Orange is the New Black

Jack Bauer 24

9 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:eveal hidden contents

Also was cool seeing Nikki back! I hope she sticks around.

. . .Is it just me, btw, or is this season kind of ramping up the gross factor? Piper getting shit all over her hands, the dinosaur tampon, the shoe in the vagina, etc.

Dude, it was a clean shoe. You heard her, it was their special sex shoe. Plus it was a loafer. Total class. C'mon. nothing gross about that.;)

2 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Dude, it was a clean shoe. You heard her, it was their special sex shoe. Plus it was a loafer. Total class. C'mon. nothing gross about that.;)

They was in catholic school

I have the same complaints about that unbreakable kimmy show.

OiTNB is definately politically biased but I expected that from the get go so it's not a shock.

I'm actually surprised they didn't go the super safe route and make all the men be maniacal rapists and all the gay people be morally superior to everyone else. They even made Sophia do some douchey and morally ambigous stuff.

31 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Well that's part of the point of the show. Piper Chapman is part of the obscenely over-educated liberal elite that's never actually been surrounded by poor people and minorities until she found herself in prison. If anything her character is kind of a poke at a certain aspect of the social-political left.

The irony here is that the writing is coming from the same circumstances.

People who have never been surrounded by poor people or minorities telling a story about someone who has never been surrounded by poor people or minorities. 

It's really precious how they have two white people groups. The classy one and the lower class one, for all the toothless racist ones.

1 hour ago, Let's Get Kraken said:
11 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

It seems like you're the one with the bias here. There are plenty of black and Hispanic characters, like Cindy and Flaca, that are just as backwards and ignorant as the two white hillbilly girls.

Back in season two the black girls were divided the same way as the white girls were in this season. The Hispanic girls were divided this season as well. It's something that happens with conflict. It's not the writers on some kind of a social justice jihad.

One of the strongest aspects of the show is that they are able to so strongly portray a diverse range of backgrounds and character types, and still have all of them feel like real

I said two white people groups, Cindy and flacca are in the Hispanic group.

also, black divide you are talking about was a split if one group.

From day one there's always been a clear divide between the main white characters and lower class white group.

Also, what exactly am I biased about? Are you claiming that I'm pushing some sort of political agenda or do I simply have an irrational bias for wanting this show that I've watched 4 seasons of to be worse?

8 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Yes that's my point, that Cindy and Flaca are just as bad as the two hillbilly girls you seem to have such a problem with.

And again, unless you're counting Dogget's two former henchwomen as a "group", then I'm afraid you are quite full of shit.

Well if you are going to make your own seperate point that's fine, it just looks like you are implying that your point is in some way connected to mine when you put it right under my quoted post.

And please stop with the aggressive attitude. You don't have to blurt out things like "you are full of shit" just because someone doesn't worship a show you like and doesn't pretend it's flawless.

I love the show but I think it has many flaws, I will still think the same no matter how many putdowns you come up with

Binged this over the weekend. Really enjoyed this season. I found it better than 3. 

The ending was intense! I really liked the tense dynamic between the new guards, the inmates and Caputo. 

Spoiler

I loved the flashbacks with Poussey; gave me chills because it came off as possibly one of the best, most idyllic days of her life, when she had a kick-ass future ahead of her, ripe with possibility. Everything felt rather magical and serendipitous and somehow made me feel a little less awful about her death. Devastating. 

Judy King was a delight! That threesome... fuck, I didn't know whether to laugh or shake my head. 

The end was intense too; looks like all kinds of shit is going to hit next year. 

Caputo siding with Bayley at the end; I felt that was a bit off, especially coming on the heels of his call to Poussey's dad. 

Piper was marginally less annoying this season; progress? 

Anyway, I'd love to discuss this with whoever's finished the season! 

2 hours ago, Commodore said:

show would be more enjoyable without the writers constantly using their characters to advance their pet lefty causes

it's very transparent/contrived/unrealistic when they do that

I am frankly, gobsmacked at this coming from you /sarcasm

1 hour ago, DunderMifflin said:

The irony here is that the writing is coming from the same circumstances.

People who have never been surrounded by poor people or minorities telling a story about someone who has never been surrounded by poor people or minorities. 

It's really precious how they have two white people groups. The classy one and the lower class one, for all the toothless racist ones.

Would you not expect some kind of class divide in a prison though? And it's not like the "classy" group are shown as good people, or free from racist tendencies (especially Lorna). I do t know if I really understand what point you are trying to make, but I don't see it as a problem that these different groups form within e prison.

23 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I am frankly, gobsmacked at this coming from you /sarcasm

Would you not expect some kind of class divide in a prison though? And it's not like the "classy" group are shown as good people, or free from racist tendencies (especially Lorna). I do t know if I really understand what point you are trying to make, but I don't see it as a problem that these different groups form within e prison

Im not claiming to be a prison expert due to my limited experience but I've never heard of class divided groups. Even then it would stand to reason that not only white people would divide themselves by class.

