GOT - A reasoned critique

Zyxw

Sansa was fourteen in season three. According to Myrcella, it's been years. So that means approximately more than two years have passed. In this case, Sansa being around seventeen makes sense.

Myrcella traveled to Dorne in season 2. A year could have passed between 2 and 3, meaning, using only Myrcella's "years" comment as evidence, Sansa can just as likely be 15.

Myrcella traveled to Dorne in season 2. A year could have passed between 2 and 3, meaning, using only Myrcella's "years" comment as evidence, Sansa can just as likely be 15.

If a year passed between seasons two and three, then each year must be one season. Sansa would be 16-17, but not 15. And the way Myrcella says "years" implies that she's been there for several years.

Two years could've passed between S2 & S5 which would still be YEARS.

Before the Red Wedding, Talisa tells Robb that two years have passed since the War of the Five Kings started. This means approximately a year per season (especially when you take travel distance into account).

I think that each season represents a 'lose' year. Some things, like Gilly's eternal infant, contradict this but overall its about a year.

Season 3/4 is where it really stuffed up because there was so much plot in ASoS that took place over a small timeframe.

If Sansa was 14 in Season 3, when she married Tyrion, I would say she is 16ish in Season 5. 15 at a minimum, 17 at a maximum.

Trying to provide an exact timeline and ages was a bad decision on GRRMs behalf, not D&Ds. It would have been best just to leave all of this to the imagination and never include ages in the text, as GRRM is on record as saying he doesn't want fans to get bogged down in the exactness of distances and timelines. Obviously this is a story where the need for drama supersedes the need for absolute accuracy - so GRRM should never have eluded to accuracy in the first place by giving distinct ages for any of the characters.

If a year passed between seasons two and three, then each year must be one season. Sansa would be 16-17, but not 15. And the way Myrcella says "years" implies that she's been there for several years.

No, it doesn't mean that at all. There doesn't have to be a pattern. One season could be one year while another could be 2 weeks.

No, it doesn't mean that at all. There doesn't have to be a pattern. One season could be one year while another could be 2 weeks.

Yes, it does. Travelling takes time. Contrary to popular belief, characters aren't using jetpacks to travel from King's Landing to the Eyrie, then to Winterfell and then back to King's Landing. And then you also have to take into account the amount of time a character spends at a place.

Before the Red Wedding, Talisa tells Robb that two years have passed since the War of the Five Kings started. This means approximately a year per season (especially when you take travel distance into account).

Not necessarily; we know for a fact that the passage of time for season 4 is > 3 months (well, at least for the KL arc if you wish to view this show in a non-linear narrative).

ETA: in the episode following Talisa's statement, Dany goes on to contradict that statement by saying "A year ago I had no dragons" which, you know, was in season 1.

Trying to guess how much time passes between episodes and seasons has been a lost cause since season 1, episode 1. The 'Jon Arryn' raven reaches WF with news of his death and that the king is travelling to WF. He gets from KL to WF in the same episode and no one complained, but when LF leaves from WF in one episode and gets to KL in the next episode, its due to his jetpack. And this is only one example to go along with others listed upthread.

Time and distance in this show are just not worth getting worked up over, the inconsistencies have been there from the beginning and its not about to change now.

Trying to guess how much time passes between episodes and seasons has been a lost cause since season 1, episode 1. The 'Jon Arryn' raven reaches WF with news of his death and that the king is travelling to WF. He gets from KL to WF in the same episode and no one complained, but when LF leaves from WF in one episode and gets to KL in the next episode, its due to his jetpack. And this is only one example to go along with others listed upthread.

Time and distance in this show are just not worth getting worked up over, the inconsistencies have been there from the beginning and its not about to change now.

In the Pilot, it's explicitly stated that Bobby B and co have been travelling for a month.

Yes, it does. Travelling takes time. Contrary to popular belief, characters aren't using jetpacks to travel from King's Landing to the Eyrie, then to Winterfell and then back to King's Landing. And then you also have to take into account the amount of time a character spends at a place.

So season 4 was a year? That would be a year of Arya and the Hound traveling from the Riverlands to the Vale even though it only takes a month to travel from Winterfell to KL. A year of Ygritte and the other wildlings traveling to the Wall. A year of Tyrion sitting in a cell awaiting trial and sentencing. A year of Tommen as king. Provide a link where it states every season takes a year.

