Has the show lost it's heart?

Getright

Not gonna happen. It doesn't work like that. My prediction would be 40-50 years before a remake, if ever.

The competition all wish they were as 'incompentent' as the showrunners. They would all love to be making/airing this show as it is right now. Nothing to be gained by ploughing in a ton of money into something very few people would watch.

You won't get more people watching a remake if it more faithful to the books. Conversely, you would lose everyone who doesn't want to plow though the whole story again (which would be most people), and those who got caught-up in the shocking Ned/RedWedding/dragons moments watching it with friends, discussing on Twitter etc. GoT caught the Zetgeist, it won't happenlike that again, so won't attract the far wider crowd outside the fantasty-fan genre. There is no way it will be remade soon.

Oh, and you would of course get some people constantly complaining that it's not as good as the original - now where have we heard that before?

LOL What remake? Who said anything about remake? Are you even aware that the books are the original story while the show is just juvenile dumb version of it? Nobody would be that stupid to remake stupid show when they can make proper adaptation of the source material. So my prediction is that somebody will do proper adaptation of ASOIAF and not remake of GOT. By now GOT is so different than ASOIAF that proper adaptation of ASOIAF would be like completely different show. And of course you'd get more people watching proper adaptation. ASOIAF was super-hit among books long before the show came and books are lot more harder to consume than TV show. This popularity of GOT is nothing extraordinary really. It is very similar to popularity of Lost or Walking Dead. But popularity of the books is something that is lot stronger and lot more extraordinary and much bigger phenomenon really because there was no TV empire behind it to back it up with advertising and everything. If you think that other companies are going to let that pass just because HBO made this ridiculous show, well sorry but you obviously ignore some realities like competition. HBO's stupidity made it easy for everyone else because HBO wanted to make summer hit and earn easy millions and that is precisely what they got with D&D's mediocrity. But that doesn't prevent other studios from going after main prize which is going to bring them even more millions. Now of course this is just my prediction so we'll have to wait and see but at least if you want to reply read my post first because I never talked about any remake LOL.

OMG you're really serious? :stunned:

Reality check, the show is hugely successful and praised to high heaven literally everywhere except by a vocal minority here. And even here more people vote each episode a 10 than a 1. So.... yeah... bury your delusions.

Of course that Im serious. Are you? The show is successful and praised just like Lost was in its time and that is true reflection of the show's quality. Instead of making Sopranos of The Middle Earth, HBO made Lost of The Middle Earth. And that's it really, that is whole truth behind this popularity and critical praise of GOT. That is as you would say reality check. LOL. You show apologists really are arrogant beyond belief. It is you who need reality check if you think adaptation of ASOIAF is supposed to be like this. And of course votes are going to be high because people that were disappointed in the show and stop watching it don't really have any reason to vote. I never voted for example and there was not single episode that deserved more than 4 for my taste so you can just imagine what would be final score if people like me voted.

Its about as likely as getting the LOTR trilogy remade. Its not going to happen in our lifetime.

As dumb as the show has become its still one of the most popular shows on television and its only going to get bigger coming up to the last two seasons.

I'm just praying Dumb & Dumber don't get their hands on Robert's Rebellion. "Lets make Robert a villain and kill of Ser Barristan on the trident".

There is big difference because some new adaptation of LOTR wouldn't be too different from PJ's movies. Maybe some more skillful writer/director would make better adaptation but it would still be essentially same story. ASOIAF is something else entirely because proper adaptation would actually be radically different than GOT. And by the way things are changing very quickly. Just ask George. When he published AGOT he was sure that it is impossible for adaptation and he was experienced with TV and movies. But only ten years later he was in negotiating with HBO about adaptation. Who knows what can happen ten years from now. Im only guessing of course, but if TWOW and ADOS are as good as expected, it will be best possible invitations for other studios and companies to approach George.

