Common things you Misremember

The Dames do Moan

And, worst of all, I have, more than once, forgotten the name of the second book and had to look at the shelf or pull up a browser. I have no idea why; there's nothing forgettable about A Clash of Kings compared to, say, A Storm of Swords.

I actually have that problem with aSoS, despite it being my favorite.

I often forget the ages of most of the characters tbh. In my head they are closer to the age they appear to be in the show.

Yeah, this. Even before the show I pictured a lot of the characters as older and then the show just kinda reinforced that in my head.

The map. I always look at the map before I read a fantasy book, but for some reason reading them has given me the impression that the Eyrie is west of King's Landing, but that's actually where Casterly Rock is, which I imagine being southeast of King's Landing, but that's where Storm's End is, which I imagine as north of King's Landing, but that's where the Eyrie is... GAH!

Kept imagining Eastwatch-by-the-sea being in the west. No idea why, but always imagined it on the left hand side of a map. Only recently been able to get it in my head that's in, y'know, the East.

Similarly, I often forget that the Westerlands are IN THE WEST and fool myself believing its in the East where the Vale is. Then after 2 minutes, I remember its called Westerlands and in the west.

I always forget that the Iron Islands are in the West and not in the East. I just picture them closer to Essos, I have no Idea why.

Mb because of show, where Asha floated upriver to dreadfort?

I see Bran and Rickon Stark-like, not Tully.

Also, I've always thought that Howland Reed has zero magical talent. While he is implied to have some.

I see Bran and Rickon Stark-like, not Tully.

I have the same problem.

I imagine Missandei and sometimes Dany with Central Asian features and Thoros of Myr as Persian.

Always forget that Edric Storm has Baratheon looks. He has wavy brown hair in my mind. Daario also has brown hair.

Embarassingly, on my first read I kept forgetting Sandor. Between ACoK and ASoS I've completely forgot about him.

I thought Dornish Marches were swampy (because words 'marches' and 'marshes' look similar).

I get a surprise every time Jalabhar Xho and the Redwyne twins are mentioned. They feel more like furniture than characters and I always forget about their existence as soon as they are off-screen.

I picture most of the characters significantly older than they are: Tyrion, Sandor, Brienne and the Stark kids in particular, and get surprised when their age is brought up.

When someone talks about last winter or the harvest, I forget that they are not talking about last year/season, especially in books 2-4, in which the odd seasonality of Westeros hasn't been mentioned much.

I could only read about a chapter or two every few days so it sometimes took weeks before I got to the same POV again. It usually took me half of the chapter or more to remind myself again who all these supporting characters in each of the storyline were. It was relatively OK in the first two books, just about manageable in ASoS but I started to get really lost in AFfC/ADwD. Not only is the supporting cast around each POV changes a lot because lot of them travels but the new minor characters are for the most part really bland and not memorable at all, particularly in Meereen and Dorne. Must be one of the reasons why I struggled with the last two books and didn't enjoy them nearly as much as the first.

Archived