheart as well. It does not mean she isn't relevant but the producers might have thought they wouldn't have the time and budget to portray that storyline.

If they were necessary to the plot, they'd be in the show. The showrunners obviously thought they weren't; therefore, they aren't.

The Griffs or Greyjoys or Lady Stoneheart- everyone argues for their inclusion not based on what they've done, but what people think they MIGHT do. That's not reason enough for their inclusion. The showrunners know what they WILL do, and if they believed that that were irreplaceable, they'd be in it.

I like how people have already read the future books and how they know what is important and what is not. That turns every discussion into a fair argument, I believe. :rolleyes:

Well D&D do know what happens in the future books, so if they don't include a character, that tells us that they aren't that important to begin with .

So people care enough to come to a message board about the show to post about how much they don't care about the show and won't be watching it. I wonder how many of you will be complaining about every little detail in a couple months?

Come on, it's okay to like the show even if it's inferior to the books. It's all we have as is anyways until/if Martin finishes Winds and Dream. It's also okay not to like the show and not watch it... but really going out of your way to be angry because other people like something you don't?

Well D&D do know what happens in the future books, so if they don't include a character, that tells us that they aren't that important to begin with .

i think all it tells us is that they want to condense the story to the characters we already know since s1e1, which makes sense for a TV medium, its contractual obligations to the actors, how expensive it is to make the show, how many seasons it can run, and the sheer increased simplicity the medium demands.

as for character importance.. well, the story GRRM is telling in his novels, affc/adwd characters are Act 2 and even if they end up dying in Act 3 (twow/ados), I think you could say they are just as pivotal to the overall story GRRM wants to tell as the Act 1 characters.

i think the fact it took so long for affc/adwd to come out, and the fact they are still the newest 2 books in the series still even now, are why so many are annoyed with the new characters included in them. if we had the whole book series done before the adaptation, it would have been so much better for the show and its pacing and everyone would be singing a different tune.

but sadly we do not live in that world...

i think all it tells us is that they want to condense the story to the characters we already know since s1e1, which makes sense for a TV medium, its contractual obligations to the actors, how expensive it is to make the show, how many seasons it can run, and the sheer increased simplicity the medium demands.

Yep. You ninja'd me :ninja:

So people care enough to come to a message board about the show to post about how much they don't care about the show and won't be watching it. I wonder how many of you will be complaining about every little detail in a couple months?

Come on, it's okay to like the show even if it's inferior to the books. It's all we have as is anyways until/if Martin finishes Winds and Dream. It's also okay not to like the show and not watch it... but really going out of your way to be angry because other people like something you don't?

I'm not angry other people like the show. I'm only adding my opinion to ongoing discussions. This is to say 'Hey look. Perhaps the show has peaked and there is just a slight hint of erosion in popularity' The show is still great but just maybe that trend is reversing.

I also say that I won't be watching Season 5 in hopes that maybe somebody can change my mind. So far no luck yet. I WILL do this though: I will read the online reviews just in case my favorite character does make an unexpected appearance in an episode or that very important incident on the Iron Islands is in fact included in the show. I could be wrong so I will keep updated on what viewers are saying. If there are surprises, I'll watch reruns at a later date.

True, the medium has more demands, but the books could also use the same editorial knife. The story ballooned after the 3rd book- that's not good writing. Martin should have stuck with the characters he had followed through the first 3 books instead of putting them on the back burner for characters we don't know nor care about. It wouldn't matter if the next two books were out or not- that wouldn't change the fact that Martin messed up AFFC/ADWD by over stretching the story.

I'm not angry other people like the show. I'm only adding my opinion to ongoing discussions. This is to say 'Hey look. Perhaps the show has peaked and there is just a slight hint of erosion in popularity' The show is still great but just maybe that trend is reversing.

I also say that I won't be watching Season 5 in hopes that maybe somebody can change my mind. So far no luck yet. I WILL do this though: I will read the online reviews just in case my favorite character does make an unexpected appearance in an episode or that very important incident on the Iron Islands is in fact included in the show. I could be wrong so I will keep updated on what viewers are saying. If there are surprises, I'll watch reruns at a later date.

So essentially, you'll spoil the story not even through the show, but from reviews of the show which will certainly have that information within them.

This isn't a message board about the show. We were here for over a decade before the show was announced.

This isn't a message board about the show. We were here for over a decade before the show was announced.

This is under the Games of Thrones: The HBO TV Series section of the forum, which should be pretty obvious to anyone that that was what the poster was referring to.

Dumbing down the show makes it more intelligent? Care to explain how that works?

Okay, A) You don't seem to have a very strong grasp on what "dumbing down" means. B) The IB are the dumbest part of the books. Removing their impractically stupid society as much as possible can only improve the intelligence of the show. George pretending the IB make any sense is an insult to the intelligence of the readers. Removing them makes the show just so much smarter.

Archived