College Basketball - 2015 Tournament

RedEyedGhost

One day after being eliminated in the round of 32... Tony Bennett is named Coach of the Year by the USBWA.

You know you've royally fucked up with Dan Dakich is the voice of reason:

Greg Marshall wins COY last yr from US Basketball Writers when he went undefeated..this yr Calipari undefeated doesn't win it..unreal

:rolleyes:

Now Gary Parrish is reporting that Alabama is prepared to throw big money at Gregg Marshall.

Don't know if he would leave Wichita for that, but it certainly is intriguing. Pearl, Howland, and Marshall would make the SEC West much more interesting.

There's been a lot of rumors going around that Texas is going to go after Marshall too. (even before yesterday)

Some interesting numbers from Ken Pomeroy:

PPG

2014 NCAAT: 68.4

2014 NIT/CBI/CIT: 70.2 (+2.7%)

2015 NCAAT: 67.8

2015 NIT/CBI/CIT: 72.8 (+7.5%)

Looks like the expanded arc and 30 second clock are having the desired effect.

I didn't even realize they were doing that and I watched most of the 2nd half of the Uconn game. I can't imagine that the extended arc would really make that much of a difference.

One day after being eliminated in the round of 32... Tony Bennett is named Coach of the Year by the USBWA.

You know you've royally fucked up with Dan Dakich is the voice of reason:

:rolleyes:

I'm sure the argument will go that Bennett has 0 McDonald's All-Americans and Kentucky has what, 6 more or less on the current roster? http://statsheet.com/mcb/teams/kentucky/recruiting#mcdonalds I'll give Calipari the recruiter of the year award :) I've heard maybe Justin Anderson is a late 2nd round draft pick if he goes out early. Everyone else would be playing in Asia or Europe if they want to play professionally.

Bennett has made something out of nothing. The "something" this season is the ACC regular season title and best start in school history. No match for a national championship if it happens for Kentucky, I admit. I wish there was at least a win against Duke this season! I was hoping it would happen in the final four this year...

But it's hard to argue strongly for him after the disappointment yesterday and Atkins "I'm the only one who wanted it" BS. Team chemistry = coaching so Bennett has to take the blame for some of that along with Atkins.

Stansbury had some really good teams at Miss State not all that long ago. I think they can definitely put something together there.

Did Stansbury, the school from Palo Alto, purchase Mississippi State University?

Murray State is rolling by ten at Tulsa in the first half.

I'm sure the argument will go that Bennett has 0 McDonald's All-Americans and Kentucky has what, 6 more or less on the current roster? http://statsheet.com/mcb/teams/kentucky/recruiting#mcdonalds I'll give Calipari the recruiter of the year award :) I've heard maybe Justin Anderson is a late 2nd round draft pick if he goes out early. Everyone else would be playing in Asia or Europe if they want to play professionally.

Bennett has made something out of nothing. The "something" this season is the ACC regular season title and best start in school history. No match for a national championship if it happens for Kentucky, I admit. I wish there was at least a win against Duke this season! I was hoping it would happen in the final four this year...

But it's hard to argue strongly for him after the disappointment yesterday and Atkins "I'm the only one who wanted it" BS. Team chemistry = coaching so Bennett has to take the blame for some of that along with Atkins.

9. And that doesn't include the leading candidate for defensive player of the year Willie Cauley-Stein. But that's only relevant if you don't consider recruiting to be part of the job of coaching. Also, considering the number of Louisville fans I had to listen to telling me that Kentucky would explode under the weight of their own egos... I'd say that managing this team is admirable.

In the end, the man coached a team that has won all of their games... What more can you ask of a coach?

I kept meaning to ask if anybody had been watching any of the games and if they had any anecdotal evidence of how things had been going. But statistical data is so much better! God I hope they make this change, but I really do want it even shorter.

I didn't even realize they were doing that and I watched most of the 2nd half of the Uconn game. I can't imagine that the extended arc would really make that much of a difference.

The deeper three point shot would increase space down low, and make it more difficult to double team.

