Heresy 160

Black Crow

I don't think any attempt will be made against the BR by the Others especially if they are consorts.It should be noted that though Bran has been in the cave for like what 3mths now BR has made no mention of "an enemy" in the form of the Others etc.Remember he said to Bran "You've come to me at last Brandon Stark,though the hour is late"

True, and Leaf also tells Bran that BR has clung to life beyond his mortal span for the sake of both the Singers and the realms of men--so if the hour is late, but the doom of man isn't necessarily the Others themselves, what is it that Bran is going to do? In my opinion, this is directly related to the messed up seasons, and the original Long Night, which was an event of global consequence.

I'm assuming that the nature of the fucked up seasons will eventually be plot relevant based on this quote from GRRM:

The most conspicuous aspect of the world of Westeros in A Song of Ice and Fire is the nature of the seasons, the long and random nature of the seasons. I have gotten a number of fan letters over the years from readers who are trying to figure out the reason for why the seasons are the way they are. They develop lengthy theories: perhaps it’s a multiple-star system, and what the axial tilt is, but I have to say, “Nice try, guys, but you’re thinking in the wrong direction.” This is a fantasy series. I am going to explain it all eventually, but it’s going to be a fantasy explanation. It’s not going to be a science-fiction explanation.

Although the seasons cannot be explained with natural science, they can be explained, and will be explained.

I just realized how indecisive my posts are. I can't decide stag fight vs dagger. I just argue for both. I guess I'll start writing pros/cons list.

Yeah I'm on the fence. But leaning away from dagger. Either is possible, but per Martin, it was "a foot of shattered antler..."

You mean it's unlikely a stag fight or dagger fight? I don't knowif it will be brought up later, I'm sure GRRM will leave a few holes, but I had always envisioned it as a stag who was shedding his horns off anyway. I live in Reston, VA, a stone's throw from Dulles Airport. We're not in the deep woods, but still have deer that pass through, and other wild animals. (There were deer that came around in Arlington, too which is pretty urban)

My point is, we'd see this deer who ate our daffodils, and we called him One Horn because one antler broke off one year. His antlers are still small, so not sure he's fighting yet, but I imagine they get loose when it's time to shed. I started feeding him corn, and if he's around, he'll come out if he hears us whistling now :) I want to saddle him up and ride him now like the elk!

As for daggers, in a fight with a direwolf, I could see it breaking as it was weilded. Probably had a lot of pressure placed on it and it snapped. Its bone, not metal.

Ninjad by Voice on snappage...bc I was thinking of cute deer neighbors!

Yeah, but I know deer too. Yes they shed their antlers and although its not unknown they generally don't actually break them even when locked with other antlers. The trouble with this one is that not only is it broken off in soft flesh but the tines branching out from it have also been broken off.

Last time I was coming back from a Niners game I was in two accidents within a 2 hour time span...

As to Gared, like the crazy drivers out there, they can pretend to be sane long enough to get back on the road and carry on being mad.

That's why i hate being on the road when there are games in the Bay.Ever try driving by the SAP when there's a Shark's game getting out,usually doing Cinco De Mayo celebrations? Its madness.

Nah i don't see Gared pulling a 4 for a 6 just to get off the Wall and run too all place "Winterfell". I'd hit up a hooker and then wait for the fat lady to start singing.

I'm not saying Mormont knew of Gared's return, but we don't know for certain either way. I just read that part...digging up...

The Lord Commander took no notice of the irritating bird. “Gared was near as old as I am and longer on the Wall,” he went on, “yet it would seem he forswore himself and fled. I should never have believed it, not of him, but Lord Eddard sent me his head from Winterfell. Of Royce, there is no word. One deserter and two men lost, and now Ben Stark too has gone missing.”

I do. I've worked with antler. Strong stuff, but not unbreakable. And throw in a struggle with a freakishly large direwolf, there's plenty of opportunity for snap-age :)

I took that as he recieved word afterwards via WF with the head that Gared had deserted.

True, and Leaf also tells Bran that BR has clung to life beyond his mortal span for the sake of both the Singers and the realms of men--so if the hour is late, but the doom of man isn't necessarily the Others themselves, what is it that Bran is going to do? In my opinion, this is directly related to the messed up seasons, and the original Long Night, which was an event of global consequence.

I'm assuming that the nature of the fucked up seasons will eventually be plot relevant based on this quote from GRRM:

Although the seasons cannot be explained with natural science, they can be explained, and will be explained.

