Crazy US Municipal Violation Fines

Fragile Bird

By going to school, you make certain concessions -- it's not unlawful detainment when you get detention, it's not restricting your freedom of speech if you're punished for screaming curses in class, and it's not theft if a distracting item that has no business being in the classroom is confiscated to be returned later.

Its not returned later, it's maybe returned to parents, who may not own the property. They do not give your property back to you, let's stop this lie before it gets repeated so many times it becomes true.

It is theft, period. If the person distracts your class then kick them out or whatever, don't STEAL shit.

The law requires not only that you be deprived of your property, but that this must be done dishonestly and with intent to permanently deprive you of it. Not to temporarily deprive you of it in line with school rules to prevent you selfishly disrupting everyone else's learning experience.

Its not returned later, it's maybe returned to parents, who may not own the property. They do not give your property back to you, let's stop this lie before it gets repeated so many times it becomes true.

It is theft, period. If the person distracts your class then kick them out or whatever, don't STEAL shit.

Fine. Take it to court.

Why don't you look up school regulations in your state, since we don't know where you live, instead of asking other people to do the work for you.

Done, can't find any law or regulation that states confiscation isn't considered stealing. Now if you continue to claim this law exists, you need to "do my work for me"

Done, can't find any law or regulation that states confiscation isn't considered stealing. Now if you continue to claim this law exists, you need to "do my work for me"

You are obviously a lazy student if you can't find it. Turn in your cell phone.

Come get it! unless of course you are a lazy disciplinarian.

I'm not your teacher. I'm not a mod.

And btw, can you stop hijacking this thread with your googling fail, please? Open your own thread about your complaints about the authority of teachers. Your complaint isn't a municipal violation for which you received an unreasonable fine.

The law requires not only that you be deprived of your property, but that this must be done dishonestly and with intent to permanently deprive you of it. Not to temporarily deprive you of it in line with school rules to prevent you selfishly disrupting everyone else's learning experience.

... if the laser comes out again, it's becoming part of my lab supplies anyway. :P

That good enough?

Regarding the argument that the item is a distraction and does not belong in the class - I completely agree. As long as the item is returned when the student leaves the classroom (note: student may choose to do so at any point, even during the class), I have no problem with teachers taking away items that are deemed a distraction. In my example the item was not returned when I left the class. Therefore teacher cannot claim the item was taken to prevent distraction in class, because if this was the case, then there is no need for the item to remain in their possession after the student is no longer in class.

I'm not your teacher. I'm not a mod.

And btw, can you stop hijacking this thread with your googling fail, please? Open your own thread about your complaints about the authority of teachers. Your complaint isn't a municipal violation for which you received an unreasonable fine.

Hey open up your own thread if you want to tell people what to do in a hostile and grandstanding manner! you aren't a mod, remember.

Dude, how's the breeze up on that cross of indignant student oppression and entitlement?

Wait is this about the school stuff?

Fragile Bird, who claims to not be a moderator, has moderated me to not talk about it on this thread.

I'll just say, Sony Walkman was hot shit in 96. Hot enough for mom to steal it from me if she had to go to my school to pick it up.

Archived