Rant and Rave Without Repercussion: Season 5 Continued (Book Spoilers)

Chebyshov

I will start re-watching s 5 today. Is it possible it wasn't as bad as I think right now? I don't think so, but will re-watch the whole bloody thing again - and will probably end up finding more idiotic things, more appallingly bad dialogue, and even bigger plot holes. 

ps: can someone tell me if I have an avi? looks like a blank brownish square for me, no idea why...

You have a broken image from what I can see.

Also hats off to you for braving that. When you get to 5x04 really let the complexity of Dave Hill's dialogue fill you.

What's more badass than being incapable to rule even when you aren't facing any particular problems, randomly killing people, forcing people to marry you, making threats, and then turning into a little kitten who needs to be rescued the moment there's a riot and your life is threatened?

Joffrey was the ultimate badass of GoT.

You go, girl!  On fire today

ps: can someone tell me if I have an avi? looks like a blank brownish square for me, no idea why...

'Tis kind of a Burnt Umber color (Burnt Greatjon Umber?) .... no image, just a orangy brown square

You have a broken image from what I can see.

Also hats off to you for braving that. When you get to 5x04 really let the complexity of Dave Hill's dialogue fill you.

My account here is linked with Twitter; I changed the avi there, and it should have changed here as well but it didn't, and I have no idea why... :frown5: 

Regarding the show, I feel I have to watch it again. I'm not looking forward to it, but I am curious to see whether now I'll find it worse than the first time around or better. (My guess is I'll find it worse but we'll see)

'Tis kind of a Burnt Umber color (Burnt Greatjon Umber?) .... no image, just a orangy brown square

Tks! That's what I'm getting too. :(

I think I may give Season 5 another watch as well, and then re-read the books again to compare :D.

I was about to start another re-read but I'd never do both more or less at the same time as that can turn out to be way too depressing! :laugh:

But this time I will watch it with pen and paper to hand.

I'm going to do the "Boiled Leather" re-read of the last two books simultaneously ... that should keep me busy for a while.

Me too.  Gonna wait until the holidays to knock this out before the (hopeful) WoW release

I was about to start another re-read but I'd never do both more or less at the same time as that can turn out to be way too depressing! :laugh:

But this time I will watch it with pen and paper to hand.

I think it'll make Season 5 more bearable, knowing I'll be able to read the books afterwards :P.

So the show is just using fantasy to get a free pass from making sense?

Kinda. the show is using the fact some believe fantasy doesn't need to be coherent and having a mature plot.

But also, yes, the show is getting a very odd bias. For example, I just read a professional WP review from a known website in which the author says the show is bad because there are plot twists that M Night S like to put in all of his work whether they make sense or not. Well, MNS didn't write Wayward Pines, and the books were well received. If a review starts with such a blatant mistake, it's obvious they aren't doing their job right (independently from the quality of such show).

Now, compare those reviews with the ones GoT has. They simply disregard every single mistake like it's nothing. With WP, they took every thing that is not in-your-face obvious and call it plot hole, which they use to say the show is bad (it's not bad).

All of that is ironic. Because, to me, it looks like D&D have a very high disregard for every fantasy element from the books, yet, they rely on the fact GoT is fantasy to not having asked the questions we should be asking.

Compare the reviews of GOT to True Detective.  Crticis expect TD to make sense, they expect to be able to follow the plot and for it to make sense, for there to be proper continuity for twists, etc. etc. and when they feel it doesn't, is too muddy or convoluted, it's bashed.  

Contrast with GOT.  All our horses are gone/Mel rode off on a horse within the span of minutes.  No mention.  No mention of the in universe silliness of LF/Sansa/Roose.  The show makes a point of the Hound being wanted and recognized, then leaves the Vale.  No mention. 

Critics don't care if GOT plots make any sense, it's being evaluated on a different basis, not being held to the same standard as other allegedly prestige programming.

This in spades.  I remember a time when the internet was dawning and I thought it might be a positive vehicle for consensus, debate and the mixing of ideas to come to better understanding via the free marketplace of ideas ideals.  Instead it seems to have caused people to polarize into echo chambers and has seriously hurt the ability to critically think.  And that blind defense of my echo chamber, usually triggered by catch phrases instead of analysis is what I find truly sad.

And I'm aware my desire to post mostly in this thread is myself exhibiting that behavior, I'm just no longer capable of fighting the fight.

And in any case, it might serve everyone best of the discussion veered back towards the show itself and away from the show apologists.  I didn't mean to open a can of worms.

Humanity has and always will work ot the lowest common dominator. The internet is the worlds most capable hate machine and has no meaning besides pandering to people's ego now. It's a shame what happened to it. It's the wild wild west- with corporations and governments watching the mess.

Compare the reviews of GOT to True Detective.  Crticis expect TD to make sense, they expect to be able to follow the plot and for it to make sense, for there to be proper continuity for twists, etc. etc. and when they feel it doesn't, is too muddy or convoluted, it's bashed.  

Contrast with GOT.  All our horses are gone/Mel rode off on a horse within the span of minutes.  No mention.  No mention of the in universe silliness of LF/Sansa/Roose.  The show makes a point of the Hound being wanted and recognized, then leaves the Vale.  No mention. 

Critics don't care if GOT plots make any sense, it's being evaluated on a different basis, not being held to the same standard as other allegedly prestige programming.

Yes. And I think it's because GoT is fantasy. People has fantasy in a very low standard. How many people went to see LotR because of the plot and the story? Probably very few compared to those who were for the EPIC BATTLES AND THE MAGIC.

Here's the thing Cas, somewhere along the road (probably season 2/3), critics stopped looking at GoT being in the running for the GOAT, whereas TD is still (but most likely won't be after this season) in the running for the GOAT.

Here's the thing Cas, somewhere along the road (probably season 2/3), critics stopped looking at GoT being in the running for the GOAT, whereas TD is still (but most likely won't be after this season) in the running for the GOAT.

What's GOAT? Is it an award where they present the show runners with an actual goat?

Archived