Could Others contract greyscale?

Varys' member

I've seen/heard it speculated that the Others are created by a similar disease as greyscale. Instead of turning to stone, they turn to ice.

I can't find it though. It was either on the History of Westeros podcast (I think it was one of their book & show episodes recently, but I haven't found it yet!) and/or around here somewhere but search hasn't been working.

It is documented that the wildlings are terrified of greyscale, given Val's reaction to Shireen. I don't think we've gotten any further info on that point, though. It could just be that they don't have the capability to contain it and let it run its course in children, so they just kill them right away.

But it would be freaking awesome if the Others turned to Stone Men.

I can only speculate, but as far as I know (and I certainly am no expert on the matter), undead in other types of fantasy are generally immune to diseases. This, of course, doesn't mean that the Others will be immune to grayscale - that's totally up to George, after all. But I would put my money on "no".

A requirement of dying is living. Sam did nothing after all!

Did Puddles really die or was it more an "I'm melting! I'm melting!" kind of situation?

I think the Others would have to get a variant of it...Blue-Greyscale.

Hey...what if Otherization/Live-Wighting is the cure for greyscale? Then the Others/WW are victims of previous plagues who are not happy with the results and are coming back to sue Citadel-Pharma.

Who do you think The Greyjoys prey to?

Why do you think they were the only ones to developed a culture based on warfare and stealing rather than exchange?

What do you think the work Grey in Grey Kings comes from?

Socratic post time :)

Archived