[Book Spoilers] Theon - I talk to the trees but they don't listen to me

jet199

Bloodraven does say that, and yet we see twice (with Ned and Theon) that Bran may be able to (although probably not enough to communicate effectively). I always thought that this was to hint that Bran may be a more powerful greenseer.

I think that Bran may be the most powerful greenseer of all time. This kid is very special and I do not think the show will mess with that. He is being groomed as the next in line of the old Gods. Also, I think when Bloodraven tells him "although the hour is late" it has a double meaning. The Others are comming and he is dying as even the Greenseers cannot live forever. I also think part of the Greenseer of the Gods is also responsible for identifying their eventual successor and guiding them to there to be trained for replacing them. There have been a lot of First Men and Starks taking the Black. I wonder how many have simply slipped away to find that cave and tree because they were "called" to take someone's place?

Bloodraven does say that, and yet we see twice (with Ned and Theon) that Bran may be able to (although probably not enough to communicate effectively). I always thought that this was to hint that Bran may be a more powerful greenseer.

More like a feeling that Theon got. There has to be some limitations otherwise you end up with questions like why doesn't he warn Ned? I don't know. Like I said, it's tricky, and we don't know where George is going with this. But I do want the scene as much as you guys do as well.

Have you seen Interstellar? Sometimes when you warn people you drive them in the wrong direction or they don't understand.

It is worth looking back and checking if there are communications in the godswoods and in dreams. I certainly believe that Ned has tried to communicate with Arya through the trees after he died and Lyanna often appears with tears of blood, like a weirwood, and even turns up in one of Theon's predictive dreams. I will have a check through Ned's chapters and see if there are any warnings.

There was a fight about the series finale?

Sorry, should have been clearer: Not the finale itself, but he showed up with the scripts for season 5 and the execs were stunned that he wrote an ending even though they hadn't asked for one. I wish I could find the news article about it, it's buried in the internets somewhere. I'm guessing it was something along the lines of:

Alan Ball: "Here we go, Six Feet Under, season 5."

HBO Execs: *read* "That was an unexpected loss. Wait. Why is there a series finale?"

Alan Ball: "That's it. That's the whole story."

HBO Execs: "No no no, you can lose the original protagonist and reveal a new one but you can't end it."

*fight ensues*

HBO Execs: "Fine, let's turn those Sookie Stackhouse books into a show. Vampires are hot right now."

Yep, Bloodraven and the CotF are wrong. Bran can talk through the trees and we see him do it. You should believe what you are shown over what characters say.

This. Bran definitely spoke through the tree. The wedding was mainly through the Sansa/Bolton point of view and Theon was an aside after his little speech. I hope maybe they revisit the scene in season 6 so we can hear Bran nudging him. Or, at least, they filmed an alternate angle for him to watch it from the Weirnet and catch something everyone missed.

I really hope so. I love the Bran story line. I can understand why a lot of it isn't in the books because it just isn't "exciting" for TV but I really hope they don't leave that out, but at how this season has been, it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

If they were to do the tree talking then the only way they could do it without it looking too cheap and ridiculous is to mix the words being whispered in with the sound of wind blowing but only at a very subtle level. I have no faith in them including this though.

They could do something like Bran's vision at the weirwood last season. Theon touches the Heart Tree, sees the 3 eyed crow in the crypts, glimpses Leaf laughing eerily, sees Bran's face on a weirwood, asks if he is reek or theon in the darkness with vision-tree, and hears the tree whisper "Theon."

They could do something like Bran's vision at the weirwood last season. Theon touches the Heart Tree, sees the 3 eyed crow in the crypts, glimpses Leaf laughing eerily, sees Bran's face on a weirwood, asks if he is reek or theon in the darkness with vision-tree, and hears the tree whisper "Theon."

I hope they show that.

So all the crap with avenging Renly, fulfilling her oaths, etc. just goes out the door? If anyone gets flayed this episode my guess is the old woman who talked to Sansa or the old man who talked to Brienne. For Brienne and Pod to die without really doing anything this season would be lame.

My guess is that it might be the old woman as well - Sansa thinking she can light the candle, and then she is caught and gets shown the flayed old woman, hence her tears and thinking she can't escape... remember, Ramsay dropped the "The North Remembers" line at the uncomfortable dinner a few episodes back.

I'm not getting my hopes up or putting any faith in D+D to deliver this scene, any and every time we have I believe we have just been let down or underwhelmed. Would be awesome if it happened though.

:agree:

There are a lot of moments from the book that I'm not expecting to see on the show. As soon as there was no "Edd, fetch me a block.", I figured there won't be anything else.

Don't count on them keeping "For the watch " in the show, as they'll likely change it to , "For my parents!" because it'll be Olly. Ugh.

So many people expected Theon to snap last episode it would be interesting if, at first, rather than have him acting or plotting they have him begging for death. Then get him to turn it around and start being useful.

I think Brie finding him is a good idea. Especially as I am currently sold on the old woman/candle in the tower thing is a trap theory. I would be a lot happier if I could see Brienne interacting with Theon or Sansa in person.

Maybe it goes down like this.

Sansa asks Theon for help

Theon tells Sansa she needs to please Ramsay and do what he wants (like he tells Jeyne in the books)

Sansa brushes him off and tells him "I still have friends in the North"

Sansa goes to light a candle in the tower

It's a trap, Ramsay is there, tells Sansa she will never escape (Ahhhh!)

Theon, distraught, goes to the heart tree and asks to die

Bran says his name

Brienne turns up and demands he helps her rescue Sansa

I probably shouldn't have come to this thread and read this because there's no way it could go down this perfect. Now I'll be disappointed if all of this doesn't happen.

But you didn't factor in Miranda. Where does she fit in this?

Brienne's been way more prominent than Barristan in the show. It's not even close. Barristan got to deliver more exposition about the Mad King to Dany and got a big fight scene before he went out -- Brienne hasn't really done anything this season yet so to just up and kill her would seem to defeat the entire purpose of her heading North. Not to mention the fact that they've been beating us over the head with her desire to kill Stannis.

No more than they beat us over the head with Arya killing The Mountain etc.

I was thinking this also. Hopefully he will confess to the tree and Sansa just overhears it.

She'll could have the spearwife role in that scene. Sansa asks who Theon is talking to and Theon then admits the truth.

The season is rapidly approaching an end, this episode, 7, had Theon still failing but he wont again. He will be reached and confess. Sansa confronts and old friend. Theon will come back in episode 8, setting up something in the final 2.

Yeah, they had to show Theon failing.

In the books he thinks about betraying fArya and the spearwives a lot but on TV they actually have to show him doing it for the audience to get that he ain't a natural hero.

Archived