Maester Luwin Appreciation Thread

This is a thread in appreciation of Maester Luwin.

He was a good and loyal servant of house Stark, and was always kind, patient and helpful to Bran and Rickon, and served as sort of a grandfather figure to them. He seems so helpful in so many ways from teaching, to medicine, to just being an nice presence.

He is one of the few people in ASOIAF who I would classify as a "kind" person. I think there are almost none apart from Davos, Jon,Ned, Bran and maybe Brienne. Idk if most of the Starks and Dany could be classified as particularly kind.

He is very kind to Hodor, and even to Osha, though he has every reason to be mean and suspicious of her.

I was actually kind of sad when he died, but took some comfort from the fact that unlike many characters in ASOIAF, his death was relatively painless.

Even if Maester Luwin did not recognize the warg in Bran, he loved the Stark kiddoes as a father. His training as a maester disallowed him from pursuing magic in depth, which is sad.

It is good to celebrate him.

I loved luwin and i have no doubt that he genuinely loved the starks, but i feel like he was taking part in the citadel conspiracy of hiding magic, at least subconsciously, he after all forged a valyrian steel link, and he trained in the citadel more or less at the same time as marwyn, but yet he stubbornly refuses that there is any kind of magic, i still think its due to the citadel training.. but what would luwin think if he ever saw a dragon

This is a thread in appreciation of Maester Luwin.

He was a good and loyal servant of house Stark, and was always kind, patient and helpful to Bran and Rickon, and served as sort of a grandfather figure to them. He seems so helpful in so many ways from teaching, to medicine, to just being an nice presence.

He is one of the few people in ASOIAF who I would classify as a "kind" person. I think there are almost none apart from Davos, Jon,Ned, Bran and maybe Brienne. Idk if most of the Starks and Dany could be classified as particularly kind.

He is very kind to Hodor, and even to Osha, though he has every reason to be mean and suspicious of her.

I was actually kind of sad when he died, but took some comfort from the fact that unlike many characters in ASOIAF, his death was relatively painless.

What are you talking about, relatively painless. He would have lay in excruciating pain until Bran and the others found him.

I loved luwin and i have no doubt that he genuinely loved the starks, but i feel like he was taking part in the citadel conspiracy of hiding magic, at least subconsciously, he after all forged a valyrian steel link, and he trained in the citadel more or less at the same time as marwyn, but yet he stubbornly refuses that there is any kind of magic, i still think its due to the citadel training.. but what would luwin think if he ever saw a dragon

I think Luwin does 'believe' in magic, he just doesn't see it as very powerful at that point in time.

"Perhaps magic was once a mighty force in the world, but no longer. What little remains is no more than the wisp of smoke that lingers in the air after a great fire has burned out, and even that is fading. Valyria was the last ember, and Valyria is gone. The dragons are no more, the giants are dead, the children of the forest forgotten with all their lore. Clash of Kings- Bran IV

Several others comment that they magic began to diminish when the dragons died. After Daenarys dragon were hatched, magic seemed to be more effective.

(Hallyne to Tyrion) "Oh, pardon, I was just remembering something old Wisdom Pollitor told me once, when I was an acolyte. I'd asked him why so many of our spells seemed, well, not as effectual as the scrolls would have us believe, and he said it was because magic had begun to go out of the world the day the last dragon died." Clash of Kin --Tyrion XI

What are you talking about, relatively painless. He would have lay in excruciating pain until Bran and the others found him.

I meant what I said "relatively." Osha finishing him of was a relatively painless way to go, and even slowly bleeding out would be compared to being flayed alive, burnt at the stake, crucified,fed to a bear, being poisoned with tears of Lys,or having your head crushed in by the mountain

Love me some Maester Luwin, and even if he's a part of some Citadel conspiracy, I think he genuinely loved the Starks. I admire his fierce protective nature over people who are differently-abled (Hodor and Bran). I also like his general scientific attitude and no-nonsense way of doing things, even if magic is real. I was sad to see him go and I miss his character.

His interactions with Theon after he took Winterfell were really interesting too. He could have just let/encouraged Theon to doom himself, but he actually tried his best to help him survive

Probably because he knew Bran and Rickon were safe. Maybe he just was a nice person and genuinely understood Theon's predicament.

Even if he cared about the Starks and was angry at what Theon did, he possibly just had a merciful streak.

He really does seem like a kindly old man on the show

Bump so that this remains above the stupid Baba Ji threads

Baba Ji has thoughts on Luwin too. :)

I just spent 5 hours writing an article about him and the citadel. Not appropriate for an appreciation thread though. He was charming and sweet. The grandfather you would wish for on earth where there is no magic :)

Archived