Why did George make the slavers in SB so atrocious?

Mithras

Martin clearly put that little detail in (a long with so many others) so we'd have a visceral reaction and hate them as much as possible.

Exactly. The most likely reason for this is that Martin wants to make Dany look good.

ok agreed, by exterminate I really meant; beat them in a war. Exterminate their way of life.

Fine. Do the same in SB. Exterminate their way of life. Dont exterminate them as people.

Think about it Suzanna, and leave the path to the Darkside :).

No it's not, we were talking about slavers, white walkers and orcs. There is no comparison between them and 5 or so Targaryens. Valyrians were already wiped out.

Would you have killed the romans? Since they were slavers.

No it's not, we were talking about slavers, white walkers and orcs. There is no comparison between them and 5 or so Targaryens. Valyrians were already wiped out.

Except Targs still pose the threat of war and then eventually war with dragons on Westeros. Targs potential claim allows them to garner support and armies. This is a legitimate threat in feudal societies. Targs aren't a race, but it's still along the same lines as you are indiscriminately wiping out an entire group based on them identifying as part of that group despite the differences between individuals within.

Fine. Do the same in SB. Exterminate their way of life. Dont exterminate them as people.

Think about it Suzanna, and leave the path to the Darkside :).

LOL this is hilarious. Ok guys I'm out of here. Have fun with your pals the Ghiscari, they are awesome, they deserve to live, no punishment necessary for 1000's of years of the worst shit anyone could imagine. I hope you guys build them a shrine and mourn their loss after WoW is published. Clearly the mustache twirling murdering kidnappers are worthy of all this defense. It's obvious that the choices in SB are, let slavery ensue or kill the slavers. Only 2 options, you guys have made it clear which side you chose but I am obviously the one on the 'dark side'. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is barbarity." -- Robespierre

Reign of Terror, Fire and Blood

Oh someone is in his rebellious phase. It will go away ;).

LOL this is hilarious. Ok guys I'm out of here. Have fun with your pals the Ghiscari, they are awesome, they deserve to live, no punishment necessary for 1000's of years of the worst shit anyone could imagine. I hope you guys build them a shrine and mourn their loss after WoW is published. Clearly the mustache twirling murdering kidnappers are worthy of all this defense. It's obvious that the choices in SB are, let slavery ensue or kill the slavers. Only 2 options, you guys have made it clear which side you chose but I am obviously the one on the 'dark side'. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You're a bit of a radical it seems.

You see :). My abilities to see the future like Muadib are getting better and better. Sooner or later someone would call me pro-slavery / pro-slaver. Rather soon actually.

There are more options than 2. Ie : the path Danaerys already wisely chosen before eventually changing her mind in last chapter.

Simply societies don't change in 3 days or months. In some countries it took one century to go from official end of esclavage to official end of segregation, and it's even rumored some inequalities are subsisting half more a century after..

Oh someone is in his rebellious phase. It will go away ;).

Haha...I'm 47. When I was in my rebellious phase, I was a College Republican. :)

Anyway, I'm not a radical. But you're not going to get a free society in Slaver's Bay without utterly destroying the institutions of slavery, starting with the Great Master class. That doesn't mean they all have to die, but it will be violent. The conditions for a peaceful transition simply do not exist.

Daenerys will too!

"We all have it coming, kid." -- William Munny

Let's hope so.

What Dany has to do to stop slavery is to provide a different, viable system. So far she could barely do that, and it parallels the way the US treated the middle east. I think this is intentional.

There are more options than 2. Ie : the path Danaerys already wisely chosen before eventually changing her mind in last chapter.

Simply societies don't change in 3 days or months. In some countries it took one century to go from official end of esclavage to official end of segregation, and it's even rumored some inequalities are subsisting half more a century after..

You mean the path where slowly bit by bit Meereen was turning back into a slave city?

Haha...I'm 47. When I was in my rebellious phase, I was a College Republican. :)

Anyway, I'm not a radical. But you're not going to get a free society in Slaver's Bay without utterly destroying the institutions of slavery, starting with the Great Master class. That doesn't mean they all have to die, but it will be violent. The conditions for a peaceful transition simply do not exist.

If it cannot be done peacefully, then the time is not yet ripe. The cities would just revert a few years later.

This would be like killing all the nobles in the eleventh century, and saying "Okay you're all going to have democracy now, good luck" And then running off.

Archived