On the Sand Snakes

Westeros

With all honesty I was bummed that characters from Dorne, the Iron Islands, as well as young Griff, and Lady Stoneheart weren't used at first. But Now that I've watched season 5 and saw what happened in Dorne (nothing), it's best if they don't bring in more. That way D&D can't butcher they personalities or their storylines.

Honestly they can't go on with all stories that are in the books. So we have to be reasonable on this point. I don't mind the changes as long as those changes do have a sense in the story that the tv show is telling and it's a script. As far as the tv show plotline is concerned I always thought they could do without Dorne and Lady Stoneheart. They wanted to use Dorne, fine. The problem is that Dorne was complete rubbish. The characters were awful, the story was boooooring, a real snoozefest. Alexander Siddig (playing Doran) is such a good actor (I've seen him in some other works) and it's a pity they used him so badly.

In short, Dorne was a total waste of time. I think even Meereen was boring tbh, but Dorne was a real pain. I wish Dorne would be destroyed by a cataclysmic event, like Valyria, the next season and we don't hear from them again.

In 2004 Keisha Castle-Hughes was the youngest ever "Best Actress" nominee for an Academy Award. I still refuse to dump on these actresses over any Dorne dissapointment.

Of course you can't. No one can make this material work. Not NCW, not Flynn, not Siddig and not Varma. I can't blame the SS actors for taking a role in such a popular TV show and it sucks that they've been derided so much.

They take the absolute best characters out. I'm pretty hyped for the total absence of Victarion next season :devil:

The show is now a filter to figure out which characters are important, and which ones aren't involved in the End Game, compared to the books.

It's probably a safe bet to assume that LSH, Mance Raydar, and Young Gryff really aren't that super-important and end-game characters in the books which is kind of depressing.

But they are, at the end of the day, only working with 10 hours worth of seasonal content. They have to cut some. This season felt like too many characters - the show felt stretched, with thin writing, and the result was several story lines in the finale not really having the emotional impact or pay-off that you had hoped for.

That issue would be so much worse they introduced many more.

EDIT - apologies, I know that was slightly off-topic.

Again, the characters are not cheesy in the books. Not tongue-in-cheek. At all.

They are dark, mysterious, even. Skull-kissing anti-heroines. Not TMNT.

After the rediculous amount of hype they didn't even debut until episode 4...

I disagree. I think they're quite cheesy and flat and lame in the books, and some of their dialogue in "The Watcher" chapter was downright cringe worthy ("Uncle, you know how I love vipers", "White suits me, I look so...pure"). There's nothing dark or mysterious about them.

Of course, they're way, way worse in the show. I don't know how you can fuck up characters who were bad to begin with. I'd thought there was nowhere to go but up, but D&D proved me wrong.

I really don't get how people think they're cartoonish in the books. I guess I would need to reread the Watcher but I mean we barely see anything of them. They've got flare, but they're so minor at the moment that I don't think we can say if they're cartoonish or not.

With all honesty I was bummed that characters from Dorne, the Iron Islands, as well as young Griff, and Lady Stoneheart weren't used at first. But Now that I've watched season 5 and saw what happened in Dorne (nothing), it's best if they don't bring in more. That way D&D can't butcher they personalities or their storylines.

I agree here.

Since they are low on time and budget anyway, no need to force it with bad acting and writing. What they accomplished in Dorne this season provided little to nothing compared to if they just did it off screen.

I got to says this the actors on Dorne they were great it was poor story-line and wreak plot lines that are blame. Put the blame were it belongs on writers and produces who did not hire enough stunt doubles for the fighting scene of Sand Snakes or gave the actresses enough time to practice.

While the specific article is nonsense, it raises a question, ser.

Ran: I have no idea what the hell is going on with TV-Tyene. Her character is the only Sand Snake in the novels who is definitely "white" in appearance, she takes after her mother who wasn't from Dorne, daughter of a septa, etc. As you are painfully aware, the casting blurbs at SDCC 2014 were so odd that they seem to be in error -- we as yet have no "official" character bios for the TV versions of these characters (in a few weeks we're bound to get a video FORMALLY introducing each, but until then...)