I am of two minds of this one.I have no doubt that the issue of the seasons will be resolved in the end,but i don't think that is the reason BR coerced BR into that cave.As you may or may not know i don't believe BR is the 3ec,but i am struck by one of the image of the Crow showing other "Dreamers impaled on ice spikes" and i get the sense that BR wants to prolong his demise.

Last time I was coming back from a Niners game I was in two accidents within a 2 hour time span...

As to Gared, like the crazy drivers out there, they can pretend to be sane long enough to get back on the road and carry on being mad.

As a 49ers fan it feels like they've been in an accident every 2hrs since their last game.

I'm not saying Mormont knew of Gared's return, but we don't know for certain either way. I just read that part...digging up...

The Lord Commander took no notice of the irritating bird. “Gared was near as old as I am and longer on the Wall,” he went on, “yet it would seem he forswore himself and fled. I should never have believed it, not of him, but Lord Eddard sent me his head from Winterfell. Of Royce, there is no word. One deserter and two men lost, and now Ben Stark too has gone missing.”

That's the bit I was thinking of, thanks. The way Mormont is speaking of both Gared and Royce its pretty clear that no-one returned to Castle Black. However Gared got past the Wall it wasn't by way of the gate at Castle Black and that again underlines Mormont's puzzlement because surely that's exactly where he should have fled to. And that in turn comes back to the suggestion that he was induced to bring the she-wolf to Winterfell.

I agree that Gared didn't pass through Castle Black. Either he ;

Scaled the wall (unlikely that he had the equipment)

Found a cave system ( which would be a very lucky find)

Used the Black Gate (possible find while looking for a way under or directions from Coldhands)

Or he went around the wall (east or west would bring him near the other two occupied NW forts)

As to the antler in the wolf throat, I have come around to team dagger. Before, I always sided with team broken-horn. With all the tines snapped of, it seems more likely that someone purposely removed the tines. It may even be that the momma wolf killed the stag then someone removed the antler and repurposed it.

As to the antler in the wolf throat, I have come around to team dagger. Before, I always sided with team broken-horn. With all the tines snapped of, it seems more likely that someone purposely removed the tines. It may even be that the momma wolf killed the stag then someone removed the antler and repurposed it.

At which point its also worth a reminder that unlike what we see in the show there is no dead stag in the book

At which point it's worth noting it's been over 3 hours since the last post. Ya'll slackin'.

Are we ignoring the importance of the pre-historic civilization with the black stone? I mean the five forts and Oldtown and Asshai must be linked to the same heresy of the North, it all adds up somehow. You don't add a giant link that crosses continents and timelines just for a bit of lore.

Were the Dire pups found further south of where Gared was found? if so i would guess the Mom wolf wasnt killed by him for logistic reasons. But of course he may have been wandering in circles and not just heading straight south. And to play devils advocate he may have skipped castle black because A) he ended up somewhere else and said screw it im climbing and not waiting for Olaf the snowman to get me. or B) he was embarrassed / scared of being called a deserter for not staying with his brothers... But i do like the idea of the antler being a dagger used by Gared just fits right it seems but i could easily see this not getting resolved at all

Were the Dire pups found further south of where Gared was found? if so i would guess the Mom wolf wasnt killed by him for logistic reasons. But of course he may have been wandering in circles and not just heading straight south. And to play devils advocate he may have skipped castle black because A) he ended up somewhere else and said screw it im climbing and not waiting for Olaf the snowman to get me. or B) he was embarrassed / scared of being called a deserter for not staying with his brothers... But i do like the idea of the antler being a dagger used by Gared just fits right it seems but i could easily see this not getting resolved at all

They were in the close vicinity to the execution spot--and not noticed on the way to the stump. Coincidence, I am sure.

I think that the more interesting question is not that Gared went south without stopping to collect $200 at Castle Black, but how Craster knew that the Night's Watch was one head short without seeing Benjen Stark for over two years. Somebody's lying . . .

I think that the more interesting question is not that Gared went south without stopping to collect $200 at Castle Black, but how Craster knew that the Night's Watch was one head short without seeing Benjen Stark for over two years. Somebody's lying . . .

Had two years passed between Benjen going missing and Mormont going on the Ranging.I don't think so,so he was just remarking he hadn't seen Benjen but had seen other Rangers who visited in between .So they must have told him that Ned took Gared's head and he said he also heard that Waymar was dead.He complained Waymar was to good to sleep under his roof.

Archived