Rant and Rave Without Repercussion: Season 5 Continued (Book Spoilers)

Chebyshov

I've been part of a particular online community for over 10 years. It's full of almost entirely liberal-minded feminists. Part of why I got into the show was the people there talking about it all the time and I knew if these people who shared many of my beliefs and interests liked it, well, it was worth a shot. I fell in love with S1 and read all five books before S2 started. I went from completely newbie in that community to Maester about the show/books. I earned those links of my chain that I forged.

It wasn't always a place of hive mind, but the discussions were reasoned and measured and fair. Then this season happened. When UUU aired some of us immediately lost it and instead of finding allies, we were laughed at and insulted and subjected to condescending gifsets.  I couldn't believe it. One of the main premises of that site was an abhorrence to rape and rape culture, so from them of all people it was a massive betrayal. I felt like Robb Stark and Catelyn when the Rains of Castamere started playing. I was like looking around being all "Seriously?" and just got stabbed when I thought I was safe.

I mean, I get that not everyone is going to feel as strongly as I did. I understand that and I'm jealous of people who can look past the stuff that I can't unsee.  I wish this could be unproblematic popcorn prestige tv for me.  But I don't insult them, so I don't know why it's not a two-way street.  I can't even go into the non-GOT threads on that board without feeling dirty now. I don't expect people to be like "wow that's a great point and now I see it your way" but I don't want to constantly be insulted because I think a non-book rape of a main character is bad. Or several of them and/or attempted rapes, as the tally stands now. 

These threads are the only places I feel sane. I don't hate people who aren't as upset as me, but I hate the disgust flung in my direction. 

UUU was a nightmare that still resonates with me.

So I just found out that Jon Snow will return.  My first question is why did Kit Harrington keep lying about not coming back?

Because he was told to? Anyways, as I said a gazillion times, I never for a split second believed any of this 'deader than dead not ever coming back' :bs:

Because he was told to? Anyways, as I said a gazillion times, I never for a split second believed any of this 'deader than dead not ever coming back' :bs:

Exactly. The fact they told people to lie is pretty bad, though. I mean, we were going to find out sooner or later that they have lied, and no one in their right minds will ever believe them again. What about Stannis, then?

It's going to end up looking like a mess. Should have just stuck with "no comment" or something along those lines.

Actually, the proper response would have been "those who have read the books would know the answer". That would have made people read and keep the GoT interest going on until next year.

But of course, that would have made people read...

Exactly. The fact they told people to lie is pretty bad, though. I mean, we were going to find out sooner or later that they have lied, and no one in their right minds will ever believe them again. What about Stannis, then?

That's a good question. I think he's dead though. I think the line about not showing it 'because it would have been gratuitous' is of course more bullshit, and that the reason they didn't show it was to cloud the issue [of Jon's deadness] further.

But given how Stannis was portrayed from s 2 until now, I honestly hope he is dead and gone for good. I mean, can you imagine how much more the character would be fucked up if he were alive? Defeated in the most pathetic way by the show's fave villain, wife took her own life, only child and sole heir burnt at the stake because they were going to miss a meal. I don't want to see that.

Actually, the proper response would have been "those who have read the books would know the answer". That would have made people read and keep the GoT interest going on until next year.

But of course, that would have made people read...

Yeah, good point. Imagine how the logistics would be complicated, having to burn all those who dared... :laugh:

these people are the same ones that told us all last offseason that Sansa was going to kick ass and be empowered, "Dark Sansa", "Darth Sansa"... and what we got was "Rape Victim Sansa".  Do not believe anything they say, trust the cast sightings and set sightings and that will be spoiler enough.

I wish Talisa would return as Stoneheart. It would be the nail in the coffin.

That would be perfect. How many ways can they diss Cat. Too bad Olly couldn't get in on this somehow. While he was stabbing Jon, he could have said, "Lady Catelyn sends her regards."

Archived