[BOOK SPOILERS] Discussing Sansa XIX - The season with no reason

Mladen

I wonder about this too in the "deleted scenes" posts. It would seem that something was shot on film but was decided it would be too much, even for game of thrones.[/quote

Could the actor/actress veto a scene after they saw it edited? Maybe there was somE intense nudity from Iwan or Sophie and they used some clause in contract to have it removed?? Just speculating here

I doubt Sophie showed anything except side profile from waste down but Iwan had to get psyched and has done nudity before, if it was nudity, it was him.

I know on one of the unspoiledpodcasts, Miles said that Sophie has a no nudity clause in her contract.

I know on one of the unspoiledpodcasts, Miles said that Sophie has a no nudity clause in her contract.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure her, Maisie, Emilia, Lena and Natalie signed one in their contract last year. It does help to explain the fact that Dany's scenes this year were odd and uncomfortable. And D&D can't do anything about it, since they can't re-cast Emilia, Sophie or Natalie.

Okay. If that's possible then def would have had to be Iwan. And yeah idk why they would write it if she has a no nudity clause. Maybe we are just overthinking it. I mean I could see all those people who have known her since she was an early teen not wanting to see any skin. Even her backside or side view so that could be traumatic for them to watch. Probably overthinking it

Okay. If that's possible then def would have had to be Iwan. And yeah idk why they would write it if she has a no nudity clause. Maybe we are just overthinking it. I mean I could see all those people who have known her since she was an early teen not wanting to see any skin. Even her backside or side view so that could be traumatic for them to watch. Probably overthinking it

I'm thinking that she wasn't nude but they simulated sexual movements. Like, Iwan looked liked he was pushing into her roughly and even though it wasn't really happening, it still looked real enough to weird out the crew.

I'm thinking that she wasn't nude but they simulated sexual movements. Like, Iwan looked liked he was pushing into her roughly and even though it wasn't really happening, it still looked real enough to weird out the crew.

I think it wasn't really about what they saw as much as what was implied. I was traumatized by the scene and I don't know Sophie.

I could see that being possible. I guess actors would need to be in character and such to possibly simulate an act even if they were just using the noises. Makes sense. And yes that would weird a lot of people out. I'm sure those who have known her so long would be like seeing their daughter or little sister in that position or something. Who knows. I'm sure they will address it at some point at comicon or something. And I agree the noises were traumatic for anyone vested in the show. Her arc this season def changed my views of Sansa. I was never a fan really if her character but this season I bought in fully. Guess D&D accomplished their goal, at least in my world

I could see that being possible. I guess actors would need to be in character and such to possibly simulate an act even if they were just using the noises. Makes sense. And yes that would weird a lot of people out. I'm sure those who have known her so long would be like seeing their daughter or little sister in that position or something. Who knows. I'm sure they will address it at some point at comicon or something. And I agree the noises were traumatic for anyone vested in the show. Her arc this season def changed my views of Sansa. I was never a fan really if her character but this season I bought in fully. Guess D&D accomplished their goal, at least in my world

I just hated seeing her suffer in this way after all of the other suffering she has endured. I have a soft spot in my heart for her character and the actress. I hope Sophie has a decent career and not get corrupted by fame and fortune like way, way too may lovely young actress' do.

I just hated seeing her suffer in this way after all of the other suffering she has endured. I have a soft spot in my heart for her character and the actress. I hope Sophie has a decent career and not get corrupted by fame and fortune like way, way too may lovely young actress' do.

I agree. I def bought into the plot. As much as I hated it, I became consumed with hoping she got away and will end up safely. I always as assumed that is what the producers and writers were going for.

I agree. I def bought into the plot. As much as I hated it, I became consumed with hoping she got away and will end up safely. I always as assumed that is what the producers and writers were going for.

Well, I am hooked either way, which is more dissapointing in the show writting. The audience was there before this storyline and other rediculous storylines as well. That made this one all the more unnecessary. I will be ready for next year, hell, I am ready for it now but cherish that the book should be out first.

Well, I am hooked either way, which is more dissapointing in the show writting. The audience was there before this storyline and other rediculous storylines as well. That made this one all the more unnecessary. I will be ready for next year, hell, I am ready for it now but cherish that the book should be out first.

Amen. I would have enjoyed sticking mainly to the books. The Vale storyline I like pretty well so far. I understand it would have been expensive but I take that over this years WF mashup plot any day.