Bennett did a helluva job this year (and the past several years), but Calipari definitely deserved it this year. Because

Murray State is rolling by ten at Tulsa in the first half.

9. And that doesn't include the leading candidate for defensive player of the year Willie Cauley-Stein. But that's only relevant if you don't consider recruiting to be part of the job of coaching. Also, considering the number of Louisville fans I had to listen to telling me that Kentucky would explode under the weight of their own egos... I'd say that managing this team is admirable.

In the end, the man coached a team that has won all of their games... What more can you ask of a coach?

yes, recruiting is 100% a part of college coaching. They should call it the better-than-expected award if they're not going to give it to a guy who wins every freaking game. Bill Self is a damn fine recruiter, but he's not able to get the same passion and chemistry with those young kids that Calipari can. Getting that team to play together is extraordinarily impressive.

I didn't realize that Frank Haith turned up at Tulsa.

ETA: I was iffy in shortening the shot clock, but I've come around now. I still think that if you want to address the quality of the game however, it starts and ends with officiating.

ETA: I was iffy in shortening the shot clock, but I've come around now. I still think that if you want to address the quality of the game however, it starts and ends with officiating.

Of course it does, but that would actually cost the NCAA money.

The deeper three point shot would increase space down low, and make it more difficult to double team.

They just extended the restricted-area arc in the paint back a foot, not the 3 point line. I guess it's about safety and less collisions under the hoop, after I looked into it.

They just extended the restricted-area arc in the paint back a foot, not the 3 point line. I guess it's about safety and less collisions under the hoop, after I looked into it.

Oh yeah, that arc. That will hopefully eliminate a bunch of bs charge calls.

Not only that, but his top assistant is none other than former WKU and Georgia coach Dennis Felton and this is Felton's first coaching gig since being fired from UGA.

I've had the strangest dream two nights in a row.

I am in my bedroom and it is dark. I wander into the living room only to find that my place is completely empty. Confused, I go outside and find nothing but an open black expanse in place of my apartment building. After a few moments, I notice a small orange glow way off in the distance. To the east. I walk towards it and objects begin to take shape as I get closer. Behold, I have found the contents of my empty apartment! My couch is alight, bathed in an intense flame. Brighter than the sun itself! I must shield my eyes against the awesome and terrible inferno - yet a feeling of euphoria overwhelms me. What happy occasion could have possibly inspired such a senseless, yet oddly beautiful display? The dawning of a new age? The birth of a savior for mankind? A larger than expected tax refund?

Unfortunately, I don't get to find out because that is when my alarm goes off and I wake up. So strange and so very real. I wonder what it all means.

I am in my bedroom and it is dark. I wander into the living room only to find that my place is completely empty. Confused, I go outside and find nothing but an open black expanse in place of my apartment building. After a few moments, I notice a small orange glow way off in the distance. To the east. I walk towards it and objects begin to take shape as I get closer. Behold, I have found the contents of my empty apartment! My couch is alight, bathed in an intense flame. Brighter than the sun itself! I must shield my eyes against the awesome and terrible inferno - yet a feeling of euphoria overwhelms me. What happy occasion could have possibly inspired such a senseless, yet oddly beautiful display? The dawning of a new age? The birth of a savior for mankind? A larger than expected tax refund?

Unfortunately, I don't get to find out because that is when my alarm goes off and I wake up. So strange and so very real. I wonder what it all means.

That you should invest in a furniture store? :dunno:

Perhaps it means you finally converted to UK fandom and the dream is set in the wee hours of the morning on April 7...

:thumbsup:

I will say, I'm liking the quotes coming from WVU players. Some of them are fun:

“It’s another team. They put their drawers on the same way we do,” Williams said.

:lol:

Now this unattributed one was a bit much though:

"They play in the (expletive) SEC," said one West Virginia player.

Since this is the only place I interact with PAC XII folks... I ask you west coast denizens: Firing Herb Sendek. Good move? Bad move? Meh?

I know he didn't do much at ASU, but is it reasonable to expect to do much more than he did? I kind of think of it like the Miss St firing we talked about last page. Made no sense until you saw that they already had someone in place. Is there an upgrade out there?

Archived