Common things you Misremember

The Dames do Moan

This:

I always have to remind myself that Barristan doesn't have a beard in ADWD.

And I can never remember about JonCon's red beard because apparently I have aids for a brain.

______________________________________________________________________________________

This:

Tyrion's mismatched eyes

I also forget about his nose all the time

This:

Dany going bald

And the boob showing dresses in Qarth as well

This:

Always forget that Edric Storm has Baratheon looks.

(I picture him Macauley Culkin-ish for absolutely no good reason)

This:

Also, I only feel solid on about six Targaryens. Similar names are my downfall.

Aegon and Aemon especially, even though I've been struggling way less with this one.

This:

I gave up on the Mereenese names.

Hzzpzzlyzzzzcyzzz = every single name in ghiscari in my head

And just ages in general, especially Oberyn and Ned.

I think we are told he has dark hair at some point. I read traslated books, might be wrong.

We know that when Bran compares Robb and Jon in his first chapter he refers to Robb as "fair" and Jon as "dark". SInce both likely have the same or similar skintone, I assume Bran was talking about their hair and eyes: bright blue and bright auburn compared to dark grey and dark brown. I don't really know if we get a specific description of Jon's hair as dark brown but that's what I've always assumed.

Like this: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/images/f/fb/MKomarck_JonSnowLC_II.jpg

Or this: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/images/e/e2/Jon_Snow_Amoka.jpg

I always forget about the random people at court in Kings Landing. Gyles Rosby and Jalabhar Xho in particular. Like I remember Jalabhar Xho vaguely through my first read and I only remember Gyles Rosby because he was appointed master of coin. Then on my second read I saw their names just about in every book and I was like how on earth did I not see them before?

It isn't? 😱

no, the Vale is east (or rather north-east) of the Riverlands, north of King's Landing. :)

I always forget about the random people at court in Kings Landing. Gyles Rosby and Jalabhar Xho in particular. Like I remember Jalabhar Xho vaguely through my first read and I only remember Gyles Rosby because he was appointed master of coin. Then on my second read I saw their names just about in every book and I was like how on earth did I not see them before?

I have very hard time remembering some of the very minor characters. Not just in King's Landing. Everytime someone like that is on scene, I'm like "Who's that? And why do they act as if he appeared in the story before?". I'm still ashamed as hell that when I first read the books, I totally forgot about Barristan and when Daenerys learned his true identity and everyone was like "omg, that's the legendary Barristan Selmy!", my only thought was "who?". As the conversation went on I remembered hazily that there was a person forced to quit the Kingsguard. Sad, I know.

So many east/west confusions here, and I'm glad to see them! I thought it was just me, and only because I make the same mistake in real life as well. (I once drove from Orlando to Tampa instead of Dayton to watch the sun rise over the water. Since then, to remind myself which way is which, I sing the Fozzie Bear line, "Hey I've never seen the sun come up in the west" out loud, and that straightens me out.)

I wonder if there is something inherent in the story or world of ASoIaF that makes it confusing even to normal people?

I want to say its something in the story...only because I'm usually really good with cardinal directions as I have worked and live in boats for years and do a fair amount of navigation, so it is slightly embarrassing to mix it up!

So let's blame something about the Asoiaf world map being funny rather than blaming ourselves:-)

Anything involving the Ironborn. ALL I remember is blah blah blah, drowned God, blah blah blah, Kingsmoot.

Yes. Uggghh! Enough about the kingsmoot already!!!

I thought Dornish Marches were swampy (because words 'marches' and 'marshes' look similar).

Um, yeah. I pictured them as marshes until... just now. :blushing:

Brynden's by the Black brothers in the woods.

Thats how I remember it ha.

LOL. Nice! Thank you!!

Harzoos. And with that i mean every slaver in the books

Yeah, I don't even try with those. "Harzoo" is one of my favorite lines. Love the Big Man.

We know that when Bran compares Robb and Jon in his first chapter he refers to Robb as "fair" and Jon as "dark". SInce both likely have the same or similar skintone, I assume Bran was talking about their hair and eyes: bright blue and bright auburn compared to dark grey and dark brown. I don't really know if we get a specific description of Jon's hair as dark brown but that's what I've always assumed.

Like this: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/images/f/fb/MKomarck_JonSnowLC_II.jpg

Or this: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/images/e/e2/Jon_Snow_Amoka.jpg

I also have impression that Bran describe Jon as tanned. But, I guess I'm wrong.

Archived