[BOOK SPOILERS] Discussing Sansa XIX - The season with no reason

Mladen

It degraded Sansa the character because she had to be a twit to go to Bolton controlled Winterfell/obey LF's hair brained scheme, and the implication for her future arc (that Sansa was so incapable of abstract thought that she had to personally experience rape to be motivated against the family that stabbed her brother and stole her home), and as a moral lesson (that will teach Lady Medieval Cheerleader to reject St Tyrion).

Great acting oppurtunity for the actress.

Thankyou, that was what I was reaching for. You put it rather well.

I just don't think this season has been very professional. Nor do I think it helps ratings: women make up 51% of the human race, and rape scenes distress many women, so why alienate that audience segment?

I try and write as best I can: I try and add symbolism, themes, beauty and research into my work... and I am not paid to do so. If I were being paid to do so, the onus would be much greater, to create something as perfect as possible.

Precisely because this audience segment shocked reactions will give a lot of publicity to the show. Episode 6 was certainly the one that generated the most pages on the internet and in medias this season. And even if such publicity is "negative" it makes lots of people curious to see what will happen next in the scandalous show (and even if some are hate watchers they are still watchers). By the way hate watchers write more about the show and so give it more publicity.

Then there's a fact target core audience of the show are not asoiaf readership (which is largely female) but rather the now grown up LOTR movies fans (GOT was originally presented as "LOTR meet the Sopranos"), fantasy fans, generally associated with geek male stereotype (and certainly with statistically good reasons), or if they are girls, ones having the same tastes. This core public may be analysed as having no particular sympathy for characters like Sansa, not that they hate her but just don't consider her that important and globally rather annoying, so she's certainly judged "expendable" for shock scenes.

The two most popular memes/gifs made by show core audience are Ramsay's "If you think it has a happy ending you weren't paying attention" and his sausage play, I don't see much about Sansa building a castle of snow.

Now yes there's something feminists may complain about, this show is not more made to cater to their tastes and issues, than the average AAA video game (actually targeting the same kind of core audience). But it doesn't mean any conclusion may be made about showmakers personnality, personnal ideology or desires, they are making a product here to meet its goals, which have nothing to do with making the fanfiction of their dreams or advancing a political agenda, if some consequences may be the same.

I wish I could be at Comicon and cannot wait to see what Q&A with Sophie's answers are.

I'm upset D&D aren't attending. People would ask them what everyone really wants to know: What the hell where they thinking. I'm still certain the question will come up to Sophie, but since she didn't write it, It's quite complicated for her to answer it.

I wish I could be at Comicon and cannot wait to see what Q&A with Sophie's answers are.

She's never going to criticise the show or the writers.

She'll toe the line that this was 'shocking' and 'tragic' for Sansa (which to the writers is why it's such a great change), she'll talk about how empowering it was that she grabbed the corkscrew and picked a lock ('cause like, she's totally not a victim now and it shows that D&D were careful to not make her too passive), throw in something about how this is Game of Thrones and nobody is ever happy and then maybe talk about how Sansa will be angry and vengeful next season to get people to tune in next year.

Standard PR stuff really.

EDIT: Double posted there, sorry. Don't know why that happened.

Well it be really unfortunate to gang up on her since she has no real power on the writing of the show and isn't the powers behind it.

Well it be really unfortunate to gang up on her since she has no real power on the writing of the show and isn't the powers behind it.

It does say a lot about D&D that they can't muster up the courage to go to Comic Con, on their most controversial year yet. Only interviews like the one with EW, showing even more their disinterest in explaining their changes. If I were to comic con this year, that's the only question on my mind. I'd like an explanation as to why all interesting elements of the storyline they "loved" were stripped away and we got the rape.

It does say a lot about D&D that they can't muster up the courage to go to Comic Con, on their most controversial year yet. Only interviews like the one with EW, showing even more their disinterest in explaining their changes. If I were to comic con this year, that's the only question on my mind. I'd like an explanation as to why all interesting elements of the storyline they "loved" were stripped away and we got the rape.

True, but Sophie isn't going to truly be able to answer that question to the full reasoning, and that is why D & D won't be there, to blunt it, it's like leaving her there to hold the bag.

True, but Sophie isn't going to truly be able to answer that question to the full reasoning, and that is why D & D won't be there, to blunt it, it's like leaving her there to hold the bag.

Exactly. It's almost like they are sending her there to answer for the vitriol herself, without any weapons, hoping she'll charm the audience... Wait, Is that a parallel?

Exactly. It's almost like they are sending her there to answer for the vitriol herself, without any weapons, hoping she'll charm the audience... Wait, Is that a parallel?

They probably expect the rest of the cast to give her support to cut the question quickly.

I guaranty that the Sansa storyline and questions to her will be a big part of their evening. Also, not coincedence Iwan Reon is not going there either. Not that it is his fault but Ramsay by doing this to Sansa reached new hate levels with many.

Well some people just can't separate fiction from real life, they must not have much to do.

Well some people just can't separate fiction from real life, they must not have much to do.

They guy should not be blamed. I think his story about buying a flat this year and hoping his character lives a little bit longer so he can pay it off is down to earth. They are all same as us, bills to pay, families to provide for. Real people.

They guy should not be blamed. I think his story about buying a flat this year and hoping his character lives a little bit longer so he can pay it off is down to earth. They are all same as us, bills to pay, families to provide for. Real people.

? I'm not talking about the actor, I'm talking about "fans" who go upshit crazy on actors, writers and such because of character actions or written scenes.

? I'm not talking about the actor, I'm talking about "fans" who go upshit crazy on actors, writers and such because of character actions or written scenes.

I get pissed at the writers for doing stupid stuff for whatever their motives are but the actors and actresses are at their mercy if they want a paycheck and a career.

I get pissed at the writers for doing stupid stuff for whatever their motives are but the actors and actresses are at their mercy if they want a paycheck and a career.

I bet that Sophie Turner would even have asked for a bit more action and drama instead of partying in The Vale.

I bet that Sophie Turner would even have asked for a bit more action and drama instead of partying in The Vale.

Yeah for a up and coming actress, the drama and action is good for her, the writers screwed up the character/s, and the fans need to know the difference between the two.

A bit more action could have meant playing Barbrey Dustin. Now there's an interesting, juicy role. Playing Jeyne Poole might be interesting, but Jeyne's a very minor character in the books. She only really appears at three chapters in Dance, one in which Theon recognizes her as FArya, the one of her bedding and her rescue. That's it. Lady Dustin's a much better character.

Archived