Ser Jorah & Daenerys scene

There have been plenty of suggestions that Dany is fine. They are more reasonable than arguments about Dany being infected. Are you blind, sir?

My problem was with the lack of evidence and arguments to back up the assetion that she is either fine or not fine. Are you blind?

There's a soundbite in the preview for the finale in which Tyrion exclaims "You betrayed her!" but we don't get a visual to accompany it. I'm thinking this may be part of a dialogue in which he calls Jorah out on touching Dany (and others) knowing full-well he himself has greyscale. Just a theory.

He doesn't have to because he was smart enough to not have Jorah catch it and then go hold hands with Daenerys.

But GRRM did have Jon Connington catch it.

The difference, of course, is that GRRM's ambiguity about greyscale creates a suspension of disbelief issue for his storyline, while HBO's interpretation of it makes eminent sense.

Connington is not in love with Aegon -- there's no reason for him to be in proximity to, and likely in contact with, Aegon. Why doesn't Connington admit he has it, and leave? Or, just leave. Makes no sense.

However, in HBO's interpretation Jorah is desperate beyond reason to be by Khaleesi's side and ultimately in her bed -- by definition he therefore cannot ultimately care whether he gives it to her.

My problem was with the lack of evidence and arguments to back up the assetion that she is either fine or not fine. Are you blind?

The show is clearly portraying that the transmission of the disease if via direct contact with the infected skin. As for evidence? Ok. I'll do my best.

Jorah has come into contact with a great many people since being infected with greyscale. Now one thing we do know about this greyscale is that if you are infected? You show a symptom wherever the touch took place. Jorah immediately showed signs of it. Does Tyrion have it when he man handled him to hide from the slavers? Do the slavers show signs of it when they beat the living crap out of Jorah? Does Yezzan or any of the pit fighters show signs of it after they were struck? The answer is no.

As far as the soundbyte of Tyrion? I think that's in response to Jorah wanting to take charge of the city while Dany is absent.

But GRRM did have Jon Connington catch it.

The difference, of course, is that GRRM's ambiguity about greyscale creates a suspension of disbelief issue for his storyline, while HBO's interpretation of it makes eminent sense.

Connington is not in love with Aegon -- there's no reason for him to be in proximity to, and likely in contact with, Aegon. Why doesn't Connington admit he has it, and leave? Or, just leave. Makes no sense.

However, in HBO's interpretation Jorah is desperate beyond reason to be by Khaleesi's side and ultimately in her bed -- by definition he therefore cannot ultimately care whether he gives it to her.

He doesn't leave because he wants to seat Rhaegar's "Son" on the Iron Throne before he dies. Pretty self explanatory really.

He doesn't leave because he wants to seat Rhaegar's "Son" on the Iron Throne before he dies. Pretty self explanatory really.

You're making my point: why would Connington destroy his very own goal by potentially killing Aegon by exposing him to greyscale?

Leave Aegon's side and work towards that goal in other ways. That makes sense. But stay in proximity to Aegon and kill him? No, that's insensible.

You're making my point: why would Connington destroy his very own goal by potentially killing Aegon by exposing him to greyscale?

Leave Aegon's side and work towards that goal in other ways. That makes sense. But stay in proximity to Aegon and kill him? No, that's insensible.

But wasn't your point that Connington had no interest in Aegon, so he should have left, whereas Jorah loves Daenerys, which is why he stays? Now that you've been provided with a reason for Connington staying, the difference you pointed out no longer stands.

I believe its a plot point for the next series.

Ser Jorah is infected, in the heat of the moment he took Danys hand, who in turn passed the infection on without knowing. Whether the Khaleesi's bloodline will protect her is irrelevant.

Essentially moving into next season a number of Danys group have greyscale. She cannot go west until she finds a cure. So to look for a cure she goes to Valyria, her ancestral home and the current residence of the stonemen. The first Targaryen to enter the city in how long?

D&D introduced the city for a reason, it seemed frivolous to send Jorah and Tyrion there, but its perfect for establishing a future story arc.

Imagine what she might learn of her family history there? We know Drogon has been, what places might he bring her?

