Small Questions v.10099

Jon Weirgaryen

I'm sorry if this was already asked. Just another small question. Is there any reason Brienne is called Brienne of Tarth. OF Tarth? I have found several other bastards called by their name and the place they come from, but Brienne is a noblewoman. Is it just it sounds catchy? Is a way of calling her in a despective way? Is Brienne directly calling herself like a bastard born to separate herself from her House?

I'm sorry if this was already asked. Just another small question. Is there any reason Brienne is called Brienne of Tarth. OF Tarth? I have found several other bastards called by their name and the place they come from, but Brienne is a noblewoman. Is it just it sounds catchy? Is a way of calling her in a despective way? Is Brienne directly calling herself like a bastard born to separate herself from her House?

I don't have an in story reason why she's always referred to that way but it would not surprise me if part of the reason she's referred to as Brienne of Tarth is as a parallel to one of the most well known female warriors of European history, Joan of Arc. Joan was also referred to as "The Maid of Orléans", while Brienne is "The Maid of Tarth"

Brienne's 'offiicial' name is Brienne Tarth, she is daughter and heir of Selwyn Tarth "the Evenstar" , Lord of Tarth...

I agree that she is called Brienne of Tarth, because Brienne Tarth is hard to pronounce... It's also pararell to Joan d'Arc ( Joan of Arc ) called 'Maid of Orlean'

I don't recall one being mentioned, but parasols were used before the middle ages so I'd say it's most likely to be true.

In what language 'parasol' is umbrella?

I think that Westerosi would use them to protect from sun, not rain ( maybe in Dorne, Reach, Free Cities)...

When someone will invent umbrellas for rain, he will earn million dragons in Stormlands...

Hi there, I have two questions that I hope somebody can help with.

1. I know that the Northern counterpart to knights is the Northern Heavy Cavalry, but is there also an equivalent to a hedge knight?

2. Are young ladies ever fostered with other noble Houses the way young lordlings are?

What do you call a person that has read the books,

someone who has only seen the show

and a commoner without any knowledge at all?

People who have only watched the show are Unsullied. For those who has read the books and watched the show, and for those who do neither, I haven't seen any specific name... People who both read the series and watch it are usually simply called 'readers'..

I think that Westerosi would use them to protect from sun, not rain ( maybe in Dorne, Reach, Free Cities)...

When someone will invent umbrellas for rain, he will earn million dragons in Stormlands...

:)

Hi there, I have two questions that I hope somebody can help with.

1. I know that the Northern counterpart to knights is the Northern Heavy Cavalry, but is there also an equivalent to a hedge knight?

2. Are young ladies ever fostered with other noble Houses the way young lordlings are?

1. Freerider? 2. Yes. Think Doran's plan for Arianne in Tyrosh.

I'm visualizing Brienne in her dirty mail introducing herself with "Good morrow, I am Lady Brienne Tarth,... of Tarth."

Well but you just need to make it waterproof to turn your parasol into an umbrella !

For example:

" To the west, Aegon Targaryen met a warmer welcome. The greatest city in all of Westeros, Oldtown was ringed about with massive walls and ruled by the Hightowers of Hightower, the oldest, richest, and most powerful of the noble houses of the Reach. Oldtown was also the center of the Faith. There dwelt the High Septon, Father of the Faithful, the voice of the new gods on EARTH, who commanded the obedience of millions of the devout throughout the realms (save in the North, where the old gods still held sway), and the blades of the Faith Militant, the fighting orders the smallfolk called the Stars and Swords."

"Mayhaps the castle was rebuilt on the site of earlier castles, but if so, it was long after Durran Godsgrief and his fair Elenei had passed from this EARTH."

" The easternmost of the Free Cities—Lorath, Norvos, and Qohor—have little commerce with Westeros. For the rest, it is a different matter. Braavos, Pentos, and Volantis are all coastal cities blessed with great harbors. Trade is their life's blood, and their ships travel to the far ends of the EARTH from Yi Ti and Leng and Asshaiby-the-Shadow in the far east, to Lannisport and Oldtown on Westeros. Each city has its own customs and histories. Each has its own gods, too—although the red priesthood of R'hllor holds sway in all of them and often wields considerable power. Over the centuries, their rivalries have been many, and the squabbles and wars between them could—and do—fill volumes."

" Thus was born the Iron Bank of Braavos, whose renown (or infamy, to hear some tell it) now extends to every corner of the known world. Kings, princes, archons, triarchs, and merchants beyond count travel from the ends of the EARTH to seek loans from the heavily guarded vaults of the Iron Bank."

Today the Summer Islanders are a common sight in Oldtown and King's Landing, and the swan ships with their billowing clouds of sails traverse all the seas of EARTH

Half a dozen types of these great beasts make their homes in the Shivering Sea, amongst them grey whales, white whales, humpbacks, savage spotted whales with their hunting packs (which many call the wolves of the wild sea), and the mighty leviathans, the oldest and largest of all the living creatures of the EARTH

To which category on Temple:Houses from the Crownlands add Dargoods and Darkwoods?

They are not lords, we don't know if they are landed knights...

House Darke is in "Knightly Houses" but we don't know if they really are knights...

Ser Harrold Darke was member of Queensguard but that doesn't mean that house is "knightly"...

Can anyone point me to the interview where GRRM is asked whether or not Tolkien should have revived Gandalf or left him for dead?

TIA (that means Thanks In Advance. It's what I call an 'acronym', but that is just a term that I coined myself - acronym, not TIA)

Can anyone point me to the interview where GRRM is asked whether or not Tolkien should have revived Gandalf or left him for dead?

TIA (that means Thanks In Advance. It's what I call an 'acronym', but that is just a term that I coined myself - acronym, not TIA)

Q: You often kill off your characters. Why?

A: I often like to kill one of the main character at the beginning, to establish that I play for keeps. Nobody is safe! It is not the first time I did it. I admire Tolkien, but I think he made a mistake returning Gandalf to life.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1280

("Yeah. Gandalf should have stayed dead." -- GRRM)

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1298

Archived