GRRM reading a new chapter on 21.6.2015 in Hamburg/Germany

shaggy_rick

The guy with the grey beard?

I was the middle aged redhead, not very tall, like Sibel Kekili

We might have to have swap pics. ;o)

No, I'm blonde. And I have a mustache and a goatie in red-blonde.

:D

Why do Germans hate Tyrion, btw?

:eek:

I don't hate Tyrion! If I did... the very thought of it.

:D

Why do Germans hate Tyrion, btw?

IRONY

From dinner table debates with friends and from German forums it appears that Tyrion as character is very much liked here.

That may be the nerdy underdog appeal. (At least the left wing liberals around me sympathise with outsiders while having their perfectly stewed more or less vegetarian boeuf bourguignon from local animal friendly farmers together ;) ) Here the average ASOIAF and GOT fan appears to be slightly higher educated than in those parts of the world where English is the native tongue since before the show made the books mainstream most fans here read them in their original language. Obviously you need at least a little bit of school and university qualification to read thick books like that in a foreign tongue.

So the average fan is more nerdy here, more willing to enter complicated stories and feels drawn to complex, book loving and nerdy heroes. And is maybe a little older, I for example still had to fight through LOTR in English when I was eighteen or twenty years old, I needed some determination.

IRONY

From dinner table debates with friends and from German forums it appears that Tyrion as character is very much liked here.

That may be the nerdy underdog appeal. (At least the left wing liberals around me sympathise with outsiders while having their perfectly stewed more or less vegetarian boeuf bourguignon from local animal friendly farmers together ;) ) Here the average ASOIAF and GOT fan appears to be slightly higher educated than in those parts of the world where English is the native tongue since before the show made the books mainstream most fans here read them in their original language. Obviously you need at least a little bit of school and university qualification to read thick books like that in a foreign language.

So the average fan is more nerdy here, more willing to enter complicated strories and feels drawn to complex, book loving and nerdy heroes. And is maybe a little older, I for example still ad to fight through LOTR in English when I was eighteen or twenty years old, I needed some determination.

But still, the TV show is quite popular, so many many people know and love Tyrion from the show and others.

I know a few people who read the books in English and German, but nearly all of my friends know the show and/or have watched it, but didn't read the books ;)

Ich finde es immer noch nicht =/ Hmpf... Im Morgenmagazin ging es nur um Griechenland, Sport und sowas...

Es kam nach Griechenland, aber vielleicht war es denen nicht wichtig genug, um es in die Mediathek zu stecken, tut mir leid.

But still, the TV show is quite popular, so many many people know and love Tyrion from the show and others.

I know a few people who read the books in English and German, but nearly all of my friends know the show and/or have watched it, but didn't read the books ;)

I guess it's the Dinklage effect, he is extremely popular here. - and rightfully so.

Es kam nach Griechenland, aber vielleicht war es denen nicht wichtig genug, um es in die Mediathek zu stecken, tut mir leid.

Ich schaue mal, ob sie es vielleicht ohne Kapitelunterteilung drangepackt haben... Nicht wichtig genug, pff...

Mh, I still prefer the greyish and more nuanced book Tyrion. He is just TOO cool in the show for my taste... I like characters with some flaws...

Edit: Nope, it is not in there... If I had known that before, I would have recorded it...

Ich schaue mal, ob sie es vielleicht ohne Kapitelunterteilung drangepackt haben... Nicht wichtig genug, pff...

Mh, I still prefer the greyish and more nuanced book Tyrion. He is just TOO cool in the show for my taste... I like characters with some flaws...

I prefer book Tyrion as well because the character is so much more rich and complex. Though Dinklage is brilliant he could have been even more than outstanding if they had given him more of Tyrion's descent into very dark emotional areas and had shown more of his personal issues before. No, I do not expect someone to behave sane, reasonable and easy to digest, only with a small alcohol problem, if this person has just killed his father and his lover.

I would love it if the show made maximum use of Dinklage's acting abilities when they have an actor like that.

Too bad the feature is not there

Perhaps someone here can answer this?

To those who attended, a small question, if you can still remember, that is..

In the sample chapter that had been posted on GRRM's website, it was stated that

It had been Doran who had acted after Oberyn's duel against Yronwood.

Can anyone who was there remember whether that is indeed still the case? That it had been Doran, and not his mother?

"That were like 18 pages of manuscript. Now I only have to write about 1480 more and I have a book..." - #GeorgeRRMartin #WindsofWinter

https://twitter.com/serieslyAWESOME/status/612692890117099520

He was just making a joke it seems.

This could actually be a good thing...leaves open the possibility that he needs a lot less than 480 pages. So we can continue to desperately hope that he can get TWOW out before S6.

:bawl: thank you! Thank you, thank you, than you. You will never know the relief I felt reading this.

:bawl: thank you! Thank you, thank you, than you. You will never know the relief I felt reading this.

Really? You were DISAPPOINTED to learn that he might have 1020 manuscript pages written?

He might not have nearly that many. His submitted total, only a year ago, was only 168 pages; and probably not too much written beyond that. 800 pages in a year sounds like excellent progress to me. If only it were true.

Really? You were DISAPPOINTED to learn that he might have 1020 manuscript pages written?

He might not have nearly that many. His submitted total, only a year ago, was only 168 pages; and probably not too much written beyond that. 800 pages in a year sounds like excellent progress to me. If only it were true.

I was disappointed to learn season 6 might be out before winds. I was relieved that the poster pointed out winds being out first is still a possibility.

I was disappointed to learn season 6 might be out before winds. I was relieved that the poster pointed out winds being out first is still a possibility.

But we already knew that might happen. And if he had really completed 800 pages in the past year, then one could hope he could complete 500 in the next six or seven months (in the past, his productivity has tended to pick up when he's on the home stretch). Not to mention the fact that if he has 1000 pages complete, he could probably go ahead and publish before season 6 anyway, regardless of what further progress he may make.

When I heard the news, I thought 1000 pages done sounded too good to be true.

Any chance that TWoW will be released in two parts and the first one coming before Season 6 is aired?

Has he ever done that before? I think the real reason he's in a rush to get it out before season 6 is because of the reveal of R+L=J. He probably wants his version to be first, not game of thrones version.

So if the first half reveals this fact, perhaps.

But we already knew that might happen. And if he had really completed 800 pages in the past year, then one could hope he could complete 500 in the next six or seven months (in the past, his productivity has tended to pick up when he's on the home stretch). Not to mention the fact that if he has 1000 pages complete, he could probably go ahead and publish before season 6 anyway, regardless of what further progress he may make.

When I heard the news, I thought 1000 pages done sounded too good to be true.

Oh. Sorry I didn't know about all of this, I only heard that 480 pages would be a good mark for a year's work.

Has he ever done that before? I think the real reason he's in a rush to get it out before season 6 is because of the reveal of R+L=J. He probably wants his version to be first, not game of thrones version.

So if the first half reveals this fact, perhaps.

He didnot do that, and I don't know if the publisher will be willing to do that.

But considering that R+L=J is his big mystery that he adamantly defended so long, he must feel like he should be the one to reveal it first.

But it was a joke, he didn't say 480 but 1480, so we have no better idea how close he is to finishing than we did before, right? Of course his schedule appears to be that of a guy who is finished with the book, elsewise why isn't he furiously writing to make sure it's out before HBO's next season? Or, it's that of a guy who has given up trying to finish before the season and may now be on the 7 year plan.

Archived