I do enjoy reading how people instantly assume that D&D don't know what they are doing. I've just finished watching the episode an hour ago and I can already see huge twists developing for the future. They may not be correct, but they are there, they are possible. I can only imagine what a room full of writers could create with the knowledge that GRRM has passed along.

Ser Jorah is infected, in the heat of the moment he took Danys hand, who in turn passed the infection on without knowing.

In the "heat of the moment"? Please. Them staring into each others' eyes was the calmest moment in the whole scene.

In the "heat of the moment"? Please. Them staring into each others' eyes was the calmest moment in the whole scene.

Facing revolt, people everywhere trying to kill them, months of separation, closest friends reunited, perhaps minutes from death, recognition of what they mean to each other...

There are bucket loads of reasons for them to hold each other in that split second.

In a series that includes dragons and people rising from the dead two friends holding hands is not a big issue.

This.

Like most skin infections, say the herpes/cold sore virus, you have to touch the actual sore/breakout location in order to contract it yourself. So even if someone has a cold sore on their lips, you're not going to contract it by shaking their hand, unless they've touched their mouth recently with their hand, then shook yours. So as far as book canon, Dany would have to make skin-to-skin contact with the actual greyscale itself, which right now is on the underside of Jorah's left wrist, and looked to be completely covered in the pit.

Shireen's doll had the been held recently (no idea how long the virus stays alive on inanimate objects), by someone infected who had touched the doll with their infected skin, thus transmitting the disease to her.

Stone men are covered with it, so pretty much touching them anywhere, you're screwed.

Exactly. I'm confident Jorah didn't give Dany greyscale. As with the theories about her contracting pale mare and becoming a "mad queen," I just see this as something her detractors will fantasize about until they are once again proven wrong.

I think the purpose of the lingering shot was to show Dany actively putting her trust in Jorah again after the roller coaster they've been on together, not to show that she would contract greyscale. I could be wrong, but that's how I interpreted it.

Agreed. Especially given the tone of the music for that scene.

Exactly. I'm confident Jorah didn't give Dany greyscale. As with the theories about her contracting pale mare and becoming a "mad queen," I just see this as something her detractors will fantasize about until they are once again proven wrong.

Yep, it's all just wishful thinking from those who don't like the character.

It is odd that they actually kind of stopped all the action to show Jorah offering her hand, and then put a closeup on Dany holding Missandei's hand. And make a point of showing Jorah's grayscale at least once an episode. They had to know that book readers, at least, would be thinking "grayscale" when Jorah touched Dany.

Nictarion, I think you probably know me well enough to know I ain't one of those anti-Dany types, far from it. And I found it quite striking.

To be sure, I'm not particularly concerned about Dany contracting grayscale. Missandei seems a little more likely, to put a bit of a tragic twist on the Gray Worm-Missandei nomance arc.

But wasn't your point that Connington had no interest in Aegon, so he should have left, whereas Jorah loves Daenerys, which is why he stays? Now that you've been provided with a reason for Connington staying, the difference you pointed out no longer stands.

Connington: "Aegon my boy, my life's mission is to stand by your side until you sit on the Iron Throne, even if it kills you."

No wonder HBO has jettisoned the dreck that is much of the Essos storyline in Dance of Dragons.

shortly after that scene, dany and missandei hold hands as the harpy surrounds them...chances greyscale bypasses Dany and infects the lovely Missandei?

There are numerous posts regarding Targ immunity. Even in the books she thinks about it and doesn't catch stuff.

As a side note I'm guessing Greyscale spreads and her blood offers immunity for suffers to use? That might be the bitter sweet ending..

In D&D's Game of Thrones, greyscale is a disease that only infects secondary characters, regardless of the amount of contact.

Haha - Although Tyrion does not catch it in the books either. Also, in the books Tyrion thinks that the infection mostly spreads from the infected part.

I don't have the video in front of me, but based on the characters' placement in the scene, I think Missandei held Dany's right hand. Yet if I recall correctly, Jorah took Dany's left hand with his right hand. And his infected arm is his left.

If greyscale spreads from the infected skin area, he would not necessarily have spread it to Dany or indirectly to Missandei.

Archived