In the Pilot, it's explicitly stated that Bobby B and co have been travelling for a month.

I'll take your word for it, as I haven't watched it in quite a while. Though that does go to show that a month can pass in just a few scenes of only one episode, so trying to make a standard of measure for passing time on the show between episodes and seasons is extremely difficult.

The simplest answer is usually the correct one.

The show has no internal consistency because the showrunners don't care about things like that. They know the Unsullied who watch at aren't going to notice that sort of thing.

So, yeah, Sansa was 14 near the end of season 3, season 4 took place over the course of a couple fortnights (two weeks), then Sansa is 17 in season 5.

Ergo, Brienne spent three years hanging around outside the Eyrie whining that she lost Arya before stumbling into Sansa; and Tyrion definitely spent three years locked in that crate shoving his shit through a little hole. Which begs the question: How will Varys' dwarf-in-a-box feces fetish influence the race for the Iron Throne?

This has nothing to do with internal consistency and everything to do with saying that Sansa Stark is 18 next year. D&D know how their bread is buttered.

^Tyrion asks Sansa her age on their wedding night? 14, towards the end of season 3.

There are several time references in KL in season 4. I've been back for a month. Trial will be in a fortnight, executed on the morrow. Things like that, without going back and rewatching them that's the best I can do.

17 in season 5 is the game of thrones wiki, not Wikipedia.

The wiki could be wrong and next year they might reference her character being 15 or something. But I'm calling it right now: despite all the obvious inconsistencies they will make her 18 next year so they can get her out of her clothes in season 6.

If the actress is happy to take her clothes off and it makes the network money - I don't get what the issue is. It's between the actress and the network.

The issue isn't when someone goes naked (so long as they are over 18 and old enough to consent IRL) - the issue is trying to give exact ages to the characters in story. Does it matter?

How old was Dany at the start of Season 1? I imagined she was supposed to be 15-16, without having read the books and knowing she was supposed to be 13 (well, perhaps 15 in show). The point is it is best just not to qualify it - let the viewer decide how old they think she is supposed to be, let the viewer determine their own passage of time. The passage of time in the books is not absolute, or seamless, either - it's not the kind of story where time is ultimately relevant.

Look how ridiculously bogged down GRRM himself got worrying about how to age characters up - tied himself in Merenese knots :D If he never qualified ages at the start, he wouldn't have to age up, would he? The characters would just be as old as the story needs them to be and the reader accepts.

^Doesn't bother me at all if Sophie gets her clothes off, but its worth noting that once again D&D are prioritizing gratuitous nudity over consistency. And the tortured logic we again will be subjected to in order to aggressively sexualize Sansa. Hopefully they won't rape her again.

Also, I called it first. When it happens I want credit.

I assume Dany was 18 (in the show) during the first season.

Not necessarily; we know for a fact that the passage of time for season 4 is > 3 months (well, at least for the KL arc if you wish to view this show in a non-linear narrative).

ETA: in the episode following Talisa's statement, Dany goes on to contradict that statement by saying "A year ago I had no dragons" which, you know, was in season 1.

That just means the timeline is way out of order.

So season 4 was a year? That would be a year of Arya and the Hound traveling from the Riverlands to the Vale even though it only takes a month to travel from Winterfell to KL. A year of Ygritte and the other wildlings traveling to the Wall. A year of Tyrion sitting in a cell awaiting trial and sentencing. A year of Tommen as king. Provide a link where it states every season takes a year.

The events of season 3 take place in 300 AL (Talisa's statement near the end of season 3 about it being 2 years since the War of the Five Kings: 298 AL).

The events of season 4 take place in 301 AL (near the end of season 4, Littlefinger says it's been 20 years since Robert's Rebellion: 281 AL).

So yeah, each season is a year. This would mean season 5 takes place sometime in 302 AL.

The events of season 4 take place in 301 AL (near the end of season 4, Littlefinger says it's been 20 years since Robert's Rebellion: 281 AL).

But didn't establish that it was more year since RR in the show that in the books (s1 i think)? So that the characters are somehow a bit older at the beginning in the show.

But didn't establish that it was more year since RR in the show that in the books (s1 i think)? So that the characters are somehow a bit older at the beginning in the show.

That was only done to make the characters older in the show. In the beginning of the show, Sansa was 13. In the books, she was 11. As of season 5, Sansa is 17.

Archived