Rant and Rave Without Repercussion: Season 5 Continued (Book Spoilers)

Chebyshov

I've heard good things about that game in terms of its faithfulness to the source material.  I could rant about video game 'critics', but that isn't the place for this, but suffice to say I find critics from media sources not exclusively devoted to video game to be the only ones worth reading. :ohwell:  I suppose in some ways it might be easier to be faithful when you using tertiary and OCs, but you would also thing the desire to WoW people would be greater.  I mean, does the video game audience have more patience and attention to detail than the average TV viewer?  IDK, maybe.  Telltale does such a good job though, the Forresters are derivative without being carbon copies, and they are running multiple plot lines but keeping everything tied together.  It also amuses me how the Telltale Cersei and Tyrion don't really deviate from the GoT versions, despite the fact the GoT versions deviate a bit from the ASoIAF versions.  Marg does come across as an actual player of the game though, so I suppose that is a deviation. :cool4:

Screentime is split between Essos, King's Landing, Ironrath (the North) and the Wall fairly evenly, and while the overreaching plot is about a Northern family they still do a good job of balancing plot-lines, much better than the Lannister-Bolton fanfiction that is GoT atm.  Also does a much better job of making things grim for the Northern protags without making it hopeless.

I can just recommend to watch this trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-BErXHc7fs

You can really see how excited the developers are about ASoIaF. They are fans of the world, that's absolutely clear. I think this is the most important difference. D&D aren't only bad writers, the problem is that all they saw when looking at the books were *shocking* twists. They never really cared for the characters or cared about telling a good story on their own.

I really loved this RPG and considering how much GRRM himself was involved, I am quite curious about a few of the minor details I caught up when playing it. For example there is this Red Priest who is completely baffled when he witnesses a shadow assassin doing his dirty work, making it clear that those things are a speciality from shadowbinders of Asshai and have absolutely nothing to do with the R'hillor-cult. Makes me wonder what past adventures Melisandre had in Asshai to learn those tricks.

The only things I disliked where the hideously ugly dog of the Nightswatchman and the kinda long stretch that two Westerlands-knights for some reason befriended Jon Arryn during the Rebellion. Which wouldn't be so weird if they hadn't mentioned that they fought together some battles and you seriously have to wonder when since Tywin was neutral until the sack of KL.

I've heard good things about that game in terms of its faithfulness to the source material.  I could rant about video game 'critics', but that isn't the place for this, but suffice to say I find critics from media sources not exclusively devoted to video game to be the only ones worth reading. :ohwell:  I suppose in some ways it might be easier to be faithful when you using tertiary and OCs, but you would also thing the desire to WoW people would be greater.  I mean, does the video game audience have more patience and attention to detail than the average TV viewer?  IDK, maybe.  Telltale does such a good job though, the Forresters are derivative without being carbon copies, and they are running multiple plot lines but keeping everything tied together.  It also amuses me how the Telltale Cersei and Tyrion don't really deviate from the GoT versions, despite the fact the GoT versions deviate a bit from the ASoIAF versions.  Marg does come across as an actual player of the game though, so I suppose that is a deviation. :cool4:

Screentime is split between Essos, King's Landing, Ironrath (the North) and the Wall fairly evenly, and while the overreaching plot is about a Northern family they still do a good job of balancing plot-lines, much better than the Lannister-Bolton fanfiction that is GoT atm.  Also does a much better job of making things grim for the Northern protags without making it hopeless.

I'd say, a video game contains much more details and the audience has the luxury of not paying attention to them. To my experience, good video games with a story have a tendency to progress like a book does. That was the expression I got from the first witcher game. 2nd could have been similar too, if it didn't feel it ended a bit quickly.

The game you are discussing, is it the same game with Telltale series' game of thrones? I watched trailers and it really really looks great. Actually I'm so hyped!

The game you are discussing, is it the same game with Telltale series' game of thrones? I watched trailers and it really really looks great.

It seems we are talking about both the RPG and the Telltale adventure. The Telltale-games seem to be mostly focused on the repercussions of the Red Wedding, but I have not played it. I have heard a lot of good about it as well, but I'm kind of careful when it comes to episodic adventures. I prefer to wait until they have finished all episodes.

I have only played the Cyanide RPG about a grim Night's Watchman receiving a strange quest from Jon Arryn and a Lord's son in self-imposed exile returning to help his sister keeping her claim on the castle of Riverspring. The story fits the tone of GRRMs writing exactly, that's what's so awesome about it.

Arya and Needle was a good scene, actually. The Stannis and Shireen scene was great when I watched it but after what happened I just can't like it, knowing why they added it in there. 

Agreed. I actually looked really hard for good moments that made me feel something other than disbelief and/or anger for my characters. Anything from 5. I made a list.

Arya and Needle- heart tug

Jaime gazing at Tarth-heart tug

Stannis and Shireen's uncool in hindsight heart tugging

Cersei licking the floor-emotionally satisfying.

The fight between Jon and WW, particularly their mutual expression of "wtf?!" when his sword didn't break. -funny but also exciting.

Karsi the Wildling-inspiring and made me long for more of this kind of female character

Maester Aemon's last words from Sam.-heart tug just because I love Aemon in all his forms and we'll never see his like again...except for Dunk and Egg novellas or a made for television prequel.

I don't want him back they've done enough damage to stannis

Where I agree- there is a part of me who thinks stannis is maybe the most interesting character in asoiaf history. He ranks up there with Grand Admiral Thrawn, Mara Jade, Hermione Granger (till book 6) and Dwalin (the book hobbit). Unlike Daenerys, Tyrion, Ned, Jon, Uncat, sansa, or littlefinger his fate actually perplexs me. If he dies in winds so be it- however I have a feeling that Stannis Baratheon will go down in writing history. I am not a fan of his action's ( if he really cared about the realm he should have let renly win, asked for the tyrell forces, march on the wildings, and then fight the white walkers- he didn't need to be king) but the build of his character has been very unique.