To this end, I left a note on the Tyene article over on the Game of Thrones TV series wiki: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Tyene_Sand#In_the_books

The note outright points out "we'll believe that character description when we hear it confirmed".

It just doesn't make sense....well......look, Tyene CAN plausibly be Ellaria's daughter, she might just take after a non-Dornish grandparent. The Martells have doubtless intermarried with non-Dornish in recent generations (even the Targaryens one century ago)....but it just....strains the plausibility. I'm having trouble verbalizing and I'm asking for help here: does it in any way seem okay for them to just make Tyene Ellaria's daughter? In the novels the whole point is that Tyene ISN'T Ellaria's daughter, thus why she doesn't look like her. She's the proverbial red-headed stepchild! It's as if they cast for book-Tyene, then changed her parentage with no thought to the casting.

I think making Nymeria's mother "from the east" in the sense of "from Yi Ti" and not just "from Volantis" was actually a nifty idea, good way to work Yi Ti in there.

I'm stunned that some of these initial reactions think they "Whitewashed" these characters though: Half-Maori Hughes...looks more or less as Pedro Pascal did, not exactly "white" but on the hispanic spectrum for a pseudo-Spain. ....Nymeria, blatantly played by a Chinese actress, yet they call it "white"? Tyene IS white in the novels, that's the thing.....

....what I'm annoyed about isn't them changing races (they didn't particularly)....but at the inconsistency viz Ellaria.

I agree with your statement about making Nymeria's mother from the east Yi Ti !

I disagree. I think they're quite cheesy and flat and lame in the books, and some of their dialogue in "The Watcher" chapter was downright cringe worthy ("Uncle, you know how I love vipers", "White suits me, I look so...pure"). There's nothing dark or mysterious about them.

Of course, they're way, way worse in the show. I don't know how you can fuck up characters who were bad to begin with. I'd thought there was nowhere to go but up, but D&D proved me wrong.

I completely agree, I don't see why they have a fan club going on. It almost feels like he's putting these characters in just to seed a novella side story (Adventures of the Sand Snakes etc.).

It's their one-liners, they're just terribly cheesy. People give shit to Darkstar for that, but the Sand Snakes are near his level

I agree with this. Corny just corny. I'm not sure the one liners were worse on the show, only it is much more noticeable to actually hear a corny one liner spoken then to read one. The whole way the Dorne story line played out was just off.

As a person of Spanish ( from Spain) decent conversations about what Spaniard's "should " look like from non Spanish people crack me up. First of all Pedro Pascal could walk down the street in any Spanish town \ city and not get a second glance. Alexander Siddig and Indira Varma, Rosabell Sellers and Keisha Castle Hughes, would not be terribly out of place, especially the latter two , and all in the southern provinces.

There are dark haired, eyed Spaniards and they are light haired, light eyed Spaniards....and everything in between. This idea that Spaniards being European, are either all dark Mediterraneans or pasty Englishmen in laughable. Guess what !? there are BOTH types in Spain and among the Hispanic populations of the United States !

George RR said that Dorne is a mixture of Spain and Wales and some Welshmen are regarded by the English as "warm skinned" or olive complected. George meant for Dorne to be exotic only in the sense of Spain being exotic when compared to someplace like Sweden.

Without getting into the whole race thing, let me just say this. I am sick and tired of Hollywood casting non Spanish \ Hispanic \ Latino characters in Spanish roles, for that matter, I have to echo the post about English \ Aussie actors playing Greeks and Romans.

Do you truly believe that there are no Spanish, Greek, Italian actors that could do a wonderful job in these roles ?! The bottom line is entertainment is a money game and the majority of the folks in the U.S. are not ready to see heroic characters portrayed by anyone but Anglo \ White actors.

I posted something about Dorne and this season, hopefully the admins will allow it to be posted.....it's probably similar to to what's already been said here and in other posts....

• 2 weeks later...

Archived