Heresy 160

Black Crow

Had two years passed between Benjen going missing and Mormont going on the Ranging.I don't think so,so he was just remarking he hadn't seen Benjen but had seen other Rangers who visited in between .So they must have told him that Ned took Gared's head and he said he also heard that Waymar was dead.He complained Waymar was to good to sleep under his roof.

No, but if memory serves, when Jeor Mormont asks about Benjen's whereabouts, Craster claims that he hasn't seen him at the Keep for some years (I can't remember the precise number).

I see Ser Pounce will not be back for season 5. It's that type of recklessness that keeps me from the show. :D

I know...In light of this betrayal let us have a moment of silence for Ser Pounce.......I din't even notice he was there but now as he's gone i wish i'd pay more attention to that Pussy.

No, but if memory serves, when Jeor Mormont asks about Benjen's whereabouts, Craster claims that he hasn't seen him at the Keep for some years (I can't remember the precise number).

I think Flagons is right,i think about three years.To me it goes to show communication between the Rangers and Craster.

In Bran's first chapter and of what happened in that event it says "There were questions asked and answers given......but afterward Bran could not recal much of what had been said."

Later we get:The poor man was half mad. Something had put a fear in him so deep that my words could not reach him

So who knows what he may have said in his excitement and fear and how much Ned took,ignored or could make out.But its left a mystery.

Yep. If Bran overheard a statement about a gate under the Wall or Coldhands at the beheading, it seems he would not have been surprised to find these things later on, unless he didn't hear or understand what was being said. Of course, GRRM may not have had these things in mind back when he began writing.

I can picture it though, Gared riding a Stag with a preggers direwolf in tow. When they get south of the wall, the Stag becomes meat and a dagger. Or not.

A nine day journey north of the wall on horseback becomes a much longer journey south to Winterfell on foot.

You get the special EW issue? I just downloaded it for reading.

No,but it seems one of the Thenns are about to " get close up and personal with a WW" at Hardome and strangely enough Jon Snow is at Hardome fighting as well.So it seems and i'm guessing the show is going to pull off another shocker not seen in the books.

I know...In light of this betrayal let us have a moment of silence for Ser Pounce.......I din't even notice he was there but now as he's gone i wish i'd pay more attention to that Pussy.

I think Flagons is right,i think about three years.To me it goes to show communication between the Rangers and Craster.

Yes, but unless Craster is getting his news of local happenings from his boys, Benjen is the only recent traveler who could have told him about Gared's execution. Therefore, Craster lied to Jeor Mormont.

Yep. If Bran overheard a statement about a gate under the Wall or Coldhands at the beheading, it seems he would not have been surprised to find these things later on, unless he didn't hear or understand what was being said. Of course, GRRM may not have had these things in mind back when he began writing.

I can picture it though, Gared riding a Stag with a preggers direwolf in tow. When they get south of the wall, the Stag becomes meat and a dagger. Or not.

A nine day journey north of the wall on horseback becomes a much longer journey south to Winterfell on foot.

Yeah i can see this.Gared need not have been magically bamboozled either any help to get me South of the Wall i would have been most welcomed.Sam initially thought CH's was a Brother,he was dressed as one and addressed him as one.On closer inspection he noticed black hand etc and CHs extracted a promise from Sam not to mention seeing him or Bran.So who is to say what happened with Gared,but when this conversation started i began to think it was him(CH's) who sent "Mamma Di" across and not BR.

Lol! Right! Everyone forgets 'Murica includes two other countries as well :)

I believe the US of A is the only 'Murica.' Everywhere else is America. And Westeros is kinda like the Americas, North and South. Canada above the Wall with Murica and Mexico as the North. The Neck is Central America that had water punched through it, i.e. Panama Canal. (Hammer of the Waters?) And below that is South America. :)

Following up on the Vanity Fair article, I clicked on the link about the sartorial splendor of the Night's King. In good lighting, it is interesting to note how Jon Snow 1.0's uniform would allow him to blend in with his former brethren.

This stuck out to me as well. The NK's getup in the linked image looks pretty close to what Jon is wearing in the picture at the top of the article.

Yes, but unless Craster is getting his news of local happenings from his boys, Benjen is the only recent traveler who could have told him about Gared's execution. Therefore, Craster lied to Jeor Mormont.