LOL What remake? Who said anything about remake? Are you even aware that the books are the original story while the show is just juvenile dumb version of it? Nobody would be that stupid to remake stupid show when they can make proper adaptation of the source material. So my prediction is that somebody will do proper adaptation of ASOIAF and not remake of GOT. By now GOT is so different than ASOIAF that proper adaptation of ASOIAF would be like completely different show. And of course you'd get more people watching proper adaptation. ASOIAF was super-hit among books long before the show came and books are lot more harder to consume than TV show. This popularity of GOT is nothing extraordinary really. It is very similar to popularity of Lost or Walking Dead. But popularity of the books is something that is lot stronger and lot more extraordinary and much bigger phenomenon really because there was no TV empire behind it to back it up with advertising and everything. If you think that other companies are going to let that pass just because HBO made this ridiculous show, well sorry but you obviously ignore some realities like competition. HBO's stupidity made it easy for everyone else because HBO wanted to make summer hit and earn easy millions and that is precisely what they got with D&D's mediocrity. But that doesn't prevent other studios from going after main prize which is going to bring them even more millions. Now of course this is just my prediction so we'll have to wait and see but at least if you want to reply read my post first because I never talked about any remake LOL.

First of all, you're being obnoxious about the word "remake." Another adaptation of ASOIAF would, in fact, accurately be labeled a "remake."

But there is an exactly 0% chance that anyone will redo this in, say, the next 30 years. And if it was redone again soon, there is an exactly 0% chance that this hypothetical adaptation would get more viewers than the current show.

First of all, you're being obnoxious about the word "remake." Another adaptation of ASOIAF would, in fact, accurately be labeled a "remake."

But there is an exactly 0% chance that anyone will redo this in, say, the next 30 years. And if it was redone again soon, there is an exactly 0% chance that this hypothetical adaptation would get more viewers than the current show.

LOL you really just rushed to insult without thinking it through. So, first of all, another adaptation of ASOIAF will be adaptation of ASOIAF and not remake of GOT. If you don't understand this than you should stay away from any debate and you should especially be careful not to call other people obnoxious because you are obnoxious with your ignorance. And about rest of your post all I can see is that there is exactly 0% explanation in it. I don't think you came from future so you, just like I, can't possibly be certain about anything that can or can't happen in the next 30 years. And please why is it so impossible for another show to have more viewers than GOT? For all we know GOT can have more viewers than it has now. There are many other shows that have more viewers. Even GOT would have more viewers if it was showed on national television instead of cable. LOL. You're just talking for the sake of talking which is really obnoxious.

If you think that Game of thrones is not an adaption of ASOIAF, then by all means, Lord Of the Rings Trilogy is not considered the adaption to the novel. See, you can consider game of thrones whatever YOU WANT. The fact of the matter is, GRRM sold the rights so that ASOIAF can be adapted on screen. Was content cut? Will more content be excluded? yes, such is the natural process of adapting a story that has over 3,000 pages.

You don't like it? That's fine! That's your opinion. As for the rest of the audience, they like it. Sales are up, amount of viewers is up, piracy is still increasing, it's still the highest pirated T.V. series. The reviews by both fans and critics are still high. Fact is, it's beating a lot of shows that are on regular/base cable. It is the highest viewed tv series for HBO.

No, Game of thrones would not have been adapted by any other studio. Considering there was an attempt that failed. I also would not hold my breathe on any remake of game of thrones. But please, if you want to go ahead. I'm sure that guy on the corner of the street who proclaims that the world is coming to an end will also be right eventually.

If you think that Game of thrones is not an adaption of ASOIAF, then by all means, Lord Of the Rings Trilogy is not considered the adaption to the novel. See, you can consider game of thrones whatever YOU WANT. The fact of the matter is, GRRM sold the rights so that ASOIAF can be adapted on screen. Was content cut? Will more content be excluded? yes, such is the natural process of adapting a story that has over 3,000 pages.

You don't like it? That's fine! That's your opinion. As for the rest of the audience, they like it. Sales are up, amount of viewers is up, piracy is still increasing, it's still the highest pirated T.V. series. The reviews by both fans and critics are still high. Fact is, it's beating a lot of shows that are on regular/base cable. It is the highest viewed tv series for HBO.