Off topic ? I get it that Sophie likes traumatic scene, she is a drama Queen, I get it but she says she cares about Sansa's character, I was just wondering if it occured to anyone in her "inner circle", since she does not read the books, that they have or have not told her that her character makes no sense anymore. I agree with you in that there is no sense in her being there. That was the point I was trying to make. Woman of War seemed to be offended at what she thought I was writing about and I was merely tryng to defend myself.

I am not offended at all.

But I, as a mother, know that parents interfering too much with the professional career of their grown children is not a good idea.

And I believe that Turner will have agents and more professional advisers to help her and to analyse the impact a role or its presentation may have on the actress' future career.

And I think that this role indeed offered a huge possibility to Sophie Turner to show her abilities. And no doubt many book and script readers will have advised Turner telling her that her plotline was so much better for her acting career than a plotline close to the books. There the important events are yet to come, what happened so far in AFFC feels very much like mere buildup for the future. It would have meant only keeping her somewhat occupied until season 6 where something like the much discussed events might happen anyways.

Apart from that the actress no doubt has contract obligations to act according to the script, though maybe she chose that so far it would still be negative for her career to be naked on screen. Thus keeping the "girl" image alive a little longer that way before this actress inevitably enters the image of very grownup sexy woman, her being casted for teenage roles being over.

I said degraded her character as in Sansa, not Sophie in particular. Sophie's personal character is not really part of this discussion although I like her and think well of her. I think you should walk back your comments a little bit. They strike me as a tad bit too personal towards me, unjustifiably.

It degraded Sansa the character because she had to be a twit to go to Bolton controlled Winterfell/obey LF's hair brained scheme, and the implication for her future arc (that Sansa was so incapable of abstract thought that she had to personally experience rape to be motivated against the family that stabbed her brother and stole her home), and as a moral lesson (that will teach Lady Medieval Cheerleader to reject St Tyrion).

Great acting oppurtunity for the actress.

It degraded Sansa the character because she had to be a twit to go to Bolton controlled Winterfell/obey LF's hair brained scheme, and the implication for her future arc (that Sansa was so incapable of abstract thought that she had to personally experience rape to be motivated against the family that stabbed her brother and stole her home), and as a moral lesson (that will teach Lady Medieval Cheerleader to reject St Tyrion).

Great acting oppurtunity for the actress.

We should refrain from psychoanalysing Martin or the showmakers, this would be degrading to them and they, as opposite to Sansa, are really existing people.

We should refrain from psychoanalysing Martin or the showmakers, this would be degrading to them and they, as opposite to Sansa, are really existing people.

Martin didn't write it, and whilst the man likes nipples and has obviously struggled with rejection as a young man, he is clearly an amazingly empathetic and thoughtful writer, able to write an 11 year old girl convincingly... and from the perspective of someone like Theon, or Davos or Kevan...

The show writers lack that nuance, and their plots aren't logical, so we can only conclude that their is a lesson they have in mind for the viewer and I really disapprove of the implications of that lesson.

Thinking showmakers do things to deliver some personnal message for their own pleasure (or worse because they are pervs) and not because they believe it will give the show interest, publicity or audience look a bit crazy for me.

D&D are professionnals, they know a popular character rape scene make lots of medias, pro or social, speak about it and give free publicity to their show, that's all. Like for every shock scene. They are masters of viral publicity based on trolling the audience like shown with things like Benjen "leak" for the last episode. They don't need personnal motives to do so.

They may also have believed it would make the story more interesting, or help them give their cast interesting things to do while reducing the number of sets.

And if there is any message (like things related to the fabled "revenge of the geeks trope" some fumblrinists can't stop being obsessed with) it would be because HBO analysts determined their target audience would appreciate it.

Thinking showmakers do things to deliver some personnal message for their own pleasure (or worse because they are pervs) and not because they believe it will give the show interest, publicity or audience look a bit crazy for me.

D&D are professionnals, they know a popular character rape scene make lots of medias, pro or social, speak about it and give free publicity to their show, that's all. Like for every shock scene. They are masters of viral publicity based on trolling the audience like shown with things like Benjen "leak" for the last episode. They don't need personnal motives to do so.

They may also have believed it would make the story more interesting, or help them give their cast interesting things to do.

And if there is any message (like things related to the fabled "revenge of the geeks trope" some fumblrinists can't stop being obsessed with) it would be because HBO analysts determined their target audience would appreciate it.

I just don't think this season has been very professional. Nor do I think it helps ratings: women make up 51% of the human race, and rape scenes distress many women, so why alienate that audience segment?

I try and write as best I can: I try and add symbolism, themes, beauty and research into my work... and I am not paid to do so. If I were being paid to do so, the onus would be much greater, to create something as perfect as possible.

Archived