[Book Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Repercussion

Chebyshov

Last episode Arya guided someone to drink poison water in the House of Black and White.

That an episode was titled "The Gift", it was clearly intended to include that scene, as the Gift of Mercy is at least as important as Jorah's gift of Tyrion. They were meant to coincide.

They didn't coincide. And the lazy fuck head writers didn't bother to rename the episode when its meaning got blown into shit.

Probably hanging with Balon.

And Northern lords, at the Twins probably with Walder Frey, man who is suspiciously absent from all the political maneuvering of LF, Stannis and even fucking Roose Bolton who is his ally and son in law

They seem to be really obsessed with it. Im beginning to think people are right when they say D&D hate women with a passion.

Internalised mysoginy. There's no other explanation for it, when they cut great female characters like Dacey and Maege Mormont, when they cut Arianne Martell, only to keep bloody Trystane in, and when they ruin Asha's (Yara!) storyline completely, and make Brienne stupid and Sansa the victim of yet another rapist... I want to see She-Bears! Alysane! :bawl: And Mya! and Elia Sand, even Alys Karstark and Val, and Wylla Manderly! the best female characters are cut from the show, and the ones that get a chance to play are either raped, act silly or flash their breasts. Like Melisandre. Was a character ever that over sexualized?

on another note, what bothers me most about the dornish story line, besides the lack of Arianne, and the silliness of Ellaria's plot, is how very not tanned the dornish are. Serious lack of realism, there. I don't want to get into the debate that Oberyn was miscast, in my eyes he wasn't, because that's how I saw the dornish - sort of mediterranean. And Pedro Pascal was perfect anyway ;) So the main actors are okay, they look mediterranean, but the rest of them? It's so silly. They are dressed in desert clothes, the sun is meant to be burning hot, and they are whiter than southern french people in summer. That does not make it look authentic, like at all. I don't believe it one bit. Could the make up crew not have faked tanned the lot of them? At least?

And the costumes! Obara should wear the same sort of armor as Oberyn did, not that ridiculous breast thingy. Brienne wears normal armor, why can't Obara? And the other costumes seem inspired middle-eastern/north african... It's like they are trying to sell us the dornish as being sort of arabic, when their culture is nothing like it! And dorne is a fantasy land either way! It was the same with the dothraki, the sort of syncretism between modern cultures and traditional cultures (lap dancing on african drums, LMOL! Not, it's so sad.) is so ridiculous that it makes you cringe, and think about all these very old prejudice about 'savages' and 'primitive tribes'. Colonialims is long over, for f*cks sake.

There's a sad lack of silver haired people, too. Where is Aurane Waters? Darkstar? Where are the Lysene? The ones that look like Dany and make you understand that Dany is not so out of place, in Essos, her homeland!

And the sparrows and Faith Militants! that was a good story line in the books, it was realistic in the books. And were they ever so needlessly violent? smashing things left and right for fun? I feel that I'm looking at a badly made political statement in reference to the current mess going on in the eastern world...

And the cheesiness of it! Stannis and Shireen. I didn't like that scene, I know, not the right episode, but it had to be said. Myrcella and Jaime, Myrcella and Trystane! Sam and Gilly! And what are they doing to Jaime? It makes no sense to send him to dorne on a secret mission!

And no starving, dying refugees either. Jon's command in Season 5 is so damn lackluster when compared to his revolutionary lead in ADwD. But you're expecting too much you entitled bastard. How dare you demand consistency.

Like how Stannis absolutely needed the Wildings though then decided he could march without them, beat Bolton, rally the North and SOMEHOW win the throne. Consistency is a ridiculous expectation!

The whole threat beyond the Wall basically seems to have been forgotten. Even Stannis didn't seem particularly intrigued until half-way through the season, and even then only for a scene or two. I do miss Jon grappling with the complexities of leadership and his growing isolation and depression. Kit Harrington really doesn't have much to work with in these scripts. Everything feels...lesser in my mind. It feels quite bland and often dull.

