Careerchat

Inigima

7 hours ago, Datepalm said:

So the value of a Harvard (et al,) education here is essentially to function as a first set of eyes over a pile of resumes for the eventual employer? I mean, it doesn't matter how or what one does AT Harvard (et al,) just having been accepted marks one as a good prospect for life, as the "hiring" mechanism of an elite MBA (or whatever) program has been honed to a level of precision and sophistication that eventual employer has no incentive not to simply use as-is?

ETA - My point, and the part that bothers me here, is not so much the elitism or funneling mechanism, as the emphasis on where over what. Fitness for these jobs, at least according to the discussion here, appears to be less centered on what actual skills someone has (due to, say, having gone to school and learned MBAing) as simply the kind of person someone is, which is helpfully defined as "the kind of person who can get into one of these seven - and no other - programs"  which one goes to (a particular) school to get rubberstamped.

I genuinely see the logic of the system and I see why it's effective. I don't even find it particularly unfair - It just seems like a slightly perverse inversion of what I still somehow perceive the function of education to be, but clearly isn't quite at that level.

The level of knowledge and insight imparted in an MBA, even at the best programs, is nothing earth-shattering.  It is actually disappointing how little intellectual rigor is required for most classes.  There are no magical insights.  It's basically a multi-disciplinary approach to being able to evaluate a business from many angles and having a good understanding of how to improve it.  And they try to inculcate some sense of good judgment through endless case studies with Socratic discussion.  This is valuable for most people who start their career in some specific role and need to broaden their knowledge for a leadership role.  The kind of people who choose to do an MBA probably have the kind of broad thinking and desire/willingness to take charge and make decisions that they could learn 60-80% of it from a MOOC format, which is what will replace most of the lowest tier business schools within a decade. 

Most full-time MBA students are quite young and inexperienced, so they haven't lived though many of the concepts yet and it's viewed as a fast track to change career to finance or consulting.  But most part-time or executive MBA students already have a pretty good experience base and want to sharpen what they've previously done by instinct. 

On 20/04/2016 at 2:34 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

I had an interview today and think it went okay! She is letting whoever is successful know on friday morning as they want them to start working next week. I only need to give a 1 week notice at my current job and I am actually on holiday next week. So would that week count as my one week notice if I gave in my notice friday afternoon/saturday morning?? Would I just...not need to go in after that???

I think giving your entire notice period as leave is something that it's fine to do if you hate the job, have no respect whatsoever for your employers and basically cannot get out of there fast enough. It's a bridge-burning move in other words.

On 4/16/2016 at 5:17 PM, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

No, I has a terrible panic attack during training and wound up being hospitalized for two days. 

I hope you are doing better now.

Re: EMT training. I would examine closely why you had a career-ending panic attack. Because EMT training and actual job experience will involve many of the same stressors as law enforcement. Also, examine why EMT training looks appealing, because even if that ends up not being a good choice for you, you can still find another field that provides some of that without the downsides. Good luck.

23 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

People still ask that question?!

If someone ever does that to me in an interview, I'm just going to respond: I'm an asshole. But I'm the most talented asshole you'll ever employ.

Sometimes. I just have a whole list of stupid ass questions and that is one of them.  I am trying to find ways of making that answer fit other questions as well, since dealing with our trade desk and investors is a big part of the job and I want to use that to show I can do it. (confident and effective communication (or something close to that) is one of the key skills they want.

In my last interview, I was asked about when someone was upset with me, and since I couldn't think of one, I  responded that my husband gets upset when I don't wear matching socks. :rolleyes:  (Then gave the answer about when I was upset about unfair evaluation standards, and how I did this awesome thing because of it blah blah blah)

It's driving me insane really.  Why can't we just discuss my career and my skills strait up?

15 hours ago, MercifulChief said:

I like the 'tell me about a challenge and how you overcame it.'

every motherfucking day, motherfucker.  

I hear ya.  It is a major effort to get myself out of the house every morning.

1 hour ago, Hereward said:

I have a job interview this afternoon. Finally. Wish me luck. Unless you live in DC, because I'd be moving there if I get it.

Good luck!

According to my boss, mine should get scheduled today.

Archived