No, Game of thrones would not have been adapted by any other studio. Considering there was an attempt that failed

Do you honestly think D&D are just streamlining ASOIAF? Is Daznak Pit in the show really streamlined version of Daznak Pit from the books? Or Dorne in this sason? LOL! What streamlining it was! GOT is by far most unfaithful adaptation ever. "Apocalypse now" is more faithful adaptation of "Heart of darkness" and they changed entire era. LOTR is extremely faithful compared to GOT. Just like Elio half-jokingly said in that video, even Seinfeld is more faithful adaptation of ASOIAF than GOT. And you're right that its my opinion. But what is your opinion? That the show is very popular? Is that your opinion? Really just explain to me what do popularity have to do with anything. If we start debating Transformers are you going to hide behind their popularity? And I just checked and just so you know more critics liked Transformers than not. It is stated that Transformers received mixed to positive reviews from critics. So there, you have movie that is insanely popular and praised by majority of critics. Does that mean that it is good movie? LOL!

And if I may ask what do you mean by attempt that failed?

What is really terrible is watching D&D fanboys like you deluding themselves into thinking they are able to comprehend quality of the books. Your mindless apologia for the show is strong evidence that your taste for storytelling is very problematic. But what really was terrible day for ASOIAF is when two hacks were hired to adapt it for television. And also airing of every episode is some kind of terrible day for ASOIAF because it just attracts more people with terrible taste. Unfortunately this two hacks are for now only people who adapted ASOIAF so we have nothing that with which we could compare their work. We could compare it to the books but obviously you that is not task for you because you obviously didn't understand anything from the books and you are really not adequate to compare TV show you're fanboy of with books you don't understand. But hopefully someone else will do another adaptation of ASOIAF in near future and it will be fateful adaptation and then even blindmen like you won't be able to deny how shitty and stupid is the show D&D made.

From that post, you called me a fanboy, deluded, unable to understand the books(so stupid because they're not exactly complicated), with bad taste, inadequate to compare two things(so again, stupid), and blind. And I started the insults? Come on, not even you are that deluded.

Big difference between you and other posters is that you are incapable of having discussion with people you disagree with. Borodin is quite capable of that because he almost always discuss things with people that disagree with him. I am also capable of that. But you are not. You are obviously capable only for insulting posters you disagree with. Just like in this case you're insulting me personally which just shows how distasteful you really are. Just compare my approach and your approach and you will see difference. I said that your apologia is mindless and that your taste is problematic. You answered by saying that Im stupid. Almost every your post is neurotic and insulting and that is why you're ruining every discussion you jump in. You have nothing to contribute but insults and childish apologia of the show. and just so you know I don't have any reason to discuss the books with you because you don't deserve it. You are rude and you don't know how to discuss things in civil manner and you obviously have very poor understanding of the books and also of other people's posts. That is why I refuse to discuss the books with someone like you and not because I avoid that subject. For your information, I discussed books with many posters here and some of them strongly disagreed with me and they had many complaints about the books, but you are just not able to have meaningful conversation of that kind.

Aka Borodin completely agrees with you, and I don't. And opposing viewpoints are threatening to you, apparently.

You insulted me, so I responded in kind. I'd have loved to have a civil conversation with you. But you were apparently unable to post even once without doing so, so I gave it up as a lost cause. I'm curious though, why, if you refuse to discuss the books with "someone like me", you decided to respond to one of my posts(although I suppose when you start out heavily insulting someone its not really a discussion so maybe I'm just expecting too much from you).

And I didn't, actually, call you stupid(which calls into question you're supposed ability to understand other posts). Hypocrite or willfully ignorant are also perfectly acceptable answers; picking either one would mean taking the possibility of you being stupid off the table.

But you didn't answer my question, and you're post wasn't really helpful in it either. Willful ignorance, hypocrisy, and stupidity are all still equally likely. So, which?

(PS Look up neurotic before you use it next time. It clearly doesn't mean what you think it means.)

