Eddard Stark as a king?

Like they didn't caused troubles to Aenys?

And yet Jon said that Ned never trusted Roose. Which could mean that he only wanted an excuse to attack Ned.

Again. No one would liked him, except maybe JonA and Robert, because he wasn't a likable person, he wasn't charismatic and he wasn't a politician.

The Faith and the Old Gods have gotten along peacefully for centuries. Would the Faith be particularly happy with a follower of the Old Gods on the Throne, probably not. Does Ned ever show any evidence of forcing his belief on others or disrespecting the 7, no. I would guess the deal would be that Ned's children all be named in the light of the 7.

Going from "Ned never trusted Roose," to assuming that means Roose wanted to attack Ned is false and flawed logic. Making a huge assumption. The Boltons are power hungry, but not stupid, well Roose isn't. Ned never gave Roose a reason to betray and attack him and assuming Roose would just because Ned never trusted him is foolish.

If he was not such a likable person, why were the small folk of Winterfell and the rest of the North so supportive of him? The Starks were beloved by the North. Also Ned can use other people to bolster his support. Robert is very likable and could be a great person to rally support to Ned. Jon was a good politician and wold be able to strike good deals with other high lords, namely Dorne.

Disagree. The Faith caused much trouble for the Targaryens in the early years of the dynasty. Jaehaerys I had to strike a deal.

If Ned converted to the Faith of the Seven, sure. I could see it. But if the Faith weren't a deal breaker, the Targs would still be worshipping Balerion and Meraxes and the like.

Exactly, a deal was struck. The Faith had problems with the Targs because of their incest and polygamy. Ned practices neither, and The Faith and the Old Gods have gotten along with each other for centuries, in basically a live and let live situation.

Disagree. The Faith caused much trouble for the Targaryens in the early years of the dynasty. Jaehaerys I had to strike a deal.

If Ned converted to the Faith of the Seven, sure. I could see it. But if the Faith weren't a deal breaker, the Targs would still be worshipping Balerion and Meraxes and the like.

Faith caused problems because Targaryens practiced incest and polygamy. Plus Faith had their own forces. I don't see reason why Faith would have issues with Ned as king.

The Faith and the Old Gods have gotten along peacefully for centuries.

True. But the Faith never had an heretic King.

The Faith and the Old Gods have gotten along peacefully for centuries. Would the Faith be particularly happy with a follower of the Old Gods on the Throne, probably not. Does Ned ever show any evidence of forcing his belief on others or disrespecting the 7, no. I would guess the deal would be that Ned's children all be named in the light of the 7.

So you believe that there is a possibility that from all people in GRRTH Ned would betray and insult his family? Seems legit.

If he was not such a likable person, why were the small folk of Winterfell and the rest of the North so supportive of him? The Starks were beloved by the North. Also Ned can use other people to bolster his support. Robert is very likable and could be a great person to rally support to Ned. Jon was a good politician and wold be able to strike good deals with other high lords, namely Dorne.

Again the freaking North. North wasn't the only place where smallfolk lived. Outside of North Starks were nothing special. There were other seven Kingdoms some more populous some not so where people lived and those people wouldn't like a King like Ned.

If he was not such a likable person, why were the small folk of Winterfell and the rest of the North so supportive of him?

Because had has the legendary Stark name, which is absolutely adored in the North, shares their religion, and took the time to dine with most of them one on one, which obviously isn't possible on the scale of King's Landing.

Because had has the legendary Stark name, which is absolutely adored in the North, shares their religion, and took the time to dine with most of them one on one, which obviously isn't possible on the scale of King's Landing.

No, Ned could not dine with all the small folk, but he could dine with certain people from each workers guild, the gold cloaks, lesser Crownland lords, ect. No he is not the most charismatic person, but that does not mean he can win people to his side. Decent people will see that he is a decent person.

True. But the Faith never had an heretic King.

So you believe that there is a possibility that from all people in GRRTH Ned would betray and insult his family? Seems legit.

Again the freaking North. North wasn't the only place where smallfolk lived. Outside of North Starks were nothing special. There were other seven Kingdoms some more populous some not so where people lived and those people wouldn't like a King like Ned.

Well Sansa always followed the 7 more then the Old Gods. And just because they are named in the Light of the 7, that does not mean they wouldn't or couldn't honor the Old Gods still.

