Is it time to start having that conversation? SPOILERS! book & show

GtrGbln

Aegon appears in book 5. Therefore he is a red herring. There was never any possibility he is going to survive. It isn't likely he is genuine either.

Quentyn appears in book 5. Is he a red herring?

Aegon's appearance was set up in book 1. And anyway, the definition of red herring is not "shows up late in the game."

I agree that he's not going to survive but he could still be Rhaegar's son. If he is a red herring, he's a red herring for the actual Blackfyre claimant. There's been too much talk about the Blackfyres in the series for one not to appear. If there is no final Blackfyre claimant, then a lot of ink was wasted on them. And Aegon isn't a good red herring for anything else.

It definitely aired after the seduction scene in Episode 4. It was released on May 4, the episode aired May 3. Not sure about when it was conducted, but I don't think it matters since Clarice specifically says that there is an 'even bigger scene after episode 4'. She actually says "Season 4", but she clearly meant "episode 4" given the context.

She makes it pretty clear that there are at least 2 big scenes between her and Jon Snow this season, and we've only gotten one of them.

Now that, if anything, is the greater spoiler. Why would the show contrive to put Melisandre back at the wall after they already had her leave? Unless...

Maybe she's not the one to resurrect Jon Snow, but why are two scenes between them necessary to begin with? Why is she so interested in him? Unless...

I know its poor form to use the show as evidence but am I the only one who noticed that Mel is leaving the wall with Stannis? Normally I would be like whatevs show deviation but it seems like many people are counting on her to resurrect Jon. The problem is in the books she never met Thoros or heard about how he was able to save first Beric and then Catelyn. So Mel in show leaves + Mel in book doesn't know about resurrection = holes in a lot of theories. Like I said its just show stuff so who knows if its important. But what if Jon Snow and the R+L=J thing while still true is the biggest red herring in this series? Despite what people think it is and has always been a real possibility. If Aegon turns out to be genuine I'll forced to conclude that this is bad news... for Jon Snow.

Yeah and before someone links to the MTV interview with Carice I am aware of it and its from before Mel and Jon had their little near miss in Jon's chambers so it doesn't really prove anything.

/Flame on

I know you're connecting show to book somewhat here. But show has cut Aegon out entirely (so far). Which more suggests Aegon is irrelevant for the purposes of the book (3 dragon riders) and is indeed a fake Targaryen as surmised by many people.

... There's been too much talk about the Blackfyres in the series for one not to appear. If there is no final Blackfyre claimant, then a lot of ink was wasted on them..

Too many pixels wasted on the forums, maybe, but Blackfyre's aren't mentioned at all in the books till midway through ASOS, and even then only a couple of times, literally once in AFFC, & then a few times in ADWD, which is such a sprawling mess that a really hefty slice of the content just has to be irrelevant. If Blackfyre's weren't mentioned a single further time in the books I doubt that even a couple of percent of readers would even notice, never mind object.

Wait what? We did? That is genuine news for me, and I remember quite a few theories about Jon's survival/resurrection/or compatible.

Sure there are a million resurrection theories. Jon escapes into ghost. They bring find Stannis frozen and thaw him out. Mel finds jons stong spirit in ghost and resurrects into Stannis body. Mels visions are good.....they are just cloudy and like 70% right. This would tie her prophecy neatly. Heck she has been trying to prop up stannis for a while and hes been lacking. Remember that Jon asks Mel if she see Stannis in flames. Off course when Mel looks she is searching for Azor Ahai and only sees 'Snow'

Jon is going to die, people!

I never expected Melisandre would resurrect Jon. Neither do I believe R'hllor resurrected Dondarrion upon Thoros prayer (Thoros is a joke of a priest). The resurrection was the will of the Stranger, also named the Lion of Night. To punish the "wickedness of men". Cat is now a maidservant of the Stranger, really a Silent Sister.

Either Jon is not dead, or he will be resurrected, but not by Melisandre. However,

I agree that Melisandre leaving the Wall is a major deviation, whatever her purpose is in the books. It is not an evidence that her purpose in the books is minor. Only that HBO is deviating severely.

After all Mel's warnings about the "enemies" - the wooden face, corpse white with a thousand red eyes, accompanied by a boy with a wolf’s face - I'd much prefer it if Jon were somehow resurrected by B-rave n' Bran. Pleasantly ironic when you consider that he might be AAR.

Archived