I don't know if Ned sent Gared's head back to the Wall before Benjen got there or if Benjen was the one who took the tidngs back to Mormont though.Or how long after the Wall got the info from WF did Benjen go out and if anyone went out prior to him.If there were Rangers that went out before Benjen and they visited Craster's they could have told him.Even if i beieved Craster's sons were WWs i don't see them discussing this over Sunday lunch.There are two many problems with that not to state the obvious.

I think its simple as he got it from Rangers that went out before Benjen left WF or the Wall depending on when Mormont got the info.

Interesting. Why lie though? For his gods? Or is it he knows of Waymar's group and should not have that information? Other reasons? I'll have to chew on that for a bit.

I don't know if Ned sent Gared's head back to the Wall before Benjen got there or if Benjen was the one who took the tidngs back to Mormont though.Or how long after the Wall got the info from WF did Benjen go out and if anyone went out prior to him.If there were Rangers that went out before Benjen and they visited Craster's they could have told him.Even if i beieved Craster's sons were WWs i don't see them discussing this over Sunday lunch.There are two many problems with that not to state the obvious.

I think its simple as he got it from Rangers that went out before Benjen left WF or the Wall depending on when Mormont got the info.

Who are these mysterious rangers? We know that Gared showed up at the beginning of A Game of Thrones, and Deaddard lopped his head off. Shortly thereafter, Benjen comes for a visit to see the illustrious King of Westeros. Then, Benjen returns to the Wall with Jon Snow in tow. Before you can say "Jack Robinson", Benjen leaves to follow the party of Waymer Royce and discover what happened to the missing rangers.

It doesn't seem likely that Mormont sent out any other parties. He was saving the mission for the head ranger.

I believe the US of A is the only 'Murica.' Everywhere else is America. And Westeros is kinda like the Americas, North and South. Canada above the Wall with Murica and Mexico as the North. The Neck is Central America that had water punched through it, i.e. Panama Canal. (Hammer of the Waters?) And below that is South America. :)

I'm in Mexico right now...the people look like Dornishman, as well as the weather/spicy food are Dornish :) and this is known because of course I've visited Dorne personally.

Actually, Central America for the Neck sounds plausible.

Who are these mysterious rangers? We know that Gared showed up at the beginning of A Game of Thrones, and Deaddard lopped his head off. Shortly thereafter, Benjen comes for a visit to see the illustrious King of Westeros. Then, Benjen returns to the Wall with Jon Snow in tow. Before you can say "Jack Robinson", Benjen leaves to follow the party of Waymer Royce and discover what happened to the missing rangers.

It doesn't seem likely that Mormont sent out any other parties. He was saving the mission for the head ranger.

Could Benjen have perhaps kneeled before the walkers and been taken to Others HQ?

I was under the impression that the Watch was patrolling and Craster recieved frequent visits from those that were patrolling. I say this because

1.Benjen wrote Ned in AGOT's and among mentioning that the Watch was below 1,000 stated that desertions were increasing so brothers were out and about and some weren't coming back.

2. When Othor and Jafar were found Mormont chaste some of the brothers on an enemy coming close " do we not patrol these woods anymore?."

3. When the great Ranging did happen and Jon and Mormont were talking about Craster he told Jon he could of had ( i forgot their names) go and collect the boys when Craster gave them to the woods and that all the Rangers knew what Craster was doing including Benjen. Telling me

a. For him to tell Jon he could have sent Brothers to pick up the boys,said there was frequent visit to Craster's whereby he knew when wives were preggers.And that they were(NW) was patrolling and going to Crasters for a bit of R&R.

b. Statement that all the Rangers knew again to me says that there was visit enough to gossip among the Rangers

4. Time is a variable we may have missed it,or it was too ambiguous but time had passed before Benjen left the Wall with his posse.

I'm in Mexico right now...the people look like Dornishman, as well as the weather/spicy food are Dornish :) and this is known because of course I've visited Dorne personally.

Actually, Central America for the Neck sounds plausible.

I was thinking more of Argentina as Dorne with the mountains and deserts almost bordering the ocean. Although, Argentina has a wider variety of climates and the desert is chilly. :cheers:

Archived