[Book Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Repercussion

Chebyshov

I just want to know what NCW did to piss off the showrunners - two season ago, Jaime gets the brilliant monologue in the bathtub and a Big Damn Hero moment in the bearpit and this season, he's just the vehicle to get Bronn to Dorne! They've cut every single moment of Jaime being clever and strategic or in any way interesting in favor of his being a very handsome waste of space.

D&D like pranking actors with fake scripts and shit. But apparently, before production for season 3 began, Coster-Waldau called them and said that he shaved of all his hair and D&D were panicking.

She is unnatrurally perceptive. Moreso than almost anyone. That doesn't make her intuitive or intelligent, and it certainly does not make her logical.

It just seemed odd to me. She's been extremely good at guiding and manipulating Stannis up until this point. The sacrifice of Shireen is something she's known would probably have to happen for some time, and yet when the moment comes she just kind of blurts it out. I do think she has been shown to be intuitive and intelligent in the past. Maybe she was being overconfident in her sway over Stannis and thought he wouldn't be so stubborn. At the same time, it's his kid. She had to know that it wouldn't be easy. I think the scene just needed another minute or so of her leading up to the topic instead of springing it on him.

Anyone else notice that Jaime's golden hand came to life in Dorne? You can see his fingers moving at least twice during his scene with Myrcella

I was super confused about that too. Apparently they have advanced cybernetic technology in westeros. Who knew?

I'm still trying to figure out why sand snake # 3 bothered poisoning Bronn just to give him the antidote. Because he complimented her bewbs? Or his amazing rendition of The Dornishman's Wife? Just for funsies?

Tyrion kicking the slaver's ass to prove his combat skills. That made much more sense than announcing that he's literate and able to do math, so that he could prove his value as a scribe or steward.

Stannis getting hot and bothered over Melisandre bending over a map. Big eye roll for that one.

Gilly's almost rape. I'm not a raging feminist that gets mad over every rape scene, but D&D are really one trick ponies here. Maybe someone should tell them that there are other plot devices besides rape.

The deeper we get into this season, the more I appreciate Ding & Dong's brilliance in including - opening the season, in fact - with Cersei's flashback. It's really been very important to her so far, even though they cut out the most important part, with the valonqar. The Tower of Joy? Eh. The actual House of the Undying? Whatevs. I'm so glad we found out that Cersei would have three blonde kids and be replaced by a younger, prettier girl. That is brand new information!

Also, Balon still isn't dead.

This was especially funny to me, because I'm rereading ASOS right now and recently passed the part where Stannis, Mel, and Davos all have the "Two is not three conversation." after Balon and Robb are announced dead. It was the linchpin of the argument to not burn Edric Storm, who Stannis has a hard enough time agreeing to burn even though he's just Robert's bastard son. I kept waiting for:

Stannis: Two isn't three. What about Balon Greyjoy?

Mel: Who?

Stannis: Balon Greyjoy! King of the Iron Islands?

Mel: The whosit of the what now?

Stannis: Oh, for fuck's sake.

Mel: Yeah, sorry. Totally forgot about that dude.

I was super confused about that too. Apparently they have advanced cybernetic technology in westeros. Who knew?

I'm still trying to figure out why sand snake # 3 bothered poisoning Bronn just to give him the antidote. Because he complimented her bewbs? Or his amazing rendition of The Dornishman's Wife? Just for funsies?

Tyrion kicking the slaver's ass to prove his combat skills. That made much more sense than announcing that he's literate and able to do math, so that he could prove his value as a scribe or steward.

Stannis getting hot and bothered over Melisandre bending over a map. Big eye roll for that one.

Gilly's almost rape. I'm not a raging feminist that gets mad over every rape scene, but D&D are really one trick ponies here. Maybe someone should tell them that there are other plot devices besides rape.

^^This.

I guess the slaver never did end up finding that cock merchant, huh? It's a seasonal industry, I guess. But having Tyrion try to pass himself off as a pit fighter and having someone believe him? A scribe or steward would have been more believable. I even would have bought it had the buyer been like, "Well, obviously you can't fight for shit, but you made me laugh, so you're going to be my jester now." Then they could have had the added humiliation of having him in motley or something. It really seemed that since D&D knew that Tyrion and Jorah would only be in their owner's possession for like five minutes that they didn't try very hard to find a plausible reason for Tyrion to be bought, too.

^^This.

I guess the slaver never did end up finding that cock merchant, huh? It's a seasonal industry, I guess. But having Tyrion try to pass himself off as a pit fighter and having someone believe him? A scribe or steward would have been more believable. I even would have bought it had the buyer been like, "Well, obviously you can't fight for shit, but you made me laugh, so you're going to be my jester now." Then they could have had the added humiliation of having him in motley or something. It really seemed that since D&D knew that Tyrion and Jorah would only be in their owner's possession for like five minutes that they didn't try very hard to find a plausible reason for Tyrion to be bought, too.

