Teachers are evil: they stole my stuff.

So if you visit my house, I inform you that visitors are not allowed to have cell phones in my home.

I take your phone, tell you that you can have it back in 3 weeks, or when Brad Pitt comes to get it for you. Not stealing?

Have you posted clear notices outside your house by the entrance? clearly stating your rules on mobile phones? and the penalties if I do have one?

If so yes you could take me phone. or bar me entrace. No you could not keep it until Brad Pitt turned up becuase Brad Pitt is not my Leagal Gaurdian.

since I'm an adult you would have to give it to me as I left. you could ask me to pay a fine, but good luck enforcing that since I don't think houseowners can leagally issue and enforce fines.

Eyenon,

So if you visit my house, I inform you that visitors are not allowed to have cell phones in my home.

I take your phone, tell you that you can have it back in 3 weeks, or when Brad Pitt comes to get it for you. Not stealing?

You are not an arm of the State with some version of contempt powers. Courts and Schools are.

Maybe eyenon is right- maybe the world would be better served if teachers, in lieu of teaching, came up with a complex system of property management to better facilitate pupils bringing shit to school that doesn't belong there. Because really, that's what they're there for: to better organize their students toys in an inoffensive manner. If they can get any teaching done in the meantime, more power to them.

Eyenon,

You are not an arm of the State with some version of contempt powers. Courts and Schools are.

Ah, so it isn't stealing if you are powerful enough to not face consequences, interest.

So, is it also not stealing if you don't get caught?

And please stop this lie about "they always give it back" no they dont.

Giving your property back to someone who isn't the owner is NOT returning it.

Did this just happen to you last week? Are you still in primary school? Because, based on your posts in this thread, it really seems like you are.

Maybe eyenon is right- maybe the world would be better served if teachers, in lieu of teaching, came up with a complex system of property management to better facilitate pupils bringing shit to school that doesn't belong there. Because really, that's what they're there for: to better organize their students toys in an inoffensive manner. If they can get any teaching done in the meantime, more power to them.

What doesn't belong in school?

Anything that an authority figure decides to try to take? Or do you have a specific list of what doesn't belong in schools?

You know, this whole "parents are responsible for their children until they are 18" is for the birds. I suppose that we have those pesky child labor laws on the books, but what do we think is a realistic age of emancipation when I could cut my little succubi loose? They could earn their own money for cell phones and Gameboys and school fees and whatever else.

Eyenon,

A judge has the power to fine ot jail you for mouthing off... you do understand what contempt of court is, right? Or are you saying Courts should not have the power to keep order in courtrooms, including barring cell phones and penalities when clearly posted rules are disobeyed?

Anything that an authority figure decides to try to take? Or do you have a specific list of what doesn't belong in schools?

I don't know about you, but I know that my middle school and high school had a list of shit that wasn't allowed in class, and other stuff that wasn't allowed in the school, and it said right in the student guide that the stuff would be confiscated if you had it. So yes, there was a specific list. And I'm sure there's still one out there today-- I know that my younger siblings (dad remarried) have a laundry list of items they can't bring to school.

I'd venture to say that every public school in this country has such a list.

Your school should have a specific list. You and/or your parents are at fault if you did not read this.

School is for learning. It's not a place for you to flash your ipod around, not a place to flash guns around, not a place to flash around any unauthorized items. Part of this is safety, part of this is creating an as equal and nurturing environment possible so that all students are able to learn. Try to remember that you aren't the only person in that school.

Eyenon,

A judge has the power to fine ot jail you for mouthing off... you do understand what contempt of court is, right? Or are you saying Courts should not have the power to keep order in courtrooms, including barring cell phones and penalities when clearly posted rules are disobeyed?

I'm saying it's still stealing even if the theif is powerful enough to not face consequences.

I don't know about you, but I know that my middle school and high school had a list of shit that wasn't allowed in class, and other stuff that wasn't allowed in the school, and it said right in the student guide that the stuff would be confiscated if you had it. So yes, there was a specific list. And I'm sure there's still one out there today-- I know that my younger siblings (dad remarried) have a laundry list of items they can't bring to school.

I'd venture to say that every public school in this country has such a list.

Yep. Copied from my daughter's middle school handbook:

CELL PHONES & ALL MEDIA DEVICES

1.Cell phones and media devices can only be used at specified times during the school day at RHS.

• Cell phones and media devices may be used in the lobby area and cafeteria until the 1st period tardy bell.

• Cell phones and media devices may be used in the lobby area and cafeteria during a student’s lunch period only—this policy will be revisited during the school year and can be amended at any time.

• Cell phones and other media devices as well as head phones should not be used or worn during any other time during the school day. (The use of a cell phone for video purposes during any of these times is prohibited. Failure to comply with this request may result in serious disciplinary action including out of school suspension.)

2.Electronic devices, such as cell phones, iPads, personal computers, may be utilized during class time only if the teacher of the class has given permission for these types of devices to used to support the overall learning goals for that class period. Any use of devices during this time period that does not qualify as an educational activity, is strictly prohibited.

