On what planet is stealing someone's personal property (even an American Flag being used in a protest) okay?

Ser Scot A Ellison

Michelle Manhart steals American Flag from protestors, refuses to return it to the flags owners, and then is arrested for refusing to return the flag and resisting arrest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cJZ1ZP6sXM

People are defending her because she was attempting to prevent Flag desecration. She stole someones personal property.

I am not advocating this i am just honestly asking, if you came out of your home and i was burning a Quran and a effigy of the prophet what would be your snap reaction

What is the correct disposal method for images of the prophet? Since there is not supposed to be any images or effigies in the first place burning might be the correct response.

And if its not the propeht and just some random Muslim effiggy then I'd probably inform you that its Cathlics we burn and I may complain about the lack of fireworks.

I really can't imagian Scott calling anyone an asshole.

I think that he might have called a certain Quebecois security guard in Montreal an asshole, albeit under his breath.

I'd forgotten about that. now I look back I'm suppried he never set fire to some mapel syruip to protest againt anit sit-eating enforcements.

Fair enough, Solog. Why not use posters of the policy makers, though? It strikes me as a more succinct and to-the-point means of communicating the message in question. Burning a flag does come with a good deal of shock value and would draw attention (see my posts in this thread), but most of the media that would cover it probably wouldn't care about the meaning so much as, well, the shock value and the ratings that come with it.

As a matter of fact, my major thought here was:

The police needs better training...

They escalated the situation in my opinion unnecessary. 4 guys needing to wrestle down a woman half their size... I am sorry... That just looks bad.

reck--

am fairly sure that some protests have burnt political figures in effigy, sometimes in conjunction with flagburning.

but, back to your original point: sometimes foreign groups, such as far right theocrats in arabia or persia, may burn the US flag both in protest to the foreign policy as well as the liberal political theory, which they may also oppose as too progressive. no contradiction there, though, as they are not direct beneficiaries of US domestic policy.

It's an uglier history that. The revolutionary/nationalist mythos is really a later 19th century construct, before the Civil War nationalism was a fairly weak force in American life. Growing nationalism and attachment to revolutionary symbols is linked to anti-immigrant nativism- tracing lineage back to the colonial/revolutionary era was proof of 'real' Americanism, various organizations formed around this (Sons/Daughters of the American Revolution/Mayflower Society). And then of course in the 20th century it takes on a huge role in the language of reactionaries during the Red Scares and Cold War. It's not a symbol or sentiment forged during the revolution as much as it's been used by people laying claims to the revolutionary mythos for various right-wing ends.

Patriotism was a thing after the revolution. It did disappear a bit afterward. While I agree that part of it has to do with the immigration issues you describe, it was revived before that. The flag and nationalism was revived during the civil war and years leading up to it as the Union used it to show their solidarity and rejection of the secessionist attitudes of the confederate states.

Or, one can reasonably argue that the players are unimportant as they are merely lowest-biddable-price automatons for the military-industrial complex and it is the concept of a global hegemony that deserves scorn, ergo, burn the flag and not the effigy of a particular politician.

That the Iraq war for instance - there were 70+ votes in the Senate who authorized it (conditionally). So, what, burn 70 + W/Rumsfeld/Rice/Wolfotwitz? That's a lot of effigy.

It's okay on dwarf planets like Pluto or Ceres because they are no longer subject to the laws of the Interplanetary Federation. Be especially careful on Makemake. People just take your flags left and right there. Also you die from cold and depressurization, so watch out for that too.

Archived