Would it be a tense peace between Ned and the Faith, maybe because the higher ups in the Faith likely still would not like Ned to much, but they became more political animals then purely servants of the gods, meaning they would not want to come across as poorly. Could they turn on Ned if the small folk turned on him, absolutely.

For the most part the average person in Westeros doesn't care who the king is and the faith of the king matters little to them. They all started to love Margaery because she came across as kind and loving to the small folk. Now Ned would not come across that way, but as he does want what is best for the Realm and wants to protect the small folk, I think it is likely his policies would win them over, especially is Varys likes him and puts his little birds to the use of not just spying, but trying to spread good will towards Ned.

"The real enemies"? If, as you say, it was only business for the Tyrells, there's no such thing as "the real enemies". Be consistent.

And, looking at it business-like, joining the potential Lannister rebellion wouldn't look that attractive for them. The North will be with Ned, Robert, Jon and Hoster will be with Ned, Dorne sure as hell will be on the opposite side of House Lannister. So the Tyrells can either join Ned and be a part of an overwhelming alliance, crushing the Lannisters easily: even if nothing to win, then at least impossible to lose; or join Tywin, making sides more balanced, but still with risky outcome, uncertain gain and a possibility of truly disastrous lose, should they lose. A bad gamble, all in all.

1) I am being consistent. What you're overlooking is that the Tyrell's are in it for business, but notably do not expect the same of people they have fought. They specifically are convinced Stannis harbours a serious grudge for the siege of SE.

Meaning, why would the tyrells want to have no advancement under the leadership of people they assume hold a grudge against them vs. sharing a throne with people who were never their enemies? It's bad business.

2) there's absolutely no certainty that the baratheons and Arryn all support Ned when the pre-Trident decision was Robert AND it raises huge issues with the faithful. Moreover, those regions are exhausted from war; the 2 wealthiest and mightiest regions are not. And, again, crown + non-enemies in power above you vs. no crown and enemies above you. Or, why do you think the Tyrell's joined the Lannisters once Renly was dead when the Lannisters were on their own?

1) I am being consistent. What you're overlooking is that the Tyrell's are in it for business, but notably do not expect the same of people they have fought. They specifically are convinced Stannis harbours a serious grudge for the siege of SE.

Meaning, why would the tyrells want to have no advancement under the leadership of people they assume hold a grudge against them vs. sharing a throne with people who were never their enemies? It's bad business.

2) there's absolutely no certainty that the baratheons and Arryn all support Ned when the pre-Trident decision was Robert AND it raises huge issues with the faithful. Moreover, those regions are exhausted from war; the 2 wealthiest and mightiest regions are not. And, again, crown + non-enemies in power above you vs. no crown and enemies above you. Or, why do you think the Tyrell's joined the Lannisters once Renly was dead when the Lannisters were on their own?

The Westerlands may not be exhausted from war, but they would have lost a large amount of troops, not to mention Tywin at King's Landing because if it is Ned that takes the crown, he is not going to just pardon Tywin and Co, there is going to be a fight. So it would be the North, Riverlands, Vale, and Stormlands, with Dorne either neutral or siding with Ned vs. the Westerlands under Kevan Lannister. Kevan is much more pragmatic then Tywin and he would know that the best way to preserve his House is to bend the knee under those circumstances.

I just find it unlikely the Tyrells would side with the Lannister. During the war they were Targ loyalist. Would they be happy that the Targs are gone, no, but they are smart enough to want to preserve their House and their power. On the other side, the Lannisters, the house that betrayed their king, maybe worse then Robert, Ned, and Jon, because Tywin had been a loyal king's man. And it was Tywin that had the royal family killed, word of that would get out. So why would the Tyrell's side with the Lannisters, especially if the royal family they were fighting for was presumed wiped out?

I can understand the Westerlands wanting to rebel against Ned and Co. he just killed Tywin and set many other Westerlands lords and knights to the Wall, they are pissed and want revenge/justice. But I do not see it likely that the Tyrells would side with them, they are ambitious and would more then likely want to ingratiate themselves to the new rulers.

My personal feeling is that Ned would have OK as King but it would have ended in civil war eventually as Tywin would eventually formed a force to try and remove Ned.

