Pycelle

Ser Grimes

Ewhhhh. You don't think Cersei slept with pycelle? I now have a whole new outlook on ASOIAF.

I guess it's very likely. He was loyal to her, he does sleep with women (more specifically whores) and Cersei had been known to prostitute herself in return for service.

I don't think that's what ser joe meant,lol

Ewhhhh. You don't think Cersei slept with pycelle? I now have a whole new outlook on ASOIAF.

I guess it's very likely. He was loyal to her, he does sleep with women (more specifically whores) and Cersei had been known to prostitute herself in return for service.

Cersei doesn't do this until she loses Jaime. So, no, Cersei/Pycelle is not a thing.

Cersei doesn't do this until she loses Jaime. So, no, Cersei/Pycelle is not a thing.

Okay good, that's a relief.

But I don't buy into the Cersei didn't sleep with anyone else until jaime left her. Cersei admitted herself that she's lied to jaime a thousand times.

Edit - and the lying was obviously about sleeping with other men. How could she lie to him if he wasn't there. And especially a thousand times.

Not explicitly, but isn't it hinted that she has done it before? I honestly can't remember. She does offer herself to Ned, and that's certainly before "losing Jaime".

That said, no, Cersei/Pycelle would not have been a thing at any point.

Possible. Or a Westerlander, at any rate. There's a simpler answer though: Pycelle served as Grand Maester under Aerys. He saw first-hand how the young Tywin held the realm together under a King that was gradually losing his grasp on reality, and he saw the realm descend into war and chaos after Tywin's dismissal. Of course he also saw Tywin Lannister's host brutally sack King's Landing, but no-one ever accused Pycelle of an over-abundance of objectivity.

It could be that. But it just doesn't sit right with me. I mean, he's a Lannister fanboy on level par with Twilight girls.

It could be that. But it just doesn't sit right with me. I mean, he's a Lannister fanboy on level par with Twilight girls.

Is he?

He's a fan of Tywins after working with him for 20 years on the Small Council. I bet if you were to ask Maesters Luwin and Cressen who they wanted to be King they would answer the Lords (Ned and Stannis) who they were most familiar with and who they thought were most competent.

I must say it's good to see that there are at least a few people around who can look at Pycelle without immediately shouting "LANNISTER FANBOY".

After Pycelle had been a member of the Tywin-lead small council for two years he said this:

The gods made and shaped this man to rule.

So it seems that either Tywin made a good impression on him fairly early on, or you can be in the other school and claim that Tywin surely got him dozens of whores and gave money and was actually his secret brother. Up to you.

Also one should remember Pycelle has been a maester forever. He forged his chain during Maekar and was named Grand Maester at a young age by Aegon V. He's been around for long a time serving the realm. One of the most misunderstood characters in the books if you ask me :P

I must say it's good to see that there are at least a few people around who can look at Pycelle without immediately shouting "LANNISTER FANBOY".

After Pycelle had been a member of the Tywin-lead small council for two years he said this:

So it seems that either Tywin made a good impression on him fairly early on, or you can be in the other school and claim that Tywin surely got him dozens of whores and gave money and was actually his secret brother. Up to you.

Also one should remember Pycelle has been a maester forever. He forged his chain during Maekar and was named Grand Maester at a young age by Aegon V. He's been around for long a time serving the realm. One of the most misunderstood characters in the books if you ask me :P

Well, Pycelle can be Tywin's bitch and admire him at the same time. Why not?

Well, Pycelle can be Tywin's bitch and admire him at the same time. Why not?

If by bitch you mean pro-Tywin, then yes. Though the admiration appears to have come before he took his pro-Tywin line. Or at least we have no knowledge of him siding with Tywin in an apparent way before the sack of King's Landing, IIRC.

I am like 99% sure she was doing this before she lost Jaime. Her immediate offer of herself to Ned after he told that he knew her secret, her advice to Sansa to start using her vagina or else she won't achieve anything and some of her comments in Feast, imo, indicate that. That said, Cersei/Pycelle seems unlikely, thought it wouldn't surprise me.