Do you honestly think D&D are just streamlining ASOIAF? Is Daznak Pit in the show really streamlined version of Daznak Pit from the books? Or Dorne in this sason? LOL! What streamlining it was! GOT is by far most unfaithful adaptation ever. "Apocalypse now" is more faithful adaptation of "Heart of darkness" and they changed entire era. LOTR is extremely faithful compared to GOT. Just like Elio half-jokingly said in that video, even Seinfeld is more faithful adaptation of ASOIAF than GOT. And you're right that its my opinion. But what is your opinion? That the show is very popular? Is that your opinion? Really just explain to me what do popularity have to do with anything. If we start debating Transformers are you going to hide behind their popularity? And I just checked and just so you know more critics liked Transformers than not. It is stated that Transformers received mixed to positive reviews from critics. So there, you have movie that is insanely popular and praised by majority of critics. Does that mean that it is good movie? LOL!

And if I may ask what do you mean by attempt that failed?

I'm not sure if it's you or some other poster. but you KEEP brining this transformations series comparision

Transformers is popular in terms of sales. Critics DON'T like it. Viewers DON'T like it. Do you honestly think telling me that because of ONE factor that a movie like transformers has in common with GOT that they have all other variables the same? Really? You can't possible convince anyone with that ludicrous comparison

LOTR has not been extremely faithful. Plenty things changed in terms of how many hours it was allowed to adapt. considering it's about 11 hours, about the length of one season, it didn't adapt very well. Hobbits on the other hand added about 6 hours out of 9 hours.

Lastly, I feel like i need to be a bit forward here. Despite what you think the show didn't adopt well to make you think ASOIAF is not an adaption; GRRM believes IT IS. Quite honestly, this very debate is laughable. You spit on the author when you say that. You understand GRRM even directed and WRITTEN some episodes. BUT yeah, totally not an adaption

I'm not sure if it's you or some other poster. but you KEEP brining this transformations series comparision

Transformers is popular in terms of sales. Critics DON'T like it. Viewers DON'T like it. Do you honestly think telling me that because of ONE factor that a movie like transformers has in common with GOT that they have all other variables the same? Really? You can't possible convince anyone with that ludicrous comparison

LOTR has not been extremely faithful. Plenty things changed in terms of how many hours it was allowed to adapt. considering it's about 11 hours, about the length of one season, it didn't adapt very well. Hobbits on the other hand added about 6 hours out of 9 hours.

Lastly, I feel like i need to be a bit forward here. Despite what you think the show didn't adopt well to make you think ASOIAF is not an adaption; GRRM believes IT IS.

Hey, just because the lowest GoT metacritic score is higher than the highest Transformers score by 19 points, you can add up the two lowest Transformers scores and still be 13 points lower than the lowest GoT season score, and the average scores of the GoT seasons are more than twice as high as the average score across the Transformers films doesn't mean they aren't both equally beloved.

From that post, you called me a fanboy, deluded, unable to understand the books(so stupid because they're not exactly complicated), with bad taste, inadequate to compare two things(so again, stupid), and blind. And I started the insults? Come on, not even you are that deluded.

Aka Borodin completely agrees with you, and I don't. And opposing viewpoints are threatening to you, apparently.

You insulted me, so I responded in kind. I'd have loved to have a civil conversation with you. But you were apparently unable to post even once without doing so, so I gave it up as a lost cause. I'm curious though, why, if you refuse to discuss the books with "someone like me", you decided to respond to one of my posts(although I suppose when you start out heavily insulting someone its not really a discussion so maybe I'm just expecting too much from you).

And I didn't, actually, call you stupid(which calls into question you're supposed ability to understand other posts). Hypocrite or willfully ignorant are also perfectly acceptable answers; picking either one would mean taking the possibility of you being stupid off the table.

But you didn't answer my question, and you're post wasn't really helpful in it either. Willful ignorance, hypocrisy, and stupidity are all still equally likely. So, which?

(PS Look up neurotic before you use it next time. It clearly doesn't mean what you think it means.)

