Dogs

Quorra

12 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Do you know how cold it will be at that hour by the water?? Do you really wanna get stabbed for disrespecting Crispin Glover while you’re cold? Do you understand how humongous a knife fits into knee high engineer boots?

Sounds like someone is being a blustery scaredy cat. 

Which is what cats are. :P

Been nice to have a bunch of extra time with my dog, who is will be 15 this summer, with the quarantine.  She is a super spoiled old lady right now.

She is loving the long walks on the beach and constant puttering around the yard and is probabaly healthier than she's been in two years.  My gf had to go visit her maybe-dying father in Boston last week and it really made me realize how alone I would feel if Darcy (dog) was gone as well.  Silver lining of this thing has been a lot of quality time for dog and human.

1 hour ago, Fury Resurrected said:

If that helps you feel better about a constant need for reassurance and approval from others, which is what dogs are like.

Oh please, Bailey sleeps all day, and I'm only useful to her 90% of the time when she wants something. Which is what cats are like.

But she doesn't randomly attack me from underneath the couch. 

• 1 month later...

After a fairly long run/walk, Bailey killed a chipmunk. She was most proud of herself. I do always hate throwing the things in the garbage and there are little bunnies popping up everywhere, along with the baby squirrels. 

Good girl though. She really hunted it down. 

ETA: But now I get to go pick it up and toss it.

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

After a fairly long run/walk, Bailey killed a chipmunk. She was most proud of herself. I do always hate throwing the things in the garbage and there are little bunnies popping up everywhere, along with the baby squirrels. 

Good girl though. She really hunted it down. 

ETA: But now I get to go pick it up and toss it.

Good for Bailey.

Poor Laci has never caught an animal. Though she does enjoy chasing squirrels and rabbits off the property.

36 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Good for Bailey.

Poor Laci has never caught an animal. Though she does enjoy chasing squirrels and rabbits off the property.

Bailey tends to kill a lot of woodland critters. It's a bit amusing when she gets a big bunny and throws it all over the yard.

35 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Bailey tends to kill a lot of woodland critters. It's a bit amusing when she gets a big bunny and throws it all over the yard.

Why are you letting her do this? In addition to being shitty in general to kill wildlife, your dog can get poisoned or diseased this way.

27 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Why are you letting her do this? In addition to being shitty in general to kill wildlife, your dog can get poisoned or diseased this way.

Let?

ETA: Kay, she's a dog, and one that wants to hunt. It's what she does. She is very well trained and does not bite other dogs, but it would be cruel to not let her hunt smaller things, and frankly it would be impossible to stop her unless she was caged up in the house all day.

Gotta say I'd never "let" my dog kill squirrels, rabbits, etc.  However, I understand if it's just due to letting her out in a fenced in backyard.  Only way to stop that would be to take her out on the leash and that just seems mean.  OTOH, I would and have stopped any dog from attacking critters while out on a walk.  My brother and I used to frequently take care of our friend's pitbull, and it was very difficult to stop her due to her strength, but we did.  My brother almost broke his wrist once Rox was so intense.  

25 minutes ago, DMC said:

Gotta say I'd never "let" my dog kill squirrels, rabbits, etc.  However, I understand if it's just due to letting her out in a fenced in backyard.  Only way to stop that would be to take her out on the leash and that just seems mean.  OTOH, I would and have stopped any dog from attacking critters while out on a walk.  My brother and I used to frequently take care of our friend's pitbull, and it was very difficult to stop her due to her strength, but we did.  My brother almost broke his wrist once Rox was so intense.  

She's a husky who kills things in her garden. That's her job, in part. Pretty sure she's not done much outside of her space. She doesn't even poop outside of her yard. But she will hunt anything within the space she hangs out in, and at times it can be impossible to find her even when both gates and doors are closed. 

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

She's a husky who kills things in her garden.

Ah, yeah, like I said that's understandable.  In my experience the critters usually learn to steer clear pretty quickly.

52 minutes ago, DMC said:

Ah, yeah, like I said that's understandable.  In my experience the critters usually learn to steer clear pretty quickly.

There are a lot here.

It was super cute to find a possum in a waste can a few years back. It literally tried to play dead every time someone looked at it.  

16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It was super cute to find a possum in a waste can a few years back. It literally tried to play dead every time someone looked at it.  

Really? 12 years ago that happened to me. (Possum trapped in garbage can)

The bastard just hissed at me until I knocked the can over so it could escape.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

She's a husky who kills things in her garden. That's her job, in part. Pretty sure she's not done much outside of her space. She doesn't even poop outside of her yard. But she will hunt anything within the space she hangs out in, and at times it can be impossible to find her even when both gates and doors are closed. 

My Border Terrier got hold of a beautiful wood pigeon in the back garden once. She tore it to pieces and it remains one of the most traumatic experiences of my life.

Needless to say, the scolding she received was emphatic enough that we are now able to trot happily past the water chickens being fed in the park, off-lead, and she doesn't even look at them.

And it's not 'her job' to kill for lols. She's not a fucking cat, man.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Let?

Critters carry diseases, snakes can kill. You want your dog to get rabies? Let her indulge, unchecked, in this behaviour. I hope it doesn't escalate to anything more serious. 

Anyone encouraging this kind of shit, and then glorifying it, however amusing, gets marked out as an irresponsible dog owner.

21 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Anyone encouraging this kind of shit, and then glorifying it, however amusing

I agree it shouldn't be encouraged, and certainly is hardly amusing once they catch something.  But in my experience no amount of training is going to stop many dogs from bolting out to the backyard searching for something to chase the moment you open the door.  With my childhood dog I'd always yell as a warning, sure, but I'm sorry not gonna go out there and ensure the yard has been evacuated of critters before every time I let my dog let outside.  I don't think she ever caught all those squirrels that were out there, they knew to run when the door opened.  Seem to recall my dad saying she got a bird once.  Don't see how that works.  How do you catch a bird and not a squirrel?  My dog can fly!

The pitbull I mentioned was one of the best-trained dogs I've ever encountered (she'd even shit on command!), but when I took care of her that didn't stop her from searching under every car in my apartment complex's parking lot like she was after Pablo Escobar.  One of the many reasons I don't think you should own dogs in apartments, which unfortunately is also why I've never owned a dog in my adult life.

Archived