In the short term this how I see it playing out:

Ned removes Pycell and Varys from the small council, send Varys to the Wall (who escapes to Essos).

Ned condemns the Mountain for killing the Targaryen children, Tywin pleads ignorance and is not brought on charges. Jon Arryn makes a deal with Tywin that if he supports Ned, Jaime will be released from the King's Guard and not sent to the Wall. Tywin agrees and the Mountain is handed over to Dorne to be executed.

Benjen is made Lord of Winterfell and Lord Paramount of the North. Robert is made War Commander on the Small Council and Jon Arryn is made hand. Hoster joins the Small Council along with Stannis. Stannis is named Lord of Dragon Stone as Ned does away with the Targ tradition of the Crown Prince taking up residence there.

Littlefinger joins the Small Council at Cat's request.

Jon Arryn makes peace with the Reach and Dorne, much like he does in Robert's reign

Ned and Jon make a deal with the Targaryen forces on Dragonstone, Viserys is allowed to choose either banishment form Westeros or join the Night's Watch (he chooses banishment) and Daenerys is granted clemency. She becomes Ned's ward and is promised to Robb Stark.

Ned sends his men to find Lyanna, the scene is similar to what actually happens. Ned's large force he sent in his stead defeat the 3 King's Guard and present the baby and Lyanna's body to King Ned. Ned does not recognize the marriage but grants the bastard clemency and he is sent to be his brother's ward in Winterfell.

Tywin is given the choice of marriages for Cersie as part of his deal, Robert as Lord of Stormlands and Lord Paramount of the West, Stannis as Lord of Dragonstone or Edmure Tully as future Lord of Riverrun and future Lord Paramount of the Riverlands. Tywin, seeing Edmure as the much more easily subjugated husband chooses the Riverlands for his daughter.

Jaime heads back to Casterly Rock to be Tywin's heir once again. He is eventually marries Margery Tyrell (Tywin is already trying to build a power bloc of the Westerlands, the Reach and Cersie's husband in the Riverlands)

Eventually Littlefinger gets Lysa to poison Jon Aryn (in a move to marry her and get his hands on the Vale). Ned not one to actually use the Hand of the King, selects the Crown Prince Robb Stark to fill the mostly ceremonial position. The further splits the Southern Lords who have no voice in the small council or as a Hand.

Littlefinger makes a deal (after Hoster also has an accident making Edmure Lord of the Riverlands) with Tywin and eventually an all out civil war starts between Tywin's Westerlands, The Reach, The Vale and the Riverlands. Tywin has also made a deal with the Boltons in the North to support their cause and take Moat Catlin therefore halting the majority of the Northern forces above the Neck.

The Iron Islands take this chance to rebel (having never rebelled because Ned and Benjen's attention to the North during his reign) and attack the North for themselves.

Dorne declares their independence during the war.

That would leave Ned (with the forces of the North stuck behind the Neck) with only the Crownlands and the Stormlands to face the majority of the rest of the Kingdom.

The inevitable occurs as Tywin's forces win and makes Tywin King.

My personal feeling is that Ned would have OK as King but it would have ended in civil war eventually as Tywin would eventually formed a force to try and remove Ned.

In the short term this how I see it playing out:

Ned removes Pycell and Varys from the small council, send Varys to the Wall (who escapes to Essos).

Ned condemns the Mountain for killing the Targaryen children, Tywin pleads ignorance and is not brought on charges. Jon Arryn makes a deal with Tywin that if he supports Ned, Jaime will be released from the King's Guard and not sent to the Wall. Tywin agrees and the Mountain is handed over to Dorne to be executed.

Benjen is made Lord of Winterfell and Lord Paramount of the North. Robert is made War Commander on the Small Council and Jon Arryn is made hand. Hoster joins the Small Council along with Stannis. Stannis is named Lord of Dragon Stone as Ned does away with the Targ tradition of the Crown Prince taking up residence there.

Littlefinger joins the Small Council at Cat's request.

Jon Arryn makes peace with the Reach and Dorne, much like he does in Robert's reign

Ned and Jon make a deal with the Targaryen forces on Dragonstone, Viserys is allowed to choose either banishment form Westeros or join the Night's Watch (he chooses banishment) and Daenerys is granted clemency. She becomes Ned's ward and is promised to Robb Stark.

