Rant and Rave Without Repercussion: Season 5 Continued (Book Spoilers)

Chebyshov

I'll be honest here. In my case, I didn't know they had actively discouraged actors from reading the books. I mean, I knew many of the actors hadn't read all the books, but I didn't really know D & D had actively discouraged it. The fact they did so, is pretty maddening. Not only does it tend to show that they intended to make some big changes from the get go, but, also, it seems to show that D & D's egos are so fragile that they didn't want anybody challenging them on some of their decisions. What a couple of chumps.

Reading books will give you greyscale. It is known.

I know what I want from the folks adapting a work I care about is for their eyes to glaze over when talking about the source material.

Just awesome.

It just shows their devotion to the books really. Clearly the mere mention of the source material has them gripped with rapturous visions of Martin's story.

Wow. I knew they didn't like actors second guessing their choices, but wow. I've never heard of anything like that in other book to film projects. Let's encourage ignorance.

That was my first thought...though he does say he hopes to be standing with Dany when she gets the throne.

I don't get it. No direction or scrawled script notes can help an actor find his character the way all the details and motivations in the books can. Why would they cut off such rich source material, when actors know adaptations have differences due to book to film translation? That seems control-freaky and stupid to me.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-07-23/game-of-thrones-showrunners-tell-the-cast-not-to-read-george-rr-martins-books

“I don’t read the books. I read the first one when they gave me the job, just to get a feel from it and a synopsis breakdown of what was going to happen to the character. But beyond that, the writers themselves, David and Dan, they didn’t particularly want actors coming to the scripts from the book, always suggesting what the book did and how it was different – I could see the glazed look in their eyes when that happened.”

Must contain...the rage. 

These people SUCK. Now I hate just show fans. Their dead to me. The show is dead to me.

Apparently they bribed a book fan to make them ASOIAF flash cards so they knew all the highlights and potential theories, and one of them happened to have the answer to who Jon's mother was.

Where did you find this?

I think that last part is sarcasm, about the fan and the flashcards, LOL.

But, yeah, it's terrible that they discourage the actors from reading the books, and even possibly took action against actors who did read the books.

I remember the first year, maybe the second, most the main cast was reading the books..Alfie, Kit, Emelia, Maise, Sophie, Michele off the top of my head.  But by season 4/season 5 none of the actors talked anymore about the books except to say they stopped reading them.  We know Selmy's actor read the books and got killed early. Same for Myrcella 1. Alfie I think has read all the books, but we hardly saw him this year.  Yes, I could make a very credible conspiracy theory out of book reading actors getting the shaft.

But, yeah, it's terrible that they discourage the actors from reading the books, and even possibly took action against actors who did read the books.

I remember the first year, maybe the second, most the main cast was reading the books..Alfie, Kit, Emelia, Maise, Sophie, Michele off the top of my head.  But by season 4/season 5 none of the actors talked anymore about the books except to say they stopped reading them.  We know Selmy's actor read the books and got killed early. Same for Myrcella 1. Alfie I think has read all the books, but we hardly saw him this year.  Yes, I could make a very credible conspiracy theory out of book reading actors getting the shaft.

Especially given how they loved Theon in Season 2. Everyone was sure that there would be a lot of focus on him in ADWD in S5, as it's widely regarded as some of Martin's best writing to date.

Especially given how they loved Theon in Season 2. Everyone was sure that there would be a lot of focus on him in ADWD in S5, as it's widely regarded as some of Martin's best writing to date.

Yeah I was truly shocked that season 5 @ winterfell was more about Ramsay than Theon or Sansa or Roose or the North.  Very weird.  

Somebody somewhere I'm sure has or will count up the lines that the actors had, I hate to think how many characters will have more than Alfie did in what should have been his showcase season.

The worst part is that I honestly think D&D consider this Sansa's arc. Seriously. Even though she did nothing.

That gets back to the show's many unforced errors.  

No one forced them to go out and talk about how season 5 Sansa would become empowered, turn the tables on her captors and all around behave in a totally different, more forceful way than she had before....

When the truth of the script they wrote....had her doing nothing of the kind....had her wandering around winterfell, sitting in her room, asking for help...the most empowered she got was being pouty and sulky and occasionally sassy, which in light of her circumstances was quite stupid behavior....and ultimately being saved by Theon in a random 'in the moment' act of his doing, not hers. Empowered Sansa was asking for the crossbow.