3.Any student using cell phones or media devices at RHS during the school day that is not permitted by the two exceptions above shall:

• Forfeit the device by giving it to any staff member that requests the item (failure to comply with this request may result in serious disciplinary action including out of school suspension).

• Provide the staff member with the student’s name.

• Receive the appropriate disciplinary action as described below.

4.Students shall be responsible for turning off cell phones and media devices while at school each day. 5.Students utilizing cell phones for cheating on any type of school assignment shall be in violation of this policy and the honor code and shall receive disciplinary action for both infractions.

Cell Phone & Music Player CONSEQUENCES:

• 1st offense - confiscation of device & disciplinary referral. Device will be returned to the student at the end of the day and the student will be assigned one Friday School.

• 2nd offense - confiscation of device & disciplinary referral. Device will be returned to the student at the end ofthe day and the student will be assigned one day of ISS.

•3rd offense andbeyond- confiscationofdevice & disciplinary referral. Device will be returned to parent/guardian with conference and the student will be assigned two days of ISS.

Yes, because Brad Pitt is a well known legal guardian of Pebbles, comparable with a parent :rolleyes:

Yep. Copied from my daughter's middle school handbook:

CELL PHONES & ALL MEDIA DEVICES

1.Cell phones and media devices can only be used at specified times during the school day at RHS.

• Cell phones and media devices may be used in the lobby area and cafeteria until the 1st period tardy bell.

• Cell phones and media devices may be used in the lobby area and cafeteria during a student’s lunch period only—this policy will be revisited during the school year and can be amended at any time.

• Cell phones and other media devices as well as head phones should not be used or worn during any other time during the school day. (The use of a cell phone for video purposes during any of these times is prohibited. Failure to comply with this request may result in serious disciplinary action including out of school suspension.)

2.Electronic devices, such as cell phones, iPads, personal computers, may be utilized during class time only if the teacher of the class has given permission for these types of devices to used to support the overall learning goals for that class period. Any use of devices during this time period that does not qualify as an educational activity, is strictly prohibited.

3.Any student using cell phones or media devices at RHS during the school day that is not permitted by the two exceptions above shall:

• Forfeit the device by giving it to any staff member that requests the item (failure to comply with this request may result in serious disciplinary action including out of school suspension).

• Provide the staff member with the student’s name.

• Receive the appropriate disciplinary action as described below.

4.Students shall be responsible for turning off cell phones and media devices while at school each day. 5.Students utilizing cell phones for cheating on any type of school assignment shall be in violation of this policy and the honor code and shall receive disciplinary action for both infractions.

Cell Phone & Music Player CONSEQUENCES:

• 1st offense - confiscation of device & disciplinary referral. Device will be returned to the student at the end of the day and the student will be assigned one Friday School.

• 2nd offense - confiscation of device & disciplinary referral. Device will be returned to the student at the end ofthe day and the student will be assigned one day of ISS.

•3rd offense andbeyond- confiscationofdevice & disciplinary referral. Device will be returned to parent/guardian with conference and the student will be assigned two days of ISS.

That's suitable to me, give you tour shit back when you leave school grounds

Eyenon,

Anything that can reasonably be disruptive or damaging to the educational environment. That would include "walkmen". You can hide in the back of class and listen or turn the volumn up and disrupt class. It seems to me to be a reasonable probibition.

It is not "stealing" to impose a fine and penalities for contempous behavior in Court. No more than being assessed a fine for speeding is stealing.

You know, this whole "parents are responsible for their children until they are 18" is for the birds. I suppose that we have those pesky child labor laws on the books, but what do we think is a realistic age of emancipation when I could cut my little succubi loose? They could earn their own money for cell phones and Gameboys and school fees and whatever else.

IIRC there are some US states which say parents can claim their childs wages, but only before its gone into their bank account.

So don't give them any pocket money or toys, and make them work and earn money for you.

Yes, because Brad Pitt is a well known legal guardian of Pebbles, comparable with a parent :rolleyes:

I said Brad Pitt because for many kids, "legal guardian" is meaningless and no different than a random name.

A good bit of my circle of friends in high school provided the primary income for our families by the time we were 15-16.

Some were already parents themselves.

The idea that school was some kind of parent is laughable. And school stealing our stuff was definately unacceptable.

eyenon,

HelenaExMachina, on 08 Apr 2015 - 2:33 PM, said:

I said Brad Pitt because for many kids, "legal guardian" is meaningless and no different than a random name.

A good bit of my circle of friends in high school provided the primary income for our families by the time we were 15-16.

Some were already parents themselves.

The idea that school was some kind of parent is laughable. And school stealing our stuff was unacceptable.

So, what do you think shouldn't be brought into schools? How would you propose schools enforce rules to keep such items out if they can't confiscate prohibited items?

eyenon,

So, what do you think shouldn't be brought into schools? How would you propose schools enforce rules to keep such items out if they can't confiscate prohibited items?

Same way its done when a kid is disruptive to class without the aid of an electronic device.

Archived