Ned sends his men to find Lyanna, the scene is similar to what actually happens. Ned's large force he sent in his stead defeat the 3 King's Guard and present the baby and Lyanna's body to King Ned. Ned does not recognize the marriage but grants the bastard clemency and he is sent to be his brother's ward in Winterfell.

Tywin is given the choice of marriages for Cersie as part of his deal, Robert as Lord of Stormlands and Lord Paramount of the West, Stannis as Lord of Dragonstone or Edmure Tully as future Lord of Riverrun and future Lord Paramount of the Riverlands. Tywin, seeing Edmure as the much more easily subjugated husband chooses the Riverlands for his daughter.

Jaime heads back to Casterly Rock to be Tywin's heir once again. He is eventually marries Margery Tyrell (Tywin is already trying to build a power bloc of the Westerlands, the Reach and Cersie's husband in the Riverlands)

Eventually Littlefinger gets Lysa to poison Jon Aryn (in a move to marry her and get his hands on the Vale). Ned not one to actually use the Hand of the King, selects the Crown Prince Robb Stark to fill the mostly ceremonial position. The further splits the Southern Lords who have no voice in the small council or as a Hand.

Littlefinger makes a deal (after Hoster also has an accident making Edmure Lord of the Riverlands) with Tywin and eventually an all out civil war starts between Tywin's Westerlands, The Reach, The Vale and the Riverlands. Tywin has also made a deal with the Boltons in the North to support their cause and take Moat Catlin therefore halting the majority of the Northern forces above the Neck.

The Iron Islands take this chance to rebel (having never rebelled because Ned and Benjen's attention to the North during his reign) and attack the North for themselves.

Dorne declares their independence during the war.

That would leave Ned (with the forces of the North stuck behind the Neck) with only the Crownlands and the Stormlands to face the majority of the rest of the Kingdom.

The inevitable occurs as Tywin's forces win and makes Tywin King.

I had not thought of that. It makes a lot of sense. Dany being promised to Robb. Also with Ned in power instead of Robert, there would be no need to pretend Jon in his (assuming that is how it all went down), so recognizing him as Rhaegar's and Lyanna's bastard is less of a deal, and I think he would be fostered at Winterfell, no need to have anyone with Targ blood in the capitol unless necessary, I'd keep Dany at Dragonstone for a while, or maybe Riverrun. Casterly Rock would even be an option, but unlikely. I'd keep her away from potential enemies. Keep her semi isolated in Dragonstone until she is 10 or so, then bring her to court as Robb's betrothed, maybe even later, say 13, and send Robb to Dragonstone so they can meet and get to know each other. Bring her out basically at the time of the wedding, so when she is out and more people have access to her, she is firmly in the Stark camp. I'd also send Viserys to the wall, in exile he could still become a threat.

Though I disagree with you when it comes to Varys and Littlefinger. I think Jon Arryn recognizes the need for someone like Varys, they need information, so I think he stays on the Small Council. Also, Ned can't dismiss Pycell, as much as he might want to, only the Citadel can name a Grand Maester, that is how Pycell got back in after Tyrion booted him. Then with Ned being more fiscally responsible I just do not see Littlefinger's talents being as needed, meaning he does not rise as high and does not gain as much power.

I also do not think Ned would reduce the role of Hand to ceremonial. It might lose some importance and power as Ned would be a very hands on King, not one to leave the governance to others, but it would still be an important role when Ned is out of the capitol, or just sick. I see it being more like a steward, or a weak Prime Minister, then the Head of Government (with the King being the Head of State). Robb serving as Hand is not a bad idea after he is 16 or 18, maybe older, as a way to prepare him to rule, but not if you make it a ceremonial position.

As for Tywin, that is all certainly possible, but why, especially after Ned gives him back the only thing he seems to care about, Jaime. You never gave a good reason as to why Tywin would start another rebellion/civil war, especially in your scenario where he is treated rather fairly, really he gets off easy. He does not get punished, he gets his heir back, his daughter marries another high lord. Where is the motivation to rebel. You have the how, just not the why. Personally I think Ned executes Tywin 1)for his crimes in sacking KL, 2)for the murders of Elia and her children, 3)to appease Dorne, but this is your scenario. Maybe if, as punishment for said crimes, taxes in the Westerlands were raised, or they lost lands to the Riverlands and Reach, but there has to be a reason for Tywin to rebel.