Please, please, let Stannis be dead on the show. Please. I can't take anymore butchery. As a matter of fact, I hope some cataclysmic event happens in show Westeros between s 5 and 6 and next year they're all dead: Stannis, Sansa, Theon, Jon, Arya, Dany, Tyrion, Doran, Jaime, Brienne. 

BTW, did we see Brienne at all after the killed Stannis?

On a side note, need help with something. Does anyone else save links? I'm looking for one - and I can't remember whether it was a written interview or something on YT, but it's where Martin says something along the lines of [when asked about books and show ending the same way]: 'if by same end you mean who will sit the IT, then yes'. 

Where I agree- there is a part of me who thinks stannis is maybe the most interesting character in asoiaf history. He ranks up there with Grand Admiral Thrawn, Mara Jade, Hermione Granger (till book 6) and Dwalin (the book hobbit). Unlike Daenerys, Tyrion, Ned, Jon, Uncat, sansa, or littlefinger his fate actually perplexs me. If he dies in winds so be it- however I have a feeling that Stannis Baratheon will go down in writing history. I am not a fan of his action's ( if he really cared about the realm he should have let renly win, asked for the tyrell forces, march on the wildings, and then fight the white walkers- he didn't need to be king) but the build of his character has been very unique.

He's probably my favourite character hes a great mix of so many things i kind of want him to defeat the others without Jon or dany no dragons or special snowflake required just a bald man with an iron will.

I am not a fan of his action's ( if he really cared about the realm he should have let renly win, asked for the tyrell forces, march on the wildings, and then fight the white walkers- he didn't need to be king) but the build of his character has been very unique.

How should he know about the Wildlings and the White Walkers? For all he knew he was only both trying to get rid of the incest abomination that sat unrightfully on the throne while denying Renly to make a precedent about claiming the throne simply because of superior forces. Seriously, if Stannis had stepped down in favour of Renly, peaceful successions to the throne would have become nearly impossible in the future. Stannis rigid sense of justice is not without justification, especially when considering how feudal societies work with traditions and duty.

And yes, I want him to survive the story. He would be an awesome hand if the Iron Throne still exists, but an even more awesome Storm King if the realm splits apart like I expect. But with Shireen being burned in his absence I fear the worst.

He's probably my favourite character hes a great mix of so many things i kind of want him to defeat the others without Jon or dany no dragons or special snowflake required just a bald man with an iron will.

It would be better for the story. That's not how Martin is however. Most writers need  a hero. Even the ones who want dark endings.

How should he know about the Wildlings and the White Walkers? For all he knew he was only both trying to get rid of the incest abomination that sat unrightfully on the throne while denying Renly to make a precedent about claiming the throne simply because of superior forces. Seriously, if Stannis had stepped down in favour of Renly, peaceful successions to the throne would have become nearly impossible in the future. Stannis rigid sense of justice is not without justification, especially when considering how feudal societies work with traditions and duty.

And yes, I want him to survive the story. He would be an awesome hand if the Iron Throne still exists, but an even more awesome Storm King if the realm splits apart like I expect. But with Shireen being burned in his absence I fear the worst.

Actually if stannis knelt to renly the baratheon wouldve cleaned up and nothing would change in the long run plenty of times in real history uncles and brothers usurped thrones and it didn't change inheritance laws or set precedents.

Yeah, but having read a lot about medieval England in the last few weeks, I came to the conclusion that it all these succession conflicts made the country a catastrophic mess Westeros pales in comparison. Heck, with the exception of the occasional Blackfyre pretenders the Targs were beacons of stability in comparison. So in regards to Westeros, it would have opened the doors to even more conflict in the future.

Edit: Oh, and to not become completely off-topic: The show sucks!

Didn't everyone know of the wilding army? Maybe it was only Ned but I swear some of the other lords knew. Robert sending stannis would have been a very robert thing to do. The raven sam sent was sent in acok? I need to read the books again. it's been three years but i shouldn't have them this mired considering ASOS was the crowning achievement of the series.  Right, Stannis got the raven after blackwater and moved up half way through storm. Regardless, Aemon stepped down from the crown... then Stannis would have taken the black. That's not Stannis. I'll have to think on that.

I also agree. The burning confirmation was a horrible thing.

Yeah, but having read a lot about medieval England in the last few weeks, I came to the conclusion that it all these succession conflicts made the country a catastrophic mess Westeros pales in comparison. Heck, with the exception of the occasional Blackfyre pretenders the Targs were beacons of stability in comparison. So in regards to Westeros, it would have opened the doors to even more conflict in the future.

If you think England was bad look at a weak hre or even worse the ere were anyone could be emperor and losing the throne usually meant losing your balls or eyes along with your son's getting the same treatment, roughly between 600 and 700 ad there was a revolt to place someone on the throne and he hid in a forest rather than accept the job he was eventually found and crowned before being deposed in a year and sent to a monetary though I think he kept all his bits so that was nice. I don't blame the guy for hiding in a first I'd have done the same.

Regardless, Aemon stepped down from the crown...

I only sweep in to correct that: Aemon was already disinherited due to him being a Maester when Aegon took the throne. He just joined the Night's Watch to get even further away from trouble.

I only sweep in to correct that: Aemon was already disinherited due to him being a Maester when Aegon took the throne. He just joined the Night's Watch to get even further away from trouble.

I need to reread. I have been promising myself to do it for a year but I just don't have the time. Rather, I watch far to much television for my own good.

Nope, he was offered the IT and declined. At any rate, shouldn't we get back on topic? :)

Archived