Heresy 159

Black Crow

Yeah, I missed that. I thought Jon was making a reference to you know, being inside a wolf ala Varymyr 6 skins- *wink, wink* because he got all embarrassed.

Oh, there's no reason for him to be embarrassed about a little wolf-fucking. Lots of actors do it.

Now, if he's in season five and still doesn't know the verb skinchange? That is pretty damn humiliating.

That explains why he started pinching my stash back '99....but why is he still doing it?

To supply his many stoner characters, whose constant craving for dank puts Jeff Spicoli to shame. For instance:

The man wore a heavy cloak with a fur collar, fastened with a silver mockingbird, and he had the effortless manner of a high lord, but she did not know him.

"Dareon, I am told that you sang at many a high lord's table and shared their meat and mead.

"Nobler knights than you have died whimpering in those oubliettes, and many a high lord too.

And from the wiki:

Garth Greenhand, also called Garth Greenhair and Garth the Green, was a mythical High King of the First Men

This probably also explains why Aerys was so paranoid.

Well, what made me think of the Vale getting a personal visit is the fact that everyone says how it's impregnable. We know what happens to the people who are arrogant or feel a false sense of power/security. And this has been going on awhile.

This just popped in my head: what if this is how Tyrion gives the tribes the Vale? We know how Dany's justice works, and I'm sure the Lords of the Vale will piss off Dany with their stubborness, make her more emotional. Also a way for Tyrion to find Sansa (if he becomes a dragon trainer, of course).

Though I wonder if to go through the Vale, Dany is going to have to go through Sansa. Don't know for sure, though. Not certain about Sansa's recoverability. . . maybe.

I can't imagine they'll skip Cersei & Lady Merryweather to keep the guys happy. 5WD (Westerosi Dragons) says they keep that character.

Also, I didn't realize Kit H. was so cute until that interview. I guess the NW uniform doesn't do much for me, but notice how he and Jon B. wore black? :)

That will be easy. But they also seem to like disturbing :worried:

The darkness holds no terrors for him. It's his own VIP entrance ;)

Better break the news to Mel that she's guarding the wrong gate!

I dunno what Black Crow thinks, but it seems like if the wards have to go first, a breach would make sense. The weakest spots would be the first to go. Course, if there's melting ice, wouldn't that soften the ground considerably enough to develop some pretty big weak spots, too?

I've thought for a long time, and long before these synopses/blurbs came out, that the Wall has to fall, simply because it is such a huge and evil bit of magic made of blood as well as ice.

Which of course provides me with an excuse to quote Jennet Clouston again:

Blood built it, blood stopped the building of it. Blood will bring it down - black will be its fall!

I've thought for a long time, and long before these synopses/blurbs came out, that the Wall has to fall, simply because it is such a huge and evil bit of magic made of blood as well as ice.

Which of course provides me with an excuse to quote Jennet Clouston again:

Blood built it, blood stopped the building of it. Blood will bring it down - black will be its fall!

Though. . . evil seems a bit relative, at least in this series. Blood and ice. . . are they any more evil than fire and blood?

In terms of falling. . . I think it takes more of the "crumbling" or "decay" definition, just like so many of the other structures and illustrious histories in this little make-believe world. And the NW itself is already a good way down that road. . . so I see the Wall falling due to the cracks and breaches. :)

I'm not certain that the first blurb that Black Crow posts along with the 1993 letter arose from an intern at a publishing house glancing over materials prepared by Martin. That one might have been written by Martin.

Whatever the mechanics of it, I agree. The first line is of course repeated in much later the AFFC blurb, but unlike the latter the meat of the "ADwD" blurb is on the one hand about a book GRRM never wrote and jet on the other hand follows pretty seamlessly on in both style and content from the 1993 synopsis; for the first two volumes, hence my contention that its a reworking of the synopsis for the third one.

Instead, what is important about the blurb is that it reveals to us that something important is going on or happened at Starfall, whether it was Lyanna dying in a tower, the spiriting away of Aegon VI, something about Ashara Dayne, secrets from The Age of Heroes, etc. We now have some idea that a significant plot point is heading to or from Starfall.

That is the reason why the blurbs are interesting.

Again I agree and what's important about this one is the immediacy. The synopses I publish at the start represent how GRRM originally envisaged the story. This one on the other hand represents the book as its actually being written. It was deceptive insofar as much of the information it contained didn't appear in AFFC but had to wait until ADwD, but its all there, so we can be confident the only unfulfilled bit - about Starfall - is going to appear too.

Whether it relates to Aegon, as I suspect, or to Jon or to both - I suspect it may knock some of the theories about the tower in the pass off their perch.

Though. . . evil seems a bit relative, at least in this series. Blood and ice. . . are they any more evil than fire and blood?