I think it's clear that some major story concessions have been made around Tyrion's character and that pisses me off - not because it's a deviation from the books but because the show is trying to be PC or something. We can't have a dwarf that people like dehumanized too much, kind of thing and even when he's in chains, he has to beat up his slavers. Show is pulling it's punches totally in regard to Tyrion.

Tyrion has basically never been like his book counterpart. From the early chapters in A Game of Thrones you get insight into the darker territory of Tyrion's personality. He bullies a fourteen year old boy to tears and breaks the fingers of a singer for poking fun at him. As the books progress, and Tyrion's experiences become more negative, he grows more embittered and begins to commit even greater evils.

They've been pulling that material out since the very first episode. Now, to me, it feels as though Dinklage has been turning in the same performance since the second season - good, funny, but not very interesting now. If anything Tyrion's become something of a Nice Guy champion: respectful, restrained, well-meaning, but totally victimized and misunderstood. He would never rape a woman, instead he'll talk about how he would like to make love to her, but cannot, as he is still hurting. Jorah's gone a similar route. Where is the obsessive man from the books? The one who, you know, was actually sleeping with those Dany look-a-likes instead of being outraged by other men leering at her? Even his depression during the slaver episode and the news of Dany's marriage is being cut (I think?). He gets to be a hero, not a fragmented shell of a man who is so beaten down and emotionally injured, he can't even fight anymore. They make these characters less interesting with every change.

It's a peculiar choice. I'd compare it to creating a work like The Godfather only keeping Michael as the innocent, smart, relate-able member of the family, instead of following him into a horrible, terrible emotional place where he destroys his own life and loves. I think as long as they're shocking us with black-hearted villains (Ramsay) tormenting innocents (Sansa) they'll be happy to go through with it. This world is dark and gloomy and evil, and awful things happen to nice people. That's the message they're comfortable getting across. But when it comes to exploring the evil or flawed side of sympathetic protagonists? They're out. :dunno:

I didn't watch this episode but people have been talking to be that Mel brought up burning Shireen. But isn't that a bit early? They know whats beyond the wall and they want to waste her king blood on the Bolton's? The Bolton's might be powerful within the context of the north currently but they're nothing compared to whats beyond the wall. It seems much too early.

So Sansa is big enough that she should be able to push around Theon and Ramsay both, but Tyrion the dwarf, who is chained, can still beat up his jailer.

Ok.

I'm getting so tired with the tits galore.

Because's she so badly out of character. I think Julia Martell started this, not sure. Or Chebblahblahbah (I can't remember anything past "Cheb").

This has been done to DOZENS of characters. Jaime is Larry the Plotslayer for example, and Daenerys is Deadpan Stormborn.

😕. Learn your Russian mathematicians, yo.

Re:Carol, it's all in the Book Snob's Glossary that Julia Martell and I co-wrote, though I do believe she coined "Carol" first: http://theculturalvacuum.tumblr.com/post/116816249708/the-book-snob-glossary

Last episode Arya guided someone to drink poison water in the House of Black and White.

That an episode was titled "The Gift", it was clearly intended to include that scene, as the Gift of Mercy is at least as important as Jorah's gift of Tyrion. They were meant to coincide.

They didn't coincide. And the lazy fuck head writers didn't bother to rename the episode when its meaning got blown into shit.

Yep. episode title in no way connected to all the other gifts in the episode...

I'd go out on a limb and say that Selyse takes the initiative to burn Shireen. That way it keeps Stannis "Stannisy"...gets the job done and probably explains Selyse on the ground in tears from that trailer. At the last minute she regrets her decision, paint by numbers plot...yada yada.

There's a reason these guys waste all this time foreshadowing events.

I guess they couldn't resist the really distasteful title we got last week. Still not over that.

Tyrion has basically never been like his book counterpart. From the early chapters in A Game of Thrones you get insight into the darker territory of Tyrion's personality. He bullies a fourteen year old boy to tears and breaks the fingers of a singer for poking fun at him. As the books progress, and Tyrion's experiences become more negative, he grows more embittered and begins to commit even greater evils.

