Stannis haters have to like him a little bit more from tonights episode

Wavey Sauce

I haven't really been too miffed about the show's portrayal of Stannis with the exception of one scene; having him sanction the burning Axell Florent & Friends for not converting to the Lord of Light. I imagine this will make it impossible for many show watchers to sympathize with him no matter what he does in the future.

The scene with him and Shireen could make grown men shed a tear. He loves his daughter so much.

The whole "are you ashamed of me father"

And then hearing the story about the doll and how people wanted her to be sent away to the stone men etc

People who dont like Stannis have to like him a little bit more with that scene its hard not to

Loved it. Thought Stannis was Ok in the books and terrible in the show. Almost cried during that scene.

though it made it way too obvious that shireen is going to die this year

I haven't really been too miffed about the show's portrayal of Stannis with the exception of one scene; having him sanction the burning Axell Florent & Friends for not converting to the Lord of Light. I imagine this will make it impossible for many show watchers to sympathize with him no matter what he does in the future.

That was a pretty damning scene, yeah. I think the idea is that Stannis grudgingly defers to Mel on some of that shit because he knows her magic is real. I mean she proved it, with shadow babies and flame visions and poison-surviving.

In the post-Axel scene, Stannis snarls, "I hate a great many things, but I suffer them all the same," suggesting that he sees Mel's sacrifices as a necessary evil.

I don't see that. On the show he's burning 'infidels' and critics of Melisandre just because she told him to, seemingly. They never mention any desire to reap magical benefit (and never get any), only that the infidels need to be punished for being infidels. That's Joffrey levels of evil.

His burnings made sense in the novels; the only people being burned were those who were facing a beheading or hanging regardless of religion, he just swapped out the traditional method for a painful one to get magical benefit. It encapsulated:

- his uncompromising justice, in that he is unwilling to punish anyone but those he would punish otherwise, despite knowing the magical power at his disposal,

- his mercilessness in his willingness to inflict excruciating pain on traitors/enemies,

- his pragmatism.

For some reason Dave and Dan deemed it more important that Stannis burn people for shit all, and that the audience be repeatedly reminded of it. Davos and Saan talk about how he's been burning all those who criticized Melisandre, Melisandre defends their burning of infidels for the crime of being infidels, Stannis questions how much Davos cares about his own life when he is unwilling not to criticize Melisandre, and then there's the Axell scene.

Wait... There are people out there that hate Stannis? Blasphemy.

I did love this scene. The hug at the end was perfect. I'm pretty sure it means Stannis and Shireen are probably doomed, but hey. I stopped having feelings after the Red Wedding.

Oh dear friend...

There are a LOT of people who hate stannis.

The reason being they dont think a "real" Baratheon will sit on the iron throne again.

They like to support Dany , Snow, Tyrion & Bran because they know its GRRMs favorite characters and at the end wanna say "Ha, told you so."

I personally dont hate stannis, but with the endless amount of bad luck he has to deal with, I dont think he will sit on the IT.

Hence like all the others I mentioned, I do not support him.

I like him maybe 1 % more. Regardless, I think he's dead meat at the end of this season, or the start of the next one.

I hope he is not. I never strongly disliked him, but with time it transitioned from a slight dislike to like. Partially due to the death of other "heroes".

Selyse on the other hand...no me gusta.

I loved that scene, I almost shed a tear there, it was a great scene. And good for D&D to show another layer to Stannis

I like him maybe 1 % more. Regardless, I think he's dead meat at the end of this season, or the start of the next one.

I still dont see how people are making the conclusion just because they give Stannis and Shireen a great father/daughter scene that they are going to kill them off, there are no hints of that. D&D needed to show another side to Stannis as a character which they did as he has/is getting a lot more screen time than usual so you need to show different sides of characters. So just because you want to flesh out a character a little more doesnt mean they are going to be killed off. Stannis will definitely make it through s5, and probably s6, but people have kept on going of Stannis is going to die and guess what he is still going and dont see that changing for a long time.

I will admit that I'm marginally worried about Stannis' survival this season, and even more so for Shireen. At this point, the show's audience has been conditioned to expect the worst scenarios, so I think it would be great if they defied that expectation with these two. The amount of time the writers spent on developing the Jon-Stannis bromance gives me hope that they intend to have them meet up again at some point in the future.

I loved that scene, I almost shed a tear there, it was a great scene. And good for D&D to show another layer to Stannis

I still dont see how people are making the conclusion just because they give Stannis and Shireen a great father/daughter scene that they are going to kill them off, there are no hints of that. D&D needed to show another side to Stannis as a character which they did as he has/is getting a lot more screen time than usual so you need to show different sides of characters. So just because you want to flesh out a character a little more doesnt mean they are going to be killed off. Stannis will definitely make it through s5, and probably s6, but people have kept on going of Stannis is going to die and guess what he is still going and dont see that changing for a long time.

There is a scene after the blackwater defeat, Melissandre says to Stannis something along the lines of 'you will betray your men, your family... you will betray everything you once held dear but it all be worth it...'

In this scene his daugther seems to be very dear to him... :uhoh:

I don't hate Stannis, but I find him to be completely uninteresting so I'll be mad if he's the one to "win" the Iron Throne. I actually agree with what Renly Baratheon said about his personality back in season one.

That scene was great, anyway.

I don't hate Stannis, but I find him to be completely uninteresting so I'll be mad if he's the one to "win" the Iron Throne. I actually agree with what Renly Baratheon said about his personality back in season one.

That scene was great, anyway.

I highly doubt the newly freed Colonies wanted George Washington to be their leader because he was "interesting"

But I guess I can understand. I find Dany bland and annoying... which is why I don't want her to be queen... And because Stannis is the one true king... :bowdown:

And besides, a King doesn't need friends, just servants and subjects.

Archived