Best/worst moments, best twists

tombru

Best Moment: Cersei's walk of shame, Jaime saving Brienne, Sam killing the White Walker, etc. But one of my favorites was Tyrion pissing off the Top of the Wall, it just seems like a cool thing to do...

Worst Moment: Nimble Dick's death, Sansa being forced to look at her father's head (absolutely terrible!)

Best Twist: Oberyn suddenly losing to the Mountain after dominating the Trial by Combat, I totally didn't see that coming...

Best moment - Cersei's arrest. Nothing I have ever read made me feel that good.

Worst moment - Gregor's really dickish move where he confessed to everything before Oberyn died. 100% serious I was in a state of depression for weeks after reading that.

Best twist - Everything in Sam's chapter. From Marywn revealing the true nature of the citadel to "pate like the pig boy" (something like that).

Just adding this in for people who are saying LS and how she's ruined catelyn, GRRM recently said that LS isn't Catelyn anymore. She's got her body and has some of her memories, but LS is no longer catelyn. There now almost like two separate people

Best moment: Walk of Shame, Lysa's death scene, Daznak's Pit, Bran in the cave, Purple Wedding, Red Wedding

Worst moment: Everything about Tyrion's chapters in ADWD, Arya's chapters in ASOS and Brienne's chapters in AFFC :bawl: So lame!

Best twist: Red Wedding, Purple Wedding, Littlefinger pushing Lysa, Lady Stoneheart in ASOS's epilogue... I don't remember anything else.

Worst twist: By far, Oberyn's death. I didn't like the character at all, but his death was waaaaay too contrived for my taste. It sucked. The same goes for that duel between the Hound and Beric. The Hound should have been killed there. Those parts felt like Dumb & Dumber writing, when it's all about the "shock value". :bang:
Oh, and Young Griff's true identity being revealed was very "erm..." too. Totally anticlimatic.

Those parts felt like Dumb & Dumber writing, when it's all about the "shock value". :bang:

Oh, and Young Griff's true identity being revealed was very "erm..." too. Totally anticlimatic.

It wasn't just shock value.

Without Oberyn's death there's no dorne plotline and then there's no Tyrion in Essos. Plus Cersei storyline craps out as well, cause Tywin would be alive.

Beric had to lose otherwise the hound would die and Arya would have to stick with the brotherhood without banners. Then there's no faceless men plot.

It's a bit unfair to say it's just for the shock

Best moments- edd received two votes in LC election(actually laugh at that one)

Jon and tyrion having conversation at the top of the wall( idk but that event was imprinted in my head, dany hatching dragons, belwas killing theproud merenese, cersei's walk of repentance, jon being voted as LC( i never see that coming), tyrion-bronns adventure with mountain tribes( cant remember the particular moment), tyrion slapbitch joffrey, tyrion outsmarted LF, and so many more ..

Worst moments- mormont treachery, nimbledick ( sh#t that was extremely horrible and disgusting), mycah's death( man that was butchery) ,old dude and her grandaughter who died after helping arya and sandor,jeyne's torture, davos's son's death(feel sorry for oldman), yoren's death( that dude is tough one), biter eating briene's face( that was sick)..and more

Best twists- undisputably the "red wedding"( i was reading it around midnight and then i stared for a moment after that catelyn chapter).

Ned's beheading ( i thought he was already safe)

Joffrey death( lol at that pidgeon pie)

LF revealed his true self ( arryn poisoning) , oberyn's death , YG and LS revelation,

Tyrion learned truth of tysha,tywin's death,bran and rickon's survival and many more.

Best moment: Tyrion's journey in Storm. A roller coaster ride as he goes from being falsely accused of murder, having to suffer through his farce of a trial with no hope that trial by combat is his only hope, to everyone betraying him, to Oberyn finally stepping up for him, him losing in an epic battle, only for Tyrion to escape. That whole journey was probably my favorite arc in the books so far.

Worst: I'd have to give it to Lady Stoneheart. It just ruined Catelyn's character for me.

Best twist: Well this isn't the biggest one, but the first time I read the novels I was fully expecting Ned to get out of it in some way up until the moment I'm like "holy crap, they really killed him!" Again, small compared in scope but that one completely subverted my expectations. Not many authors have the guts to just kill off their main protagonist, which Ned was in that novel.

I wouldn't call the Lady Stoneheart reveal a "bad" one, per se. But I do believe that GRRM wants us to feel that LS "ruins" Catelyn. Hate and vengeance ruins a person, which is literally and symbolically what it did to Catelyn. Part of us is supposed to feel disgusted by her.

Best moment: Tyrion blocking Cersei's slap and saying his "your joy will turn to ashes" speech.

Worst moment: Ramsay and Jeyne's consummation.

Best Twist: Dany and Drogon flying away.

Worst twist: Reek turning into Ramsay and burning winterfell. It's the worst twist because it made me feel shit afterwards.

Just adding this in for people who are saying LS and how she's ruined catelyn, GRRM recently said that LS isn't Catelyn anymore. She's got her body and has some of her memories, but LS is no longer catelyn. There now almost like two separate people

This feels wrong, it just feel wrong. Strange and messed up all at once.

I wouldn't call the Lady Stoneheart reveal a "bad" one, per se. But I do believe that GRRM wants us to feel that LS "ruins" Catelyn. Hate and vengeance ruins a person, which is literally and symbolically what it did to Catelyn. Part of us is supposed to feel disgusted by her.

I'm not sure. Cat has always played the pity card, from holding Brans hand, asking Robb to bend the knee, getting Lysa to forgive Hoster, swearing no vengeance to Frey, she's always strived for the impossible, and it made her mad. Now she's not allowed to rest in peace, and join Ned in the afterlife.

I disagreed with many things Cat did, but since her revival she's a huge favorite of mine and I find myself rooting for her every instance.

When Cat pulled down her hood, best moment in asoiaf

Your mileage may vary, and I understand the general theme and agree with it. I just don't like how he ruined a character I was otherwise fond of to do it. I would imagine if Jon ends up dying from the Ides of Marsh and comes back as hate filled zombie who starts murdering people there would be fan outrage as well for example.

Best moment: The Battle of Blackwater. This definitely lived up to its build-up. Although the result was one that was just heart-wrenching, the fact that it pitted two of the books' stars against one another was brilliant. Stannis had the right to win, whereas Tyrion was fighting for the wrong side... and somehow it's setup so that both of them deserve to win. It ends with a bittersweet slap as Stannis' armies desert him and Tyrion's triumph is credited to Tywin instead.

Worst moment: Everything in Dorne. It was boring.

Best twist: R+L=J. ;)

Archived