“I hate this Wall,” she said in a low angry voice. Can you feel how cold it is?”

“It’s made of ice,” Jon pointed out.

“You know nothing, Jon Snow. This wall is made o’blood”

Sounds pretty evil to me :devil:

“I hate this Wall,” she said in a low angry voice. Can you feel how cold it is?”

“It’s made of ice,” Jon pointed out.

“You know nothing, Jon Snow. This wall is made o’blood”

Sounds pretty evil to me :devil:

Oh, you could be right!

Though am thinking that some types-- particularly blood sacrifice (and depending on the circumstances) may not be evil, per se. Just. . . different.

Mel tossing people in the fire seems pretty bad to me, too.

A wall built of blood, meaning through conquest, etc., yes. That would also certainly fall into the discussion of the nature of evil :cheers:

In terms of falling. . . I think it takes more of the "crumbling" or "decay" definition, just like so many of the other structures and illustrious histories in this little make-believe world. And the NW itself is already a good way down that road. . . so I see the Wall falling due to the cracks and breaches. :)

Well, it is salty, as is blood. Perhaps only the magic "breaks." It also glints pale blue, just like the blood of the Others.

Then we have the Dany line about "chink in a wall of ice." A chink is a vulnerability, like a crack or a chip/chunk in a vase that compromises its stability/integrity, like a dragon's missing scale, or a hole in armor. All we would need is one "chink" where the magic is broken, and the Wall could be considered "broken" i.e. the prison doesn't actually break during a prison break.

Anyway, a chink is not now nor has ever been a chamber or cell.

Yeah, I missed that. I thought Jon was making a reference to you know, being inside a wolf ala Varymyr 6 skins- *wink, wink* because he got all embarrassed.

I thought he was embarrassed because it sounded like he was talking about banging a wolf.

Edit: Oh wait that's what you said.

:cheers:

I can't imagine they'll skip Cersei & Lady Merryweather to keep the guys happy. 5WD (Westerosi Dragons) says they keep that character.

Also, I didn't realize Kit H. was so cute until that interview. I guess the NW uniform doesn't do much for me, but notice how he and Jon B. wore black? :)

It was weird to see Samwell answer to the name Jon.

Oh, there's no reason for him to be embarrassed about a little wolf-fucking. Lots of actors do it.

Now, if he's in season five and still doesn't know the verb skinchange? That is pretty damn humiliating.

To supply his many stoner characters, whose constant craving for dank puts Jeff Spicoli to shame. For instance:

And from the wiki:

This probably also explains why Aerys was so paranoid.

He was smoking too much of that Kingswood ditch weed. Or pure Highgarden Sativa and meth Crannog Chrissy.

Well, it is salty, as is blood. Perhaps only the magic "breaks." It also glints pale blue, just like the blood of the Others.

Then we have the Dany line about "chink in a wall of ice." A chink is a vulnerability, like a crack or a chip/chunk in a vase that compromises its stability/integrity, like a dragon's missing scale, or a hole in armor. All we would need is one "chink" where the magic is broken, and the Wall could be considered "broken" i.e. the prison doesn't actually break during a prison break.

Anyway, a chink is not now nor has ever been a chamber or cell.

Well all it took was Sam stabbing Ser Puddles with a piece of dragonglass "to break the magic holding him together" and we all know what happened next.

I tend to agree- didn't Martin say Dany would go to Westeros? I think she needs to with her dagons in order to let the Vale know who's boss. Wasn't that the way the dragon lords captured Vale the 1st time? The queen or princess rode a dragon up there?

Also, not sure if Valyria still exists. I picture it as molten lava. Is there any SSM anectodes that validate or allude to the possibility of readers seeing Valyria?

I'm not sure if GRRM said we will see Valyria and Dany will come to Westeros. Bad memory and I don't take notes.

I imagine Dany will have to deal with the Aegon and what he has done by the time she makes it to Westeros (if she really does). It's possible the Vale will side with Aegon and she takes a dragon (if she can control one) up there. But it's winter and the garrison has moved.

Mayhaps the Mad Queen sends thousands to their deaths against the Bloody Gate?

Well all it took was Sam stabbing Ser Puddles with a piece of dragonglass "to break the magic holding him together" and we all know what happened next.

Posted on my Others thread the other day that it would be funny if all it took to bring the Wall down was a quick jab with dragonglass...

Or perhaps Dawn's name has an-Other meaning :devil:

I expect that the Wall has already fallen/broken. It wasn't stated explicitly, but I think that's what was happening there in Jon's last chapter (ADWD).

Agreed. You could say it fell every time they killed their own LC, Mormont's mutiny included. The Wall is as strong as the men who man it, and they are cravens and crooks.

Archived