Because Im not so good in English I "adapted" and "streamlined" your post but essentially yes you are right, you didn't exactly call me stupid. You gave me choice between hypocrite, ignorant and stupid. I just didn't want to repeat all three because you're not so good to be faithfully adapted. So I leave it to you to pick your insult. I don't care really because I wouldn't expect anything decent from you seeing how rude you are to everyone. And people like you can't really insult me. When you're as rude as you are all this time you are just revealing your true colors, nothing else. And to tell you honestly I am glad that rude people like you aren't book fans but show fans. It just proves how ridiculously stupid the show is.

I responded to your post because you were talking pure nonsense because you obviously can't recognize original creativity from non-original creativity. But of course you then responded back with even more nonsense and rudeness. So consider my mission failed.

And by the way neurotic among other things means unable to control yourself. Reading your posts... well... let's leave it at that.

But just to make me clear: Im really not interested in civil conversation with you or any conversation with you and I never was. I know that you are not capable of having conversation so I can't be interested in having one with you. That would be delusional. And you are actually proving that I was right.

Lastly, I feel like i need to be a bit forward here. Despite what you think the show didn't adopt well to make you think ASOIAF is not an adaption; GRRM believes IT IS. Quite honestly, this very debate is laughable. You spit on the author when you say that. You understand GRRM even directed and WRITTEN some episodes. BUT yeah, totally not an adaption

Do you have to be so literal? Instead of Transformers you can pick anything that is popular really. If you want television there is Lost for you. It was insanely popular and it received even higher critical praise because it won Emmy for the best series one year. But what does it prove? Does it means that Lost is good? It doesn't and it isn't. Lost is mediocre fun at best. It has nothing on Sopranos, Deadwood, Wire, Breaking Bad, Mad Men and so on. About quality GOT is more-less on level with Lost: flat characters, ridiculous plots, poor dialogue, but many action scenes and nice scenery and nice premise made for entertaining show. But there is huge difference: Lost was not adaptation. So we don't know if Lost could possibly be better than it was, but we do know GOT could have been much, much better than it is. And about GRRM, it clearly shows that you lack some basic input and you make things up as you go along. For your information, GRRM didn't direct any episode. He was writing episode per season until this year. and, funny, he stopped posting anything about the show on his site. And he won't be writing for the show any more. And his publisher openly expressed dissatisfaction with the show. And as many posters said during this season, he definitely didn't sign for this. He is betrayed by D&D and HBO. He is hardly first one ever because TV companies and movie companies do that all the time but yes he was betrayed and he acts accordingly while avoiding to escalate things. He distanced himself from the show and many of his associates distanced themselves from the show and many book fans are about to stop watching the show. And honestly GRRM was like the most supportive source author ever and the most tolerant one. When they managed to make him distance from them, I can only imagine how furious some less tolerant author would be.

Do you have to be so literal? Instead of Transformers you can pick anything that is popular really. If you want television there is Lost for you. It was insanely popular and it received even higher critical praise because it won Emmy for the best series one year. But what does it prove? Does it means that Lost is good? It doesn't and it isn't. Lost is mediocre fun at best. It has nothing on Sopranos, Deadwood, Wire, Breaking Bad, Mad Men and so on. About quality GOT is more-less on level with Lost: flat characters, ridiculous plots, poor dialogue, but many action scenes and nice scenery and nice premise made for entertaining show. But there is huge difference: Lost was not adaptation. So we don't know if Lost could possibly be better than it was, but we do know GOT could have been much, much better than it is. And about GRRM, it clearly shows that you lack some basic input and you make things up as you go along. For your information, GRRM didn't direct any episode. He was writing episode per season until this year. and, funny, he stopped posting anything about the show on his site. And he won't be writing for the show any more. And his publisher openly expressed dissatisfaction with the show. And as many posters said during this season, he definitely didn't sign for this. He is betrayed by D&D and HBO. He is hardly first one ever because TV companies and movie companies do that all the time but yes he was betrayed and he acts accordingly while avoiding to escalate things. He distanced himself from the show and many of his associates distanced themselves from the show and many book fans are about to stop watching the show. And honestly GRRM was like the most supportive source author ever and the most tolerant one. When they managed to make him distance from them, I can only imagine how furious some less tolerant author would be.