And there is a clear difference between the main characters being somewhat reasonable even with their flaws and the maniacal meth stereotypes

But really, comparing most anything at all on this show to a real prison is pretty ridiculous.

You can't just go find a corner to have sex in anytime you want in prison.

I think this might have been the best OITB season so far.  The writing was tight, the dialogue on point, the plots were relevant.  I didn't feel as though they were mocking some of the more serious issues that were explored like they did in past seasons.  I felt more engaged because storylines were given the breathing room and respect they deserved.  Every scene worked to set up what happened at the end.  Nothing felt gratuitous.  

And that ending, yo. The feels.

Also, there was less Piper, which is always good.  The characters around her have always been way more interesting.  

14 hours ago, DunderMifflin said:

Do you actually have any evidence to support this claim?  Obviously this is hyper reality and everything is dramatized, but saying there is no easy access to quickies in prison is as dumb as suggesting there is no easy access to petty crime in prison.  

There is actually probably waaaaaaay more coercive sex happening in prison than this show suggests.  

14 hours ago, DunderMifflin said:

But really, comparing most anything at all on this show to a real prison is pretty ridiculous.

Isn't it supposed to be a special section of the prison though, like on Oz? I think watching people in normal prison cells would get boring real fast.  Actually I did some googling and found this:

http://etikallc.com/orange-is-the-new-black-vs-real-prison/

FPC McKean is attached to a “medium” Federal Correctional Institution(FCI), which means the main facility here is a very serious place surrounded by layers of fencing and razor ribbon. In the Camp, we do not have controlled movements, which is similar to life as it is portrayed in “Orange is the New Black.” Inmates therefore have a fair amount of discretion when and where they can move about the facility, including going outside much of the time. 

5 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I think this might have been the best OITB season so far.  The writing was tight, the dialogue on point, the plots were relevant.  I didn't feel as though they were mocking some of the more serious issues that were explored like they did in past seasons.  I felt more engaged because storylines were given the breathing room and respect they deserved.  Every scene worked to set up what happened at the end.  Nothing felt gratuitous.  

And that ending, yo. The feels.

Also, there was less Piper, which is always good.  The characters around her have always been way more interesting.  

Do you actually have any evidence to support this claim?  Obviously this is hyper reality and everything is dramatized, but saying there is no easy access to quickies in prison is as dumb as suggesting there is no easy access to petty crime in prison.  

There is actually probably waaaaaaay more coercive sex happening in prison than this show suggests.  

There is no easy access to petty crime in prison. It's extremely difficult, deals have to be made. A lot goes into just getting a cigarette.

And there are cameras everywhere, there's no sprawling out behind a piano and kissing and cuddling.

Having any sort of "quickie" will involve you being on camera and pretending nothing is going on.

Again, not claiming to be the prison expert but I've spent time in both men's and a woman's prison.

And every other prisoner I've ever talked to would also agree that most things on this show are ridiculous.

You can't just stroll through hallways at your leisure, there are lines you have to stay in. The cafeteria isn't like a high school where you just come in and plop down anywhere.

20 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

There is no easy access to petty crime in prison. It's extremely difficult, deals have to be made. A lot goes into just getting a cigarette.

And there are cameras everywhere, there's no sprawling out behind a piano and kissing and cuddling.

Having any sort of "quickie" will involve you being on camera and pretending nothing is going on.

Again, not claiming to be the prison expert but I've spent time in both men's and a woman's prison.

And every other prisoner I've ever talked to would also agree that most things on this show are ridiculous.

You can't just stroll through hallways at your leisure, there are lines you have to stay in. The cafeteria isn't like a high school where you just come in and plop down anywhere.

Again, where is your evidence?  Evidence that crime is rare in prison, evidence that sex is rare, evidence that medium security prisons aren't similar to what is portrayed on screen?  If what you're saying has any basis in reality, there should be some easy links you can offer up to prove your point.  I mean, most people who have visited prisons for any number of reasons or who have spoken with prisoners or who have read memoirs written by prisoners seem to agree that every prison is different though there are many commonalities so I'm really curious to see more about these absolutes you keep discussing.  

1) I already claimed to not be a prison expert and I clearly explained where I'm getting my knowledge from.

2) never claimed anything was rare in prison, I claimed access was not easy.

3) I'd love to know if there really is a US prison anything remotely like the one on this show, I'm pretty certain there is not. But ya know since you seem so determined to prove me wrong maybe you can do some research on it

20 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

3) I'd love to know if there really is a US prison anything remotely like the one on this show, I'm pretty certain there is not. But ya know since you seem so determined to prove me wrong maybe you can do some research on it

Well the show is based on a non-fiction book written by someone who spent time in a woman's prison, isn't it? Plus there's the link I provided with comparisons from a guy who spent time in one of these federal prison "camps."

3 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

You're the one making the claim here, burden of proof is on you.

That's why I said it nicely.

I didn't demand anything.

I have clearly explained where I get my claims from, if that isn't good enough for you then it's perfectly within your right to not believe anything I say about it. You can continue to believe that this show is any sort of accurate representation of life in prison.

Archived