Will Dany be pissed at Barristan the Bold?

Mythrel

Well aside from the fact that this involves killing 1,000s, if not 10,000s of people it is the end of her ability to compromise and attempt to build a peace, important attributes for any potential monarch. Also "fire and blood" is just violent rhetoric, doesn't actually help anyone much.

She tried peace. They didn't want it. Look what kind of mess sparing Yunkai has caused. Fire and Blood is what SB deserves. Also sometimes destruction is necessary before something better can be built.

The point of having a commander or a general under you is so that they can make decisions, that can go as planned or sideways in an instant; without you if need be. At least Selmy made a choice and now has a direction and end game. That is far better than having an incident where lives are going to be lost, but it is amplified by lack of leadership or direction. That is what happened. A lack of inaction at this moment, whould have made things, far worse. I think Dany is more than capable of understanding this and will not be "pissed."

Pretty much this.

Barristan not done doing things without Dany being there yet! The only thing that can said is the longer she is away and longer he has to make more and more decisions the more likely he'll make one or more she doesn't approve of.

The only sure way Barristan can avoid the possiblity of Dany being cross when she eventually gets back is if he dies while she's away!

Dany will be fine with Barristan's actions following her sabbatical. I kind of think her exit from the Dragonpit on Drogon kind of hinted at her abandonment of the sketchy peace that had been forged through her marriage to Hizdar.

Of course we are talking about Dany, so she probably will be upset with Barristan and immediately consult withthe Green Grace on what she should do with him :)

The position that Barristan finds himself in with Dany gone reminds me a little of Ned in KL. Like Eddard, he doesn't like to play the game. I hope he doesn't die. At least not too soon.

Although, unlike Ned, he actually seized the king in the kingbreaker chapter. That was so badass.

I think Dany will be pleased with him if she comes back.

One of the best chapters in the whole book. I really like Barristan after his POV hes a really intresting charcter to me.

I agree, and I actually think Barry did the right thing. Volantis was coming to Meereen with their full strength, and the peace with Yunkaii was obviously fragile.

It was non-existent peace. Volantis was always coming, because Yunkai bought them...something they conveniently don't mention to Dany. And I doubt Volantis woul sail all that way to admire the new olive trees.

As to the OP, Dany also recognises that Hizdhar may have tried to poison her when she is out in the Dothraki Sea, so no, I doubt she would be upset with Barristan. Besides which, he will have defended her city for her (if he survives, which he might or might not)

I don't think Dany would be mad at Barristan. And really she shouldn't be. She left him with no guidance on what to do. Barristan did what good soldiers do when their commander isn't around to give guidance, which is act according to what they would think their commander would want in a situation. Even if Barristan got played by the Shavepate, he acted in good faith.

I think she will be mad at him and that her bloodriders will be even madder, but not for defeating the Yunkai, who are the ones that broke the peace not him, rather for riding her silver. Some khals share their wives, but none share their horses.

Yes, I can see it now: Barristan wins several stunning victories in SB, defeating the slavers for good. And then he installs a stable government that is capable of ruling the place, without slavery, and even has all Dany's people ready for departure to Westeros when Dany arrives and all Dany can say is "But, you, you rode Silver."

She tried peace. They didn't want it. Look what kind of mess sparing Yunkai has caused. Fire and Blood is what SB deserves. Also sometimes destruction is necessary before something better can be built.

Not sure why this is so hard for people to understand.

I think every thing is going to break down too quick for Dany to think about Ser Barristan's actions until she is on her way back to Westeros. Think about it: Victarion and the Iron Fleet are going to smash the Volantines; Tyrion is going to flip Brown Ben and the Second Sons back to Dany's side and incite fighting within the Yunkish/Astapori host; Tyrion is going to introduce himself to Ser Barristan and Dany, and Ser Jorah will make his way back to Dany as well; Ser Barristan's forces are going to meet the Yunkish/Astapori host in the field and more than likely smash their mixed forces of cut-throat sellswords and warriors on stilts; and on top of all that, I think Dany is going to arrive on Drogon with a Dothraki horde at her back.

Also, I think that Dany is going to realize/decide who is responsible for the Sons of the Harpy insurgency campaign and will be too busy thinking about confronting the Green Grace, Reznak, Skahaz, etc. And who knows what Daario will make of the entire situation--a brand new and deadly suitor in Victarion making himself known--he may take Victarion's inevitable forward-ness the wrong way and start laying about with his arakh. Then you have Moqorro and Marwyn, who will both fill her in on what's happening in Westeros. And if she finds out about Aegon...well, suffice it to say she's going to have a lot on her plate and will need Ser Barristan on her side for the time being.

Bringing fire and blood to a bunch of slaver scum making people happy shouldn't be that hard to understand. YMMV

Other than the fact I was speaking about bringing fire and blood to Westeros, I don't think it's a secret that there's tonnes of collateral damage every time Dany goes on one of her righteous binges. But, I expected nothing less than this exact argument.

Of course they don't want it, or rather they do - and they largely had it - but they don't want her. They don't want war, either, but they don't really have a choice since Dany has seen fit to single-handedly fuck up the entire region.

If I go to another mans house and start taking his stuff, and he objects, I can't pull the "well he didn't let me take it peacefully, so the conflict is his fault really...". Dany is the aggressor here.

Not sure why this is so hard for people to understand.

Because we don't all wear rose-tinted glasses where Dany is concerned.

Other than the fact I was speaking about bringing fire and blood to Westeros, I don't think it's a secret that there's tonnes of collateral damage every time Dany goes on one of her righteous binges. But, I expected nothing less than this exact argument.

Of course they don't want it, or rather they do - and they largely had it - but they don't want her. They don't want war, either, but they don't really have a choice since Dany has seen fit to single-handedly fuck up the entire region.

If I go to another mans house and start taking his stuff, and he objects, I can't pull the "well he didn't let me take it peacefully, so the conflict is his fault really...". Dany is the aggressor here.

Because we don't all wear rose-tinted glasses where Dany is concerned.

Only it wasnt just 'stuff' she was "taking", was it?

Anyway, the peace was always false. Yunkai had Volantis coming all along, even when they agreed to the peace

No, human beings were not the slavers' "stuff" to own, and the slavers were the clear aggressors by abducting thousands from foreign, sovereign lands.

No, human beings were not the slavers' "stuff" to own, and the slavers were the clear aggressors by abducting thousands from foreign, sovereign lands.

Agree on the immorality of owning human beings, but from what we can see the Slaver's of Slaver Bay do not in fact abduct thousands of people from sovereign lands. They buy them from other groups who did just that. At face value, I'd say Slaver's bay biggest suppliers are the Dothraki which makes the situation ironic considering a self-style khaleesi now wants to put an end to the practice. It'll get even more fucked up if she gathers an army of Dothraki and return to Slaver's Bay intent on the same agenda. :lol:

It'd be like a british man invading 18th century USA to stop slavery with the support of an army formed by the same African warlords who captured and sold the slaves toiling in cotton fields in the first place.

Archived