You are constantly shifting your argument. Transformers, no, you want to use Lost now, what's next? Again with Lost, it isn't GOT. It isn't on subscription based channel. In fact, when it was aired on free cable at the time. Lost did win an Emmy, on it's first season which despite what you say was viewed in good light by viewers and critics. Statistically, it was a good show, might not be as good as Sopranos or Deadwood but no one claimed that, so why bring that up again? Like what you are arguing is not even remotely what you stated.

I said that Game of Thrones is a success. You haven't disproved nothing. In fact, all the shows you name like BB, Sopranos. DW, Wire, MM..etc are successful as well. They all have generally superb rating by both viewers and critics. Like you trying to say that Lost isn't better than those shows are a joke, no one claimed that. They are successful and they are arguable very good shows BASED on said statistics.

Sorry, GRRM ONLY wrote some episodes. Like, totally not an adaptions. I know! GRRM said he will stop writing episodes for game of thrones because he needs to focus on his novels. I'd like to see where GRRM disapproves with the show please. Because just as easily, I can post links of him defending the show.

Lastly, I find it funny how you think the directors BETRAYED him. I think that's quite laughable. If anything, they did a great job adapting the novels. I also LOVE it when you include people like "book readers". Do tell, how did you come to that conclusion. You can imagine all you want how other authors would be. I would imagine that most authors would be grateful that both directors and the studio offered to adapt the novel into a tv series; one that they have not only adapted, but made it into a successful tv series. But, right, I'm sure GRRM is furious, so is Tolkien. For the record, that last few sentences of your post pretty much describes your view on this, not the authors, nor book readers.

You are constantly shifting your argument. Transformers, no, you want to use Lost now, what's next? Again with Lost, it isn't GOT. It isn't on subscription based channel. In fact, when it was aired on free cable at the time. Lost did win an Emmy, on it's first season which despite what you say was viewed in good light by viewers and critics. Statistically, it was a good show, might not be as good as Sopranos or Deadwood but no one claimed that, so why bring that up again? Like what you are arguing is not even remotely what you stated.

I said that Game of Thrones is a success. You haven't disproved nothing. In fact, all the shows you name like BB, Sopranos. DW, Wire, MM..etc are successful as well. They all have generally superb rating by both viewers and critics. Like you trying to say that Lost isn't better than those shows are a joke, no one claimed that. They are successful and they are arguable very good shows BASED on said statistics.

Sorry, GRRM ONLY wrote some episodes. Like, totally not an adaptions. I know! GRRM said he will stop writing episodes for game of thrones because he needs to focus on his novels. I'd like to see where GRRM disapproves with the show please. Because just as easily, I can post links of him defending the show.

Lastly, I find it funny how you think the directors BETRAYED him. I think that's quite laughable. If anything, they did a great job adapting the novels. I also LOVE it when you include people like "book readers". Do tell, how did you come to that conclusion. You can imagine all you want how other authors would be. I would imagine that most authors would be grateful that both directors and the studio offered to adapt the novel into a tv series; one that they have not only adapted, but made it into a successful tv series. But, right, I'm sure GRRM is furious, so is Tolkien. For the record, that last few sentences of your post pretty much describes your view on this, not the authors, nor book readers.

You offer only one argument: that the show is successful. That is everything you keep saying. And all I wanted is to remind you that being successful is really not same as being good. If you want to ignore it fine, but that is what Im saying and its very obvious. And by the way Im not denying that GOT is successful show. How could I when it really is successful. What Im saying is that GOT is very successful show and very stupid show. Just like many shows and many movies are very successful and very stupid at the same time. So GOT is nothing new in that. What Im also saying is that proper, more faithful adaptation would be very successful and very intelligent. Do you understand now? Its not about Transformers or Lost, those are just examples. It is about stupid shows against intelligent shows. GOT is stupid show because of all stupidity in it (you can go through Rant and Rave threads and see how many ridiculous plot holes there is in every single episode). Faithful adaptation wouldn't be stupid at all, on opposite it would be very intelligent. And based on popularity of the books it would also be successful. But I see that you really are confused about what comes before what it you think GRRM has to be grateful to those two hacks for butchering his story. Just to check something: you do know that the books were very successful even before the show? Or you just think that entire world has to be grateful to D&D?

