College Basketball - 2015 Tournament

RedEyedGhost

As I watch UNC's lead vanish and Wisconsin gradually pull away, I am reminded of MFC's comment the other day...

My family's attitude towards UNC basketball historically leans pessimistic. Our motto regarding UNC basketball is "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory." It's the perpetual feeling that UNC can fall at any time. Blow any lead. (As they almost did with Harvard.) We never take victory for granted. Not until the clock hits 0:00. Not until the game has been won. This was true even back in 2009.

We all do truly know our own teams don't we? :lol:

UNC looked like they were in control, then Wisconsin scored 9 straight. Roy actually took a TO :lol:

It's like "Yes, Roy, this is actually happening right now."

After all the media hullabaloo about the quote I finally found a video of it. (Can watch the video here, Dax is the third one down).

A reporter asked him if he had seen anything from Kentucky that would make him believe that West Virginia can win. First of all, what kind of question is that?! What is he supposed to say? "No, I think they are invincible and we should just go back home?"

Anyway, his answer was - "Yea, to me, they don't play hard - they don't play as hard as we play. Nobody is invincible so I think their time will come and we're gonna pull it out tomorrow. That's the goal."

Some bravado from the freshman for sure, but not quite the trash talk it was made out to be by the media. He did however very explicitly say Kentucky would be 36-1.

Oh I know it was taken slightly out of context... I was just drumming up some friendly trash talking before the game. :laugh: Because, you know that 3 hours between when your kids go to their mom's for the night and the start of the thing you've been anticipating since last weekend, and you have a few drinks to pass the time, and, well... MUST. STAY. AWAKE. I'll still chuckle when/if that kid gets posterized. :cheers: Also, luckily UNC/UW is very entertaining.

Being a west coast sports fan is usually great, but these days when the tourney gets going at 4:00 pm local time can be annoying. Just getting home now with it 55-52 UNC.

I'm rooting for Wisconsin a tiny bit just because I'd like to see the rematch in the regional final against Arizona; nothing against UNC.

ETA; Oh God, and sorry Rhom, but I'll be rooting for S John and Huggy Bear in the next segment.

Gametime for you is just before 7pm and you're pulling for the Huggy Bears? You, ser, are dead to me.

Gametime for you is just before 7pm and you're pulling for the Huggy Bears? You, ser, are dead to me.

Ready to hate me even more? I have tomorrow off because of Cesar Chavez Day.

Ready to hate me even more? I have tomorrow off because of Cesar Chavez Day.

Is that even a real thing? :stunned:

ETA: And is it not possible for one team to hit a shot here without going to commercial break?!!?

It's a rare day I find myself rooting for UNC... But all the "UW is the team to beat Kentucky" talk all season long has worn me out on them. Go Heels!

(But it looks like UW is starting to take control here.)

Go Heels! When do you ever hear two UK fans saying this at the same time? My motivations are more selfish, however.

Oh I know it was taken slightly out of context... I was just drumming up some friendly trash talking before the game. :laugh: Because, you know that 3 hours between when your kids go to their mom's for the night and the start of the thing you've been anticipating since last weekend, and you have a few drinks to pass the time, and, well... MUST. STAY. AWAKE. I'll still chuckle when/if that kid gets posterized. :cheers: Also, luckily UNC/UW is very entertaining.

No worries! Hard to convey / read tone over type sometimes, but just so you know I don't take all this too seriously. :cheers:

North Carolina fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most of famous of which is "Don't get involved in a land war in Asia." But only slightly less well known is: Don't get in" a free throw shooting contest with Wisconsin with a game on the line."

Lesson learned by WVU so far... If you elect to whine to the official rather than getting back to play defense, Aaron will hit an open three on you.

Jonnycakes - This is not the start that we were looking for.

No it is not. The fouls have been ridiculous. Not that WVU wouldn't be losing right now anyway, but they have really influenced the game and a few of them have been questionable.

Archived