Pycelle serves house lannister.

Pycelle loves/admires Tywin Lannister most of all.

Tyrion was sent by Tywin to rule in his name.

Pycelle worked again Tyrion, knowning he was acting in Tywins stead.

What do you mean by "Pycelle worked against Tyrion"? When? Are you referring to the episode where Tyrion made a marriage arrangements concerning the royal kids, and Pycelle let Cersei in on the secret? Because, funny enough, astonishing enough, that was one of the preciously rare instances where Cersei was in the right. She was the regent, she had the right to know, she needed to know, and Tyrion overstepped his boundaries by keeping her in the dark.

Or is there some other instance?

I am like 99% sure she was doing this before she lost Jaime. Her immediate offer of herself to Ned after he told that he knew her secret, her advice to Sansa to start using her vagina or else she won't achieve anything and some of her comments in Feast, imo, indicate that. That said, Cersei/Pycelle seems unlikely, thought it wouldn't surprise me.

Exactly, she's slept with far more people than Robert, Jaime, Kettleblack brothers, taena and Lancel.

Sure. Is Ned Jon Arryn's bitch? The Greatjon and the Blackfish Robb's bitch?

Shit, going by this criteria Davos is the biggest bitch in the series and there is far more evidence that Davos has been bought off than Pycelle has.

Davos is certainly Stannis' bitch, at least for the time being. Though he did smuggle Edric Storm.

ps. the biggest difference people are missing is that Pycelle is Grand Maester, he should serve the realm (possibly the King), not act partial to one family (Lannister).

While everybody knows Davos is Stannis' man, no one would expect otherwise.

ps. the biggest difference people are missing is that Pycelle is Grand Maester, he should serve the realm (possibly the King), not act partial to one family (Lannister).

Well, the thing is, Pycelle thinks (or used to think) that serving the realm and aiding the Lannisters were the same thing - as long as Tywin was around, in any case. Where and when he acquired this belief is not certain, but I think it's much more likely that he got it from being Grand Maester during Tywin's handship than because he's "a fanboy". After all, there's no objective way to "serve the realm" (except perhaps joining the Night's Watch).

It's also worth noting that he does go against Cersei (who's a Lannister, of course) when she starts making truly idiotic moves. He greatly admired and respected Tywin, and it's my opinion that he honestly believed that maximizing Tywin's influence was in the best interest of everyone.

Of course, with Tywin at Casterly Rock and Cersei as queen, Pycelle decides to aid her cause, until it becomes glaringly obvious that, Lannister or no, Cersei does not care about the realm, nor is she doing it any favors.

Well, the thing is, Pycelle thinks (or used to think) that serving the realm and aiding the Lannisters were the same thing - as long as Tywin was around, in any case. Where and when he acquired this belief is not certain, but I think it's much more likely that he got it from being Grand Maester during Tywin's handship than because he's "a fanboy". After all, there's no objective way to "serve the realm" (except perhaps joining the Night's Watch).

It's also worth noting that he does go against Cersei (who's a Lannister, of course) when she starts making truly idiotic moves. He greatly admired and respected Tywin, and it's my opinion that he honestly believed that maximizing Tywin's influence was in the best interest of everyone.

Of course, with Tywin at Casterly Rock and Cersei as queen, Pycelle decides to aid her cause, until it becomes glaringly obvious that, Lannister or no, Cersei does not care about the realm, nor is she doing it any favors.

Yeah, I get it, it's a reasonable opinion. I always got the impression that for Pycelle it was Lannisters first, Realm second. When I reread the books I'll keep my eye open to see if I change my mind about that. Or maybe we just don't have enough information about that.

Yeah, I get it, it's a reasonable opinion. I always got the impression that for Pycelle it was Lannisters first, Realm second. When I reread the books I'll keep my eye open to see if I change my mind about that. Or maybe we just don't have enough information about that.

I don't think we do. Have enough information, that is. Either is a valid interpretation of his actions. A lot of what he does is rather glaringly pro-Lannister. Some of what he does is not. A lot of what he does could be either.

Archived