These people SUCK. Now I hate just show fans. Their dead to me. The show is dead to me.

Where did you find this?

This blows my mind.  I'm without words.

That gets back to the show's many unforced errors.  

No one forced them to go out and talk about how season 5 Sansa would become empowered, turn the tables on her captors and all around behave in a totally different, more forceful way than she had before....

When the truth of the script they wrote....had her doing nothing of the kind....had her wandering around winterfell, sitting in her room, asking for help...the most empowered she got was being pouty and sulky and occasionally sassy, which in light of her circumstances was quite stupid behavior....and ultimately being saved by Theon in a random 'in the moment' act of his doing, not hers. Empowered Sansa was asking for the crossbow.

Hey she became EmpoweredAssertiveTM when she picked that lock

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-07-23/game-of-thrones-showrunners-tell-the-cast-not-to-read-george-rr-martins-books

“I don’t read the books. I read the first one when they gave me the job, just to get a feel from it and a synopsis breakdown of what was going to happen to the character. But beyond that, the writers themselves, David and Dan, they didn’t particularly want actors coming to the scripts from the book, always suggesting what the book did and how it was different – I could see the glazed look in their eyes when that happened.”

Must contain...the rage. 

I... I... I cannot even... Sure, the suspicions were always there, but that's just so insulting to everyone who has ever adapted anything...

I always knew it though. They ARE like that atrocious drama-teacher I had in highschool. I honestly could never work with people like this without going crazy.

On a different note. I actually came here because I recently stumbled about this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THAtIeeNZsc

Game of Thrones Action Figures. The video is infantile, focuses on sex and violence and blames GRRM for every death. So it's exactly like D&Ds personality is. I wonder why they haven't already brought those out.

The worst part is that I honestly think D&D consider this Sansa's arc. Seriously. Even though she did nothing.

Meh, I think they know what her arc is, and if they didn't, GRRM told them. She's just not their kind of woman, and she rejected Saint Tyrion, that put the nails in the coffin. They just have no interest in someone like her, so they have to think of other ways to make use of her.

Put Rory McCann on your list.  He said he read the first book and that GRRM autographed his copy as well.  I tried to find the vid where he talks about the Hound being messed up from his burns, but couldn't find that one, so I'll include this one where he discusses Sansa.  This shows that at the actors took the book seriously.  But now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJIRgfuol4w

Oh no I completely made it up. :) I was trying to be sarcastic.

GRRM let them do the show because they guessed Jon's mother. I was trying to figure out how they would do that since they obviously don't like the books.

They probably just did a bit of research and saw a thread about R+L=J or something like that. 

They probably just did a bit of research and saw a thread about R+L=J or something like that.

Well, R+L=J is all over the forums here, they must have browsed the threads before the deal was struck when they posted here.

Well, R+L=J is all over the forums here, they must have browsed the threads before the deal was struck when they posted here.

They used to have an account on here. Well they technically still do. They used it to ask fans for casting suggestions. But of course once season 1 was a success they didn't give one groat about us. 

Oh I have no doubt they read the books and loved them. But they loved them for different reasons than GRRM thought they did.  They loved them because they saw the RW putting them on all kinds of TV lists, they saw all those TV set pieces and wow moments as chances to break the Internet and twitter.

And, as the show become more successful, they became more arrogant, more convinced that it was THEM, and not GRRM material that was the reason for the success, so they began to abandon the books, even to the point of discouraging actors to read them.

Hence, how we got to the bad pussy and all the rest of it.  

They used to have an account on here. Well they technically still do. They used it to ask fans for casting suggestions. But of course once season 1 was a success they didn't give one groat about us.

Yeah, that's what I said, they must have browsed the threads long before the deal was struck and they started posting.

Oh I have no doubt they read the books and loved them. But they loved them for different reasons than GRRM thought they did.  They loved them because they saw the RW putting them on all kinds of TV lists, they saw all those TV set pieces and wow moments as chances to break the Internet and twitter.

And, as the show become more successful, they became more arrogant, more convinced that it was THEM, and not GRRM material that was the reason for the success, so they began to abandon the books, even to the point of discouraging actors to read them.

Hence, how we got to the bad pussy and all the rest of it.

Yeah, that's my take on it as well.

Archived