I had not thought of that. It makes a lot of sense. Dany being promised to Robb. Also with Ned in power instead of Robert, there would be no need to pretend Jon in his (assuming that is how it all went down), so recognizing him as Rhaegar's and Lyanna's bastard is less of a deal, and I think he would be fostered at Winterfell, no need to have anyone with Targ blood in the capitol unless necessary, I'd keep Dany at Dragonstone for a while, or maybe Riverrun. Casterly Rock would even be an option, but unlikely. I'd keep her away from potential enemies. Keep her semi isolated in Dragonstone until she is 10 or so, then bring her to court as Robb's betrothed, maybe even later, say 13, and send Robb to Dragonstone so they can meet and get to know each other. Bring her out basically at the time of the wedding, so when she is out and more people have access to her, she is firmly in the Stark camp. I'd also send Viserys to the wall, in exile he could still become a threat.

Though I disagree with you when it comes to Varys and Littlefinger. I think Jon Arryn recognizes the need for someone like Varys, they need information, so I think he stays on the Small Council. Also, Ned can't dismiss Pycell, as much as he might want to, only the Citadel can name a Grand Maester, that is how Pycell got back in after Tyrion booted him. Then with Ned being more fiscally responsible I just do not see Littlefinger's talents being as needed, meaning he does not rise as high and does not gain as much power.

I also do not think Ned would reduce the role of Hand to ceremonial. It might lose some importance and power as Ned would be a very hands on King, not one to leave the governance to others, but it would still be an important role when Ned is out of the capitol, or just sick. I see it being more like a steward, or a weak Prime Minister, then the Head of Government (with the King being the Head of State). Robb serving as Hand is not a bad idea after he is 16 or 18, maybe older, as a way to prepare him to rule, but not if you make it a ceremonial position.

As for Tywin, that is all certainly possible, but why, especially after Ned gives him back the only thing he seems to care about, Jaime. You never gave a good reason as to why Tywin would start another rebellion/civil war, especially in your scenario where he is treated rather fairly, really he gets off easy. He does not get punished, he gets his heir back, his daughter marries another high lord. Where is the motivation to rebel. You have the how, just not the why. Personally I think Ned executes Tywin 1)for his crimes in sacking KL, 2)for the murders of Elia and her children, 3)to appease Dorne, but this is your scenario. Maybe if, as punishment for said crimes, taxes in the Westerlands were raised, or they lost lands to the Riverlands and Reach, but there has to be a reason for Tywin to rebel.

I still think the best thing Ned could have done is to send Tywin and Jaime fast to the wall. He clearly saw that Tywin can not be trusted and his moral is very bad on Eddard's standards. I think Kevan Lannister would bend knee after the possible battle at Kings Landing.

I still think the best thing Ned could have done is to send Tywin and Jaime fast to the wall. He clearly saw that Tywin can not be trusted and his moral is very bad on Eddard's standards. I think Kevan Lannister would bend knee after the possible battle at Kings Landing.

In my scenario, Ned executes Tywin for his crimes in King's Landing and against Elia and her kids. Jaime gets sent to the Wall, where I think he would do very well. I would not trust Tywin on the Wall. But by executing him, you appease Dorne and get Kevan as Lord of Casterly Rock.

Sure, he'd have to start a war with the Lannisters, even though the Lannisters are rich and powerful I don't think it would be much of a problem for Eddard. He'd have the entire north, the Vale, the Riverlands, Dorne (probably). This is no match for Eddard. Sure, the Lannisters are quite rich and powerful, but all those houses would have a reason to support Eddard. North, because he is the warden of the North. The Vale because of the fact that Jon Arryn was like a father to Eddard. The RIverlands because of his marriage to Catelyn. Dorne because of the fact that a Lannister bannerman brutally murdered their princess and her children. Baratheon because of the fact that Robert and him are like brothers.

So as one thinks about it, the Lannisters wouldn't have much against Eddard. Maybe they would be able to form an alliance with the Greyjoys and Martells, but the Martells would know that it's a pretty difficult war.

