Raising Chickens

Elder Sister

Oh, my goodness, that is adorable!! I want one too. :love:

I'm listening to an online seminar, but chickens are much more interesting.

I know!!! Aren't they fun? You will just have to come down south and visit my bees and chickens. :)

I too live in the South and it's completely illegal here.

I'm very sorry for you and your inability to be a chicken owner, but am also puzzled why you're posting everywhere and not really making much sense. I can only assume that you're very young and/or maybe not a 1st language English speaker? Maybe I"m being hard to understand. If so, my apologies.

Where I live I can assure you that it's perfectly legal, but I appreciate your concern. Best of luck to you! You might want to move to a place where you can raise chickens and do your car questionnaires in freedom and peace.

I'm very sorry for you and your inability to be a chicken owner, but am also puzzled why you're posting everywhere and not really making much sense. I can only assume that you're very young and/or maybe not a 1st language English speaker? Maybe I"m being hard to understand. If so, my apologies.

Where I live I can assure you that it's perfectly legal, but I appreciate your concern. Best of luck to you! You might want to move to a place where you can raise chickens and do your car questionnaires in freedom and peace.

I think your just taking too much time of being overly critical of me, and now your being racist as well. Are people who don't speak English as their first language misfits?

No, she's not being overly critical of you. She is merely politely making an observation - one that others have made, I can assure you. You won't find a nicer person on this board than Elder Sister, so if her post stung your feelings, I'd be prepared for much worse if I were you.

And for your future reference, "you're," the contraction for "you are," in your post above is the form you want.

It's illegal to have chickens in your backyard in a single family home.

That is incredibly ignorant and broad thing to say. Just because it is illegal where you live (And is it? Have you actually check the local zoning rules or are you just repeating rumors you've heard?) doesn't mean it is illegal everywhere. It is usually a city by city, or county by county ordinance. In my city, we are allowed to have a small flock (up to 4 birds) and no roosters. Other cities around me have varying rules.

I would say it's legal (with restrictions) in more places than it's illegal.

*Edit - I live in the South.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you watch the videos where the hen is being placed in the "holster"? It was... mesmerizing.

And she was so well-behaved too. Just one little "buck, buck" out of her while she was being placed in the contraption. I admit to looking at chickens in a whole new light!

Yeah, I'm sorry, but no self respecting chicken should have to wear that thing.

My chickens will be redneck, diaper free, and probably very crabby and crotchety.

First though, I have to get my bee hives going. Am getting 2 nucs (new starter hives) next month. Once I get the bees situated, I'll get some chickens. But no diaper/holsters.

• 4 weeks later...

I've talked with a guy who has free range (hahahaha - I keep thinking 'feral' chickens - like they're wild and untamed)chickens and seems to do 'okay' with them in the country. Anyone have any experience with them?

With as much land as you have, I would say go for it with the free range. The only problem would be predators, but if the guy you spoke with was reasonable local for you, then that sounds like you're in good shape.

With as much land as you have, I would say go for it with the free range. The only problem would be predators, but if the guy you spoke with was reasonable local for you, then that sounds like you're in good shape.

He's lost some to predators, but not an unreasonable amount of birds.

Can you train birds with unclipped wings to roost in a hen house at night?

That is incredibly ignorant and broad thing to say. Just because it is illegal where you live (And is it? Have you actually check the local zoning rules or are you just repeating rumors you've heard?) doesn't mean it is illegal everywhere. It is usually a city by city, or county by county ordinance. In my city, we are allowed to have a small flock (up to 4 birds) and no roosters. Other cities around me have varying rules.

I would say it's legal (with restrictions) in more places than it's illegal.

*Edit - I live in the South.

It is sadly both legal and quite trendy to have chickens here in Portland, though i wish it weren't.

Archived