They've been pulling that material out since the very first episode. Now, to me, it feels as though Dinklage has been turning in the same performance since the second season - good, funny, but not very interesting now. If anything Tyrion's become something of a Nice Guy champion: respectful, restrained, well-meaning, but totally victimized and misunderstood. He would never rape a woman, instead he'll talk about how he would like to make love to her, but cannot, as he is still hurting. Jorah's gone a similar route. Where is the obsessive man from the books? The one who, you know, was actually sleeping with those Dany look-a-likes instead of being outraged by other men leering at her? Even his depression during the slaver episode and the news of Dany's marriage is being cut (I think?). He gets to be a hero, not a fragmented shell of a man who is so beaten down and emotionally injured, he can't even fight anymore. They make these characters less interesting with every change.

It's a peculiar choice. I'd compare it to creating a work like The Godfather only keeping Michael as the innocent, smart, relate-able member of the family, instead of following him into a horrible, terrible emotional place where he destroys his own life and loves. I think as long as they're shocking us with black-hearted villains (Ramsay) tormenting innocents (Sansa) they'll be happy to go through with it. This world is dark and gloomy and evil, and awful things happen to nice people. That's the message they're comfortable getting across. But when it comes to exploring the evil or flawed side of sympathetic protagonists? They're out. :dunno:

I would agree with this. I keep thinking it's because, where the book is showing the slow dehumanization and corruption of certain characters, like Tyrion, Jorah and Dany, the show is trying to hold off and surprise us closer to the end.

But I'm not so sure with Tyrion - it does feel like a very specific kind of favoritism, how they keep inventing these heroic and cool things for him to do, like beating up slavers.

I just want to say thank you to all you noble hearted people, who are selflessly still watching this drivel and writing about it, so those of us who are not strong enough to sit through it, can know what happens.

You are all heroes. :bowdown:

hahah. So true!

As I gave up on the show after last season, fully expecting the mess that the show delivered this season, it has been great to follow it through the thoughts of those brave enough to still put up with the show.

Actually judging on how badly this season has been done, I'd say reading everyone's thoughts on it has been more entertaining than the episodes themselves.

I just want to say thank you to all you noble hearted people, who are selflessly still watching this drivel and writing about it, so those of us who are not strong enough to sit through it, can know what happens.

You are all heroes. :bowdown:

:agree:

thank you so much :)

Can I just put that I'm still pissed at the Brienne and Hound meeting from way back? :laugh: Every episode I watch now I'm trying to deduce the changes from the books and they're driving me crazy. Brienne and Jaime were supposed to share a connecting storyline but nooooooo. :bang: The character lines that haven't pissed me off so far are Tyrion's, Dany's, Cersei's and Ayra's that follow (somewhat) closer to the books. I needed this small rant.

The Dorne story line, just wow, what can I say. I think I'm gonna start calling it Dornish Girls Gone Wild.

Welcome to Winterhell, where Sansa's storyline has come full circle in stupidity! Now that she's being raped and beaten nightly, she's finally realized that maybe marrying the family who murdered her family and all their followers wasn't such a grand idea, after all - REVENGE notwithstanding! Seriously, when she begs Theon for help, one of the things she says is that "they betrayed my family!" Yes...yes they did...so why did you leave the safety of the Vale and offer yourself up to them, then? As if it all weren't dumb enough, instead of reaching out to the Northern Popular Front - or is it the People's Front of the North? - directly, she needlessly jeopardizes her escape by having the unstable, unreliable Reek place the candle in the tower. As a result, Reek rats her out and Granny Remembers gets flayed. Whatever, she was a stupid substitute for the North Lords, anyway. Seriously, this candle in the tower is more trouble than it's worth. Meanwhile, Brienne stands conspicuously in plain sight of Winterhell, waiting for the signal to BRIENNE SMASH.

The Sansa Marriage Strike is going to be devastating on the Boltons. Just you wait and see. BatFinger just set a delayed fuse that's all. And just wait until BatFinger marries Sansa off to Carol. Carol is gonna get it good. After Sansa is tortured a little bit by Carol, of course, just to make sure that Sansa is really mad and motivated when she takes Carol down.

But, seriously, Winterhell, that's a good way to describe it.

Archived