Constructive criticism for D&D

Dalpha

Do you even watch the show? He does know how to place guards which is why he says 'they must have been asleep or working with the Boltons'. He then orders the remaining guards executed.

Yeah, I watch the show.  Thanks for asking.

And let's see, then what happens?  Oh right.  The new set of guards again utterly fail to notice half his army and all the horses leaving. 

Again, the only way you would know it is the same prop is if you actually go back and rewatch and freeze frame on Sansa's necklace on season 1 and then compare it to the one inthe Vipers jaws in season 5.  I am guessing 99% of the shows viewers did not do this only the 1% of viewers that are looking to something complain about.

Which I did, and they are identical.

http://kissdbyfire.tumblr.com/post/117015692023/hey-cersei-you-forgot-the-one-joffrey-gave-to

http://kissdbyfire.tumblr.com/post/117015355343/there-are-only-two-like-it-in-the-world-the-one

Come on, it was a terrible episode.
If GoT is 'the greatest show on earth', it must live up to the title. Continuity is important, especially in regards to a major point like this. That stupid necklace is why Jaime went to Dorne, and the gods only know how many other things will be developed based on that.

I find it extremely hard to believe that a show with such a great crew has an idiot doing continuity. So there must be another explanation. The fact remains, it' was a very avoidable mistake, and it wasn't avoided. Like Mel's horse.

I find it extremely hard to believe that a show with such a great crew has an idiot doing continuity. So there must be another explanation. The fact remains, it' was a very avoidable mistake, and it wasn't avoided. Like Mel's horse.

Small mistakes and continuity errors always happen. Isn't the real question why do some people let it get to them so much? It didn't ruin my total enjoyment of the books when GRRM made continuity errors. It's a mindset. 

' they didn’t particularly want actors coming to the scripts from the book, always suggesting what the book did and how it was different – I could see the glazed look in their eyes when that happened.”

Can't blame them. Most be fucking tedious having a line of actors going 'but in the books I do this!'

Small mistakes and continuity errors always happen. Isn't the real question why do some people let it get to them so much? It didn't ruin my total enjoyment of the books when GRRM made continuity errors. It's a mindset.

I know what you're saying. I'll admit I have a huge problem with things like continuity mistakes, especially one where so much of the plot hinges on. I find them very hard to forgive, especially a show with the budget GoT has, plus HBO behind it. And it wasn't the only one. I imagine that if I'd liked series 5 it wouldn't bother me as much. Alas, I didn't like series 5, so something that would be a minor nitpick becomes a huge annoyance.

' they didn’t particularly want actors coming to the scripts from the book, always suggesting what the book did and how it was different – I could see the glazed look in their eyes when that happened.”

Can't blame them. Most be fucking tedious having a line of actors going 'but in the books I do this!'

But it would be so easy to avoid that kind of thing. Just tell the whole cast right off the bat that many changes will be made, so don't expect your character to be exactly like in the books. I understand some actors prefer not to read the source material and approach their characters from a fresh, script only perspective, but others don't. Why not at least leave it to each individual to decide which is the approach that suits them best instead?

It shows they don't care about adapting GRRM's work, but that they want to tell the story how they want it. It's highly disrespectful.

And so what if the actors would complain? If they think the books material is better they should have the right to it.

It shows they don't care about adapting GRRM's work, but that they want to tell the story how they want it. It's highly disrespectful.

And so what if the actors would complain? If they think the books material is better they should have the right to it.

If you take entertainment industry reportage as gospel then you are nuts. Some actors probably said 'do I need to read the books?' and they told them no. I'm sure there isn't a ban on people reading the books. The showrunners clearly have read the books. Don't read so much into a non story.

If you take entertainment industry reportage as gospel then you are nuts. Some actors probably said 'do I need to read the books?' and they told them no. I'm sure there isn't a ban on people reading the books. The showrunners clearly have read the books. Don't read so much into a non story.

That's not what Iain Glenn said though. Unless you want to argue that he lied to the reporter? 

It doesn't matter. Unlike GRRM, D&D have exactly one year to go over the material they will cover for the season, figure out the general plot of a season, organize it by episode, write the scripts, hire the directors, do casting, scouting locations, oversee the production design, travel to locations, make sure props and sets are how they want them, do rewrites, film scenes, deal with directorial changes, post production and editing.

So they know and GRRM knows that certain changes will be made to characters in that process. They don't have unlimited time to put material in the show, they don't have unlimited time to go over scripts and rework things, so on some level they are going to have to make changes as they see fit and live with them. In addition to everything else they do, they don't need actors coming up to them saying "well in the books this happened". They have time for that. And if some actors can't separate the two, maybe it's better for them to ask them to just go with the material they want them to act out as opposed to the book version and then getting tripped up on the differences.

It doesn't matter. Unlike GRRM, D&D have exactly one year to go over the material they will cover for the season, figure out the general plot of a season, organize it by episode, write the scripts, hire the directors, do casting, scouting locations, oversee the production design, travel to locations, make sure props and sets are how they want them, do rewrites, film scenes, deal with directorial changes, post production and editing.

So they know and GRRM knows that certain changes will be made to characters in that process. They don't have unlimited time to put material in the show, they don't have unlimited time to go over scripts and rework things, so on some level they are going to have to make changes as they see fit and live with them. In addition to everything else they do, they don't need actors coming up to them saying "well in the books this happened". They have time for that. And if some actors can't separate the two, maybe it's better for them to ask them to just go with the material they want them to act out as opposed to the book version and then getting tripped up on the differences.

:agree:  But I don't think if they read the books or not is that big of a deal, from the cast on the comic con panel Gwendoline Christie was the only one that "did the homework" in her words. We have to remember that the actors are paid to act on a TV show, it doesn't necessarily mean that they would want to read a fantasy series of books like we do. Some may become interested in the series from the work, some may not. 

Come on, it was a terrible episode.
If GoT is 'the greatest show on earth', it must live up to the title. Continuity is important, especially in regards to a major point like this. That stupid necklace is why Jaime went to Dorne, and the gods only know how many other things will be developed based on that.

Bryan Cogman is the Continuity expert for the creators is he not? The writer and architect for U,U,U better known as Sansa's wedding night? I finally saw what the guy looks like. I will spare my observations for politeness's sake.

Archived