LOL these arguments remind me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CLCOvZOh1o

Link doesn't work but please copy and paste it's brilliant, and I admit I'm exactly like this.

Oh link does work, even better

:cheers:

That was quite funny. Exactly how I feel too! :P

I felt like I needed to split your post

You offer only one argument: that the show is successful. That is everything you keep saying. And all I wanted is to remind you that being successful is really not same as being good. If you want to ignore it fine, but that is what Im saying and its very obvious. And by the way Im not denying that GOT is successful show. How could I when it really is successful. What Im saying is that GOT is very successful show and very stupid show. Just like many shows and many movies are very successful and very stupid at the same time. So GOT is nothing new in that. What Im also saying is that proper, more faithful adaptation would be very successful and very intelligent. Do you understand now? Its not about Transformers or Lost, those are just examples. It is about stupid shows against intelligent shows.

Haha so we are moving onto this, huh? Successful is not good. Succesful in what terms? We already went through this it's just that you don't seem to understand it. You already said Transformers is sucessful and the you said it sucked. I told you, yes, it made plenty of money, plenty of people watched it. The difference is, the rating from both viewers and critics kept going down. GoT on the other hand is sucesfful in almost every way possible. It's watched a lot, it's the most watched show in HBO's history. It's the most pirated TV Show. It has good reviews by both critics and viewers. The numbers in terms of pirating, amount of viewers has only increased. I would say that that if you can't say that the show is good, you are likely being in denial. This is the same way to determine if those shows you names like MM, Wire, BB, Sopranos are both successful and good. If you think GoT isn't good, that's great, that is your opinion, but the general audience thinks it's great. This is undeniable. Also, can you name these shows and movies? Clearly, you can't hence, you made sure to dodge it by not even stating what.

GOT is stupid show because of all stupidity in it (you can go through Rant and Rave threads and see how many ridiculous plot holes there is in every single episode). Faithful adaptation wouldn't be stupid at all, on opposite it would be very intelligent. And based on popularity of the books it would also be successful. But I see that you really are confused about what comes before what it you think GRRM has to be grateful to those two hacks for butchering his story. Just to check something: you do know that the books were very successful even before the show? Or you just think that entire world has to be grateful to D&D?

GOT is stupid. ACCORDING TO WHO? You? The book readers? Can you please explain.

What you are saying now is adjusted am assuming. Now you do agree that GOT is an adaption to the novel? Can I also assume that you are looking for that link where GRRM disapproves of the show and how he is distancing himself from the show because it's bad, and that D&D betrayed him.

[snip]

I agree with you but I think it's rather a case of Martin feeling betrayed rather than being betrayed (as far as we know). We don't know (yet) what kind of agreement they had first.

I also find funny how many bring the argument of "who cares? He was paid!". I suppose those people are lucky enough to have never seen your work being misused. It doesn't matter how much you are paid, it does hurt (to some at least).

Look for example, the case of bookJP vs movieJP. While it does have big differences, it keeps one main thing: the theme. While book fans and movie fans now have a different opinion of John Hammond (because the portrayals are very much the opposite of each other), I think they all agree on what the books and franchise are about, which is the main concern of the author: "would you do it just because you can or not?".

The themes in GoT are nothing like the themes in ASOIAF (and I'm being generous because GoT has no themes at all). I think mostly authors are ok. with changes in their books as long as the message remains. What's the message that remains in GoT from ASOIAF? "Anyone can die"?. I doubt that's the intention of GRRM and it's a valid reason for him to be mad.

GRRM is not the only one. Many authors have feel like this over the years, but I suppose some of them can't really talk about it for professionals reasons. Some others have been lucky enough to being able to talk about it and point out that the adaptations made of their books have been hideous. I mean, google "authors that hated movie adaptations" and we have a long list. I mean, they are the parents of the stories, why should we treat their feelings like they don't matter? :dunno:

Archived