I agree that Viserys to the Wall is the better choice, but they would want Daenerys to marry Robb to further legitimize the Stark's rule so they would need to treat Viserys with kid gloves so they could make the deal. Ned is not a hard liner so he wouldn't kill Viserys and forcing him to the Wall probably breaks the deal.

And Ned might not be able to kick Pycell from the Citidel's employment he could very easily kick him out of King's Laanding.

The position of Hand would be important while Jon Arryn was alive, but as soon as he passed I do not think Ned would consider a lot of people worthy of the position, especially when he is so hands on. It would be a good training ground for his son the future King. Just a guess on my part.

As far as Tywin goes, Tywin will be Tywin. If he is not shaping the world he is trying to get into a position that he is shaping the world.

By Tywin marrying Jaime to Margery he gets the Reach and the power to take the Throne so his children and Grandchildren are the rulers of Westeros. Same thing he did with Cersie but an even better outcome for him as the Lannisters are the Royals.

Like they didn't caused troubles to Aenys?

And yet Jon said that Ned never trusted Roose. Which could mean that he only wanted an excuse to attack Ned.

Again. No one would liked him, except maybe JonA and Robert, because he wasn't a likable person, he wasn't charismatic and he wasn't a politician.

They had no other way than going to war. It's not like they had a choice. Jon said that Ned never trusted Roose. Which could mean that he only wanted an excuse to attack Ned.

is tywin the only one who can lead by fear? it doesnt matter how he controls Bolton he still controlled him

Even if he had done something like that which is stupid, and he was stupid enough to do than why do you believe that they would ever had gone at the Wall? Ned was too stupid and stuck up to be a good King or a King at all. He wasn't a politician or a leader and ruler. He was a good follower tho.

To the bold d this is a men who ruled the North for almost two decades.

I agree that Viserys to the Wall is the better choice, but they would want Daenerys to marry Robb to further legitimize the Stark's rule so they would need to treat Viserys with kid gloves so they could make the deal. Ned is not a hard liner so he wouldn't kill Viserys and forcing him to the Wall probably breaks the deal.

And Ned might not be able to kick Pycell from the Citidel's employment he could very easily kick him out of King's Laanding.

The position of Hand would be important while Jon Arryn was alive, but as soon as he passed I do not think Ned would consider a lot of people worthy of the position, especially when he is so hands on. It would be a good training ground for his son the future King. Just a guess on my part.

As far as Tywin goes, Tywin will be Tywin. If he is not shaping the world he is trying to get into a position that he is shaping the world.

By Tywin marrying Jaime to Margery he gets the Reach and the power to take the Throne so his children and Grandchildren are the rulers of Westeros. Same thing he did with Cersie but an even better outcome for him as the Lannisters are the Royals.

I totally agree with wanting Dany to marry Robb to legitimize their rule more. But she is a newborn and would have no memory of the events, so no need to be kind to Viserys for her sake.

I do not see Jaime and Margaery as a done deal. That would be a marriage to take place down the line considering Margaery's youth. So to me there is no guarantee they would marry. Why marry Jaime, a much older man, who while would be lord of Casterly Rock one day, is a member of a House on the outs with the royal court. There would be better matches to be made to get the Tyrells in the Starks and their loyal allies.

You also give Edmure to little credit (and that is saying something coming from me) his sister is the Queen. A marriage to Cersie would not automatically make Edmure Tywin's puppet, especially considering how terrible a person Cersei is, that is not likely to be a happy marriage, if it would even happen. In a world where Ned is king, Tywin would not be nearly as powerful because it would be common knowledge that his family and royal family are not on friendly terms, so Tywin would not just be getting what he wants.

I personally think that the Tyrells would be more interested in a Tully or Stark marriage for Margaery. She won't be Queen, but a daughter of hers could be. There is plenty of cousins getting married in Westeros amongst the high lords, so the daughter of say Margaery and Edmure could easily marry the son of Robb and Dany. I think we have all forgotten about the Queen of Thorns, she has great influence over Mace and given the circumstances of the Lannisters being on unfriendly terms with the crown would want to position her family as closely to the crown as possible, not a semi disgraced lord, that frankly, no one really likes.

Ned maybe hands on, much more so then other lords, but he still has a steward, still deligates duties and power. Even Stannis has a Hand he uses for more then a figure head and Stannis rule just a few thousand men and no real land.

Archived