When he started cracking jokes, I thought that they were going to go the jester route, which also would have made perfect sense, especially since dwarves in westeros often would survive by playing that role, a la Penny. But then he started beating the shit out of some dude with a chain LOL. Makes no sense.

^^This.

It was a funny scene regardless. Also the slaver holding him back was scrawny and it's not like Tyrion can't kick ass when he gets the jump on you. Remember that dude he be-legged during Blackwater, and the shield kill from season 1?

It was a funny scene regardless. Also the slaver holding him back was scrawny and it's not like Tyrion can't kick ass when he gets the jump on you. Remember that dude he be-legged during Blackwater, and the shield kill from season 1?

It was funny, it just didn't make much sense to me. I don't think Tyrion is a complete weakling or anything, but that slaver was like season 1 Sam levels of incompetent. He just curled into a ball. Really I have an issue with it being a convincing enough reason for the guy to buy Tyrion. It wasn't fighting pit strength, and it was the kind of violent disobedience that is one of the least desirable traits in a slave. It's just weird to me because there were several other more plausible qualities they could have used to get him purchased (his intellect, his sense of humor, even him being a good luck token) but they went with the one that is least well established or believable.

A lot of things feel quite underwhelming, in particular Aemon's death and Sam/Gilly's love scene. I also find that the writing so often feel too modern. The Queen of Thorns and the High Sparrow's verbal sparring being a fresh example.

I felt Aemon's death was overwrought when it should have been a sad, still moment.

The modern feel is a consequence of their running out of GRRM dialogue to borrow, I think. They don't know how to write it themselves so it's becoming 'modern TV exec dialogue' instead of 'pseudo-medieval dialogue written by a massive history dork'.

A lot of things feel quite underwhelming, in particular Aemon's death and Sam/Gilly's love scene. I also find that the writing so often feel too modern. The Queen of Thorns and the High Sparrow's verbal sparring being a fresh example.

The QoT sounds especially modern in a very weird way. I get that none of the characters are speaking actual Middle English or anything, but in two consecutive episodes they've had her use slang terms for gay people that are really modern, comparatively speaking. "Pillow-biter" was coined in 1979 and "ponce" though dating from 1872, wasn't used to describe gay people until the 1930s. It's a small thing, but it takes me out of some of her scenes.

Things I didn't like:

- Tyrion beating that guy with the chain. What happened to the guy who used to *talk* his way out of trouble?

- Olenna and Littlefinger. He confessed Cersei got him to screw Loras and Margaery over, and they'll still be screwed even if Cersei gets screwed as well, funny as it may be.

- The High Sparrow's we're the 99% bullshit.

- Everything Winterfell, everything from Brienne soulfully gazing in the distance like fucking snow Batman, to yet another pail of shit being thrown at Sansa, to her being raped and beaten every night.

- Gilly almost getting raped. Jeez, D&D can't be more of a one-trick pony, can they?

- I have mixed feelings about Dorne. On the one hand, the sexposition made it seem almost like season one. On the other, it was such a meh scene, but I'll take that over Obara's life story every time (and her meditating is super lame)

Yes, for a second there I thought they were going to get Gilly raped too. But I guess she didn't need further empowerment, she's a wildling... Sam, on the other hand, is starting to annoy me. He could use some empowerment. Maybe a bit of rape would help?...

Bronn: 'Yes, yes, you have the best boobs in the Seven Kingdoms, now give me the fucking antidote already!' Seriously, how old is the intern who writes this shit?

So Sansa does want to light the candle? Why not do that prior to getting raped?

Maybe at season'send it won't be explotative and maybe she won't just be a piece in Theon's character arc, but either way, she comes off as very dumb in this episode.

And why didn't Ramsay fly off the handle when Sansa called him a bastard? It annoys me that there's enough of bookRamsay in him to rape Sansa, but not enough to stop her running her mouth in a way which would get her tortured horribly in the books.

And Dorne? And Gilly almost getting raped? Come on.

The show is really in the doldrums right now.

It was funny, it just didn't make much sense to me. I don't think Tyrion is a complete weakling or anything, but that slaver was like season 1 Sam levels of incompetent. He just curled into a ball. Really I have an issue with it being a convincing enough reason for the guy to buy Tyrion. It wasn't fighting pit strength, and it was the kind of violent disobedience that is one of the least desirable traits in a slave. It's just weird to me because there were several other more plausible qualities they could have used to get him purchased (his intellect, his sense of humor, even him being a good luck token) but they went with the one that is least well established or believable.

"You're right.. he is funny."

Tyrion's as much entertainment as he is fodder for the pit fights. Works well enough for me. The whole situation only lasted a few minutes anyway so it isn't worth getting too nuts over. It was just a way to get Tyrion from point A to B.

A note:

Folks may notice that lately these threads are ended up getting deleted. This is because people are descending into various things we explictly forbid: personal insults chief among them. Stick to the topic, discuss the show and not one another, and these threads will continue.

Archived