consequences of dany spilling blood in vaes dothrak ?

TheLightning Lord

No you didnt you liar, you saw this on the Preston Jacobs "what you are missing 1.4" video released, not coincidentally, the day before you started this thread.... At least give Lord Preston credit where its due. geez.

Has "Lord" Preston started giving credit to those whose artwork he uses - sometimes without consent - in his videos?

How would they know about an incident that happened in private between Daenerys and Viserys?

Dany's handmaids were there. Some of them still live, IIRC. I'm not saying it's particularly likely, but it's certainly possible.

Dany's handmaids were there. Some of them still live, IIRC. I'm not saying it's particularly likely, but it's certainly possible.

Why would Dany's loyal handmaidens share that information though? I can't remember off the top of my head if they were there for the confrontation - I'm sure at least one was told to take Doreah out of the tent and tend to her - but even if they were they'd have no reason to now give a shit about Viserys' cut.

Again though, I don't think it matters. I interpret the whole thing as being a pay to prevent the khalasars killing one another.

Considering the Dothraki main weapons are swords and bows (which both draw blood) it seems like it would create a truce to me.

Agree completely.

Considering how war-like the Dothraki are and how totally they adhere to the 'right of the strongest' practive they would have constant fighting in Vaes Dothrak if they hadn't a rule that prevented that.

They need peace in their quasi-capital in order to have a central lynchpin for their culture where they can come together to talk, trade and politic and have the Dosh Kaleen as the safekeepers of their traditions.

Thus to me the 'no spilling of blood' rule seems to come from a socio-political necessity which then has been clad into a sort of religious taboo, not the other way round.

Why would Dany's loyal handmaidens share that information though? I can't remember off the top of my head if they were there for the confrontation - I'm sure at least one was told to take Doreah out of the tent and tend to her - but even if they were they'd have no reason to now give a shit about Viserys' cut.

Again though, I don't think it matters. I interpret the whole thing as being a pay to prevent the khalasars killing one another.

Don't know why. *Shrug*. Just saying it's possible.

And of course the real purpose of the ban on shedding blood is to impose some order on what would otherwise be a gigantic clusterfuck of killing and maiming (delightful people, those Dothraki)... but it wouldn't be the first time (even in this story) that somebody used some absurd religious rule for political purposes.

Considering how war-like the Dothraki are and how totally they adhere to the 'right of the strongest' practive they would have constant fighting in Vaes Dothrak if they hadn't a rule that prevented that.

They need peace in their quasi-capital in order to have a central lynchpin for their culture where they can come together to talk, trade and politic and have the Dosh Kaleen as the safekeepers of their traditions.

Thus to me the 'no spilling of blood' rule seems to come from a socio-political necessity which then has been clad into a sort of religious taboo, not the other way round.

There is part of that:

In this place, the crones of the dosh khaleen had decreed, all Dothraki were one blood, one khalasar, one herd

But it is not forbidden to kill. It is forbidden to shed blood, by gods decree:

Jhogo told me. Some of the traders have eunuchs with them, huge men who strangle thieves with wisps of silk. That way no blood is shed and the gods are not angered.

Possibly, the consequences have already been seen. The death of Drogo and Daenerys son.

Anyone who tries to accuse Dany of violating the law in VD because she cut her brother's face with a belt will get laughed out of the city. I'm sure they see more blood than that pounding horse dung into biscuits.

And besides, if anyone tries to bring Dany back to VD as anything but the Khaleesi of Khals, they would have to take her dragon away first.

Anyone who tries to accuse Dany of violating the law in VD because she cut her brother's face with a belt will get laughed out of the city. I'm sure they see more blood than that pounding horse dung into biscuits.

Pretty much the simplest, best answer in the thread.

I assumed that the dothraki "don't spill blood" rule is similar to the jewish "don't spill blood" rule. Don't cut people's throats, don't cut their heads off, and such. Jews used to go around it by stoning criminals to death. Dothraki seem to go around it by pouring boiling liquid on your head. I don't think cutting a guy's face and causing some blood to come out qualifies, unless he bleeds to death.

But who knows.

merchants kept eunuch guards with silk strips, to choke to death any thieves.

wrapping a swathe of silk, or any material, around a neck - and compressing until owner of said neck is dead - is very likely to result in blood exiting the victims vascular system; spilling blood.

pouring any quantity of molten gold onto a person is even more certainly going to see blood leaving the target of said smelt-down, and therefore spilled.

a stupid and ill-thought-out prohibition, with no further explanation or clarification beyond its moronic first, and only, line.

what about accidents, while doing labors necessitating a blade or sharp tool? (butchering, carpentry, smith)

what about maidenhead breaking, or otherwise likely to induce bleeding style sexy times?

maybe the author cared/thought less about it than some readers?

No she did spill his blood. When daenerys was giving viserys the dothraki clothes she had made for him, viserys laughed at the gifts and started of with his "I'm not a savage crap" and said next she'd want to braid his hair. Dany replied he had no right to a braid, cause he hadn't won any victories. Viserys started getting violent with her, calling daenerys a slut and saying her being pregnant won't stop the Dragon awakening. She grabbed the first thing she could, which was some metal belt and swung it at his face with all her strength. Which ended up cutting his face.

Yes. But I think the act of spilling blood refers to actually killing someone. Otherwise if you bump into someone and they scratch their arm, are you cursed?

• 1 month later...

Here are the quotes...

Ser Jorah had explained that it was forbidden to carry a blade in Vaes Dothrak, or to shed a free man's blood.

Daenerys IV, Game 36

She reached out with her other hand and grabbed the first thing she touched, the belt she'd hoped to give him, a heavy chain of ornate bronze medallions. She swung it with all her strength.

It caught him full in the face. Viserys let go of her. Blood ran down his cheek where the edge of one of the medallions had sliced it open.

Daenerys IV, Game 36

She definitely broke the law, and The George spelled it out for us. But I don't see how she'd be cursed.

Archived