Dany's Ruling Skills

Let me address this huge misconception: Dany is not taking money from all of the slave trade. Just a specific group of people and in one instance:

When you appoint officers to oversee the procedure, you lose the one instance excuse.

She gets money from slave selling. Both slavers and Dany profit from slave salling. Someone who is against slavers don't make money from slaves.There is nothing different.

Yes,like I said.

Unsullied, 2/3 of them die during training that begins at age 5.

forced to take care of a puppy for a year then kill it.

forced to kill a baby in front of it's mother.

any ounce of free will or individuality stripped from them.

This is exactly the same thing Dany is doing, no difference whatsoever. I don't get why the Unsullied follow her so blindly. Clearly she is far worse than any of those fine upstanding businessmen in Astapor.

This is exactly the same thing Dany is doing, no difference whatsoever. I don't get why the Unsullied follow her so blindly. Clearly she is far worse than any of those fine upstanding businessmen in Astapor.

She gets money from people sold in slavery. Yes it's the same. They got money she gots money. For such an so called "Breaker of Chains" is the same.

It seems fan-fictiony only if you watch the show only. She claims plenty of slaves during her time with the Dothraki (explicitly), and she knowingly uses slaves during her stay with Illyrio. The (fairly reasonable) argument that she doesn't have the power to change the nature of the society she lives in applies equally to the vast majority of the Astapori she has killed for the same crime later on, many of whom are younger than she was at the time. Dany does not seem to object to the nature of slavery, but she does object to the mistreatment of slaves. Which is to her credit, but there's no need to whitewash her and claim she doesn't own slaves.

I don't think Dany owned anything during her time with the Dothraki. Maybe her dragon eggs or her wedding gifts. Even they could have been taken away from her at any time if Drogo had wished

Two posters are agreeing with each other and still arguing. It's the best. :lol:

When you appoint officers to oversee the procedure, you lose the one instance excuse.

Here we go with the Off-Screen Narrative. I'm not here to argue what might have happened.

I don't think Dany owned anything during her time with the Dothraki. Maybe her dragon eggs or her wedding gifts. Even they could have been taken away from her at any time if Drogo had wished

She "owned" her hand maidens. That's just about it. Once she start coming into her own (going from pawn to player), she started making commands. It starts with her claiming MMD and the other lambwomen and ordering the Dothraki to stop raping.

Again, her detractors expect miracles. Dany should have burst onto the page declaring her intent to end slavery from her first chapter.

Yada yada yada. People profit from slavery that is the point. Both she and the slavers are profiting from that.

Yada yada, the entire economy of Planetos including Westeros profits from slavery as well. Dany has shown far more anti slavery sentiment than any other person from the ruling class of slavers bay.

Did she end slavery in one book? No, but she certainly sparked something within that part of the world regarding the ills of slavery.

And she has freed masses of ex slaves who appreciate it and have no desire whatsoever to return themselves to slavery. This can't be taken away from her and is more than anyone else there has done for slaves.

Yada yada, the entire economy of Planetos including Westeros profits from slavery as well. Dany has shown far more anti slavery sentiment than any other person from the ruling class of slavers bay.

Did she end slavery in one book? No, but she certainly sparked something within that part of the world regarding the ills of slavery.

And she has freed masses of ex slaves who appreciate it and have no desire whatsoever to return themselves to slavery. This can't be taken away from her and is more than anyone else has done for slaves.

From "Breaker of chains" to profit of slavery is a long way down the "morality" road. She stops others from profiting from it but when she made people to slave themselves she took money from that.

From "Breaker of chains" to profit of slavery is a long way down the "morality" road. She stops others from profiting from it but when she made people to slave themselves she took money from that.

There are no chains to break when they person wants to be a slave of their own free will.

The chains of the MASSES of slaves she freed remain broken. Thus she is still breaker of chains

There are no chains to break when they person wants to be a slave of their own free will.

The chains of the MASSES of slaves she freed remain broken. Thus she is still breaker of chains

Why to make money from people who want to make themselves slave tho? That is the question. By doing that she is doing what the slavers did; make money from slavery.

Why to make money from people who want to make themselves slave tho? That is the question. By doing that she is doing what the slavers did; make money from slavery.

Financial gain isn't the reason slavery is bad, all businessmen would be just as evil as slavers if that was the case

Financial gain isn't the reason slavery is bad, all businessmen would be just as evil as slavers if that was the case

I really hope that you are joking right now. She make themselve miserable and they have from free people to be slaves and then she takes money from it. She did it, she caused it and she profits. She becomes a slaver herself.

I really hope that you are joking right now. She make themselve miserable and they have from free people to be slaves and then she takes money from it. She did it, she caused it and she profits. She becomes a slaver herself.

Still arguing the misconception Dany profits from all slavery.

The point GRRM tried to make with Meereen was that it is very difficult to rule (almost impossible) a city after such huge changes like ending slavery has happened. Dany ended slavery when she was idealistinen and wanted to help but later found she neened to make some moral compromises because of her choice. Like she took some taxes when people willingly sold herself to slavery. This is supposed to show that ruling is not easy and there is always some less than ideal things rurels must make for the system or they do them because nobody is perfect (Dany ordering this torture ONCE since she is frustrated and wants results).

Meereen shows that doing something great is not as easy it first appears. Dany's period there gave her some grey aspects and she learned of ruling. But in no way she become some incompetent mess. I also find it ironic that when people defend her they are said to make here this perfect white-wasted savior without noticing they paint Dany as this incompetent villain. Dany had the best of intentions always in Meereen. If that and the fact nobody could fix a city's issues in the short amount of time she had with all her neigbors being hostile to her because she ended slavery is not enough for you to think she is not a villain I do not know how you are reading the books.

Or the poor, underage girls she had tortured to death (and most likely raped in the process) to make their father, who she knew to know nothing, talk?

You don't know that they're were tortured to death, or that they were raped, or that they were underage. All we know is she had a man's daughters "questioned sharply". That's it. Given Dany's stance on rape, and her soft spot for children I find these suggestions unlikely. But hey, anything to make her look worse than she is.

You don't know that they're were tortured to death, or that they were raped, or that they were underage. All we know is she had a man's daughters "questioned sharply". That's it. Given Dany's stance on rape, and her soft spot for children I find these suggestions unlikely. But hey, anything to make her look worse than she is.

Given Dany's thoughts about slavery she shouldn't make money from it yest she does.

Maybe give actual reasons as to why you don't think Dany is a good ruler. The OP asked an honest question. No need to be dismissive.

Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean it's being dismissive. As for a more lengthy answer, when search is working again do feel free to search for some of my more lengthy responses in the various Dany threads. I'm not going to